Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA142 JFK-LHR day flight shutters closed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
there are plenty of night flight options for those who want to be in darkness on an aeroplane
Or they can use a sleep mask and be in personal darkness without forcing their wishes on others. It's much harder to be in personal light unless the airlines start providing blackout curtained seats.
ijgordon, jordyn, salut0 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines
I don’t like engaging on here because generally speaking facts are treated as opinions and opinions are treated as facts. But I will say, if someone needs darkness, and open shade prevents that as one window can flood the plane with light. If someone needs light, they can use the overhead lights which do not flood the plane. Sure, sometimes I would prefer day light, but the overhead lights are fine for doing work and if it allows my fellow pax to enjoy their flight, so be it.

Makes no sense to ruin a flight for others because I need a certain type of light. But in today’s world I guess being considerate towards others is dead.

I applaud CX who doesn’t give you a choice: company policy is shades closed.

Cheers,
TG
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nobody needs darkness and nobody needs light on the flight

Those that want to ensure darkness can book one of the overnight flights
Those booking on a daytime flight, should have a reasonable expectation that it will be light during the day

CX may have crew trying to close shades, but if the request by cabin crew to close shades is refused, the crew will go away leaving the shade open
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
I think everyone should do what I want them to do, and I shouldn't be required to do what anyone else wants me to do.

/thread
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Call me crazy, but often times I like to keep the window shade open to, you know, see out the window. However, I will say the length of the flight matters. If it’s a 2-hour daytime flight I’m more inclined to keep it open. If it’s an overnight TATL flight then I certainly don’t mind having it closed as the first light of day overseas can be tough to adjust to.
Spanish likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I suspect the FAs want the shades closed so the cabin would be dark which encourages more passengers to sleep. Then fewer people ask the FAs for things which means less work for the FAs.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:03 pm
Suspended

For those support the windows to be kept open during transatlantic flight, I strongly suggest you to read the linked article.

Frequent flying seems glamorous, but it comes with serious health risks

Also some other information

Flying: What is the radiation level at a cruising altitude of 25000 ft?

Radiation Exposure of Air Carrier Crewmembers – FAA AC 120-52

Air travel exposes you to radiation – how much health risk comes with it?

I can cites more info if you needed. Some source are good and some are not very scientific. But the general consent is there whether you believe it or not.

it is your choice to keep the windows open if you sit next to the window. But it has health implications.

and Cabin Crew does not ask you to close windows so that they can do less job. It is about their health too.

Last edited by FlyerTalker688786; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by chongcao
For those support the windows to be kept open during transatlantic flight, I strongly suggest you to read the linked article.Frequent flying seems glamorous, but it comes with serious health risks

it is your choice to keep the windows open if you sit next to the window. But it has health implications.

and Cabin Crew does not ask you to close windows so that they can do less job. It is about their health too.
There is absolutely nothing in that article that says anything about closing the windows or describes any health risks that stem from having the windows opened. The main health risk the article discusses is radiation. (That said, if you look at the statistics, you'll find that flying with the frequency of flight crew on a polar route is about 1/4 as bad for you as smoking: that's bad, but not going to kill you very quickly.) Closing the window shade does nothing to keep radiation out, which is presumably why the article doesn't include the word "window" or "shade". (Well, speaking as a physicist, I'll point out that visible and ultraviolet light are radiation too, but that's not what they mean.)

There is certainly an argument for doing everything possible to minimize jetlag. However, that doesn't argue for keeping the windows closed during the day; quite the contrary. For jetlag, the best thing you can do is do everything you can to set your body to destination time when you step on the plane. That means that if it's daytime at your destination, you should not be sleeping; you also shouldn't have the windowshade closed trying to convince your body that it's nighttime.

Therefore, the suggestion that leaving the window shades open has health risks to me seems to be uninformed fearmongering.
ijgordon, salut0 and Spanish like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
Therefore, the suggestion that leaving the window shades open has health risks to me seems to be uninformed fearmongering.
Sorry I was in the process editing my post when you replied.

It is your freedom to disregard your own health. But please do not quickly shoot the messenger. Many years ago it is fashionable to smoke on the plane and people quickly disregards the health risks for people surrounded by smokers.

keep the shutters down may not prevent the radiation. But it certainly stops most of the sunbeam into the cabin thus less risks.

There are more evidences I can find for you if you are interested. But if you decide to counter the health argument I would suggest you to calm down and look at this issue from other peoples point of view seriously.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Sorry I was in the process editing my post when you replied.

It is your freedom to disregard your own health. But please do not quickly shoot the messenger. Many years ago it is fashionable to smoke on the plane and people quickly disregards the health risks for people surrounded by smokers.

keep the shutters down may not prevent the radiation. But it certainly stops most of the sunbeam into the cabin thus less risks.

There are more evidences I can find for you if you are interested. But if you decide to counter the health argument I would suggest you to calm down and look at this issue from other peoples point of view seriously.
I'm not shooting the messenger; I'm pointing out that the messenger has not actually provided any evidence supporting their claim about window shades. It is absolutely true that there is a negative health effect due to ionizing radiation. I have looked at all four of the articles you linked to; not one supports your assertion that closing the window shades reduces the ionizing radiation at all. And you also haven't pointed to any evidence that leaving the window shade open leads to any increased harm from UV radiation: there's essentially no direct sunlight in the cabin even with the window shades open because the sun is too high to shine directly in. There was some credible-looking evidence posted earlier about the impact of UVA radiation in the cockpit where they are exposed to direct sunlight through the window.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by ashill
Closing the window shade does nothing to keep radiation out...speaking as a physicist,
You just can't argue with physics

I like window seats on the aeroplane. I read books during travels, and enjoy the natural light.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I see a new elite enhancement coming up. CKs get 100% override on 787, EXP 80%, Plat PRO 60%, Platinum 40% and Gold 20% - you can also buy a Window Control Upgrade for $120 per segment.

Let's turn those 787 into more of a money maker
ashill, apeortdz, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying_geek
I see a new elite enhancement coming up. CKs get 100% override on 787, EXP 80%, Plat PRO 60%, Platinum 40% and Gold 20% - you can also buy a Window Control Upgrade for $120 per segment.

Let's turn those 787 into more of a money maker
Like those binoculars on top of the Empire State Building or wherever, insert 25 cents and you can look for 60 seconds. Hopefully it will take Apple Pay.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:33 pm

Hahahahahahaha. You think the little window shades block out cosmic radiation? You will have to let the people who set up bomb shelters know that instead of digging those things underground they can just put some plastic window shades on the outside of buildings instead.
LondonElite and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jordyn
Hahahahahahaha. You think the little window shades block out cosmic radiation? You will have to let the people who set up bomb shelters know that instead of digging those things underground they can just put some plastic window shades on the outside of buildings instead.
first please do not shoot the messenger

second, you can not compare apples and oranges. The radiation level are vastly different between the two you are trying to compare.

third, if you know any hard evidence that window shutters does not prevent sunbeam damage to human above 30000 feet and or the actual number of radiation level with windows shut or open, please kindly share here. If not I see no problem of shutting the window for health reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.