Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA service hitting rock bottom? (Disappointing DFW-MAD J)

Old Aug 24, 17, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum, Delta, Alaska, Hyatt, SPG

I recently flew AA J for the first time since last November. This was DFW-MAD. I was really excited about this flight, since they have on this route their new 787-9 with one of my favorite business class seats: the B/E aerospace super diamond.
As the boarding process started we were among the first to board the plane. When we got to the plane we were greeted by...no one. No member of the crew was there to greet the passengers as they boarded the plane. We proceeded to find our seats with no help from the crew. I can manage finding my own seats, but, really? On a long-haul premium cabin, in one of their flagship planes? No one to greet the passengers?
After 15-20 mins. in our seats, finally, a member of the crew came to introduce herself. At least pre-departure drinks were served (always an iffy proposition on AA). The service the rest of the flight was just Meh.
And then , the food. Ughhhh! The worst food I have been served in J, probably ever. It was some kind of creole duck breast that was just inedible.
I flew AA J several times last year and was pleased with what I perceived as improvements in their product, but this flight, this was a big step backwards.
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA CK, EK Platinum
Food is hit or miss, as with so many other airlines as well. No greetings on the door? Seems like a miscommunication in between ground staff and cabin crew. It happens.

You still got to enjoy a decent hard product on a nonstop service. I guess we can all agree that dining on AA is usually not something to look forward to in general.
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by ckx2 View Post
Food is hit or miss, as with so many other airlines as well. No greetings on the door? Seems like a miscommunication in between ground staff and cabin crew. It happens
Probably the gate agents didn't notify that passengers were on their way down. I've walked into the cabin many times only to startle the flight attendants.
JonNYC, deeruck, jhartvu and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ErickG View Post
I recently flew AA J for the first time since last November. This was DFW-MAD. I was really excited about this flight, since they have on this route their new 787-9 with one of my favorite business class seats: the B/E aerospace super diamond.
As the boarding process started we were among the first to board the plane. When we got to the plane we were greeted by...no one. No member of the crew was there to greet the passengers as they boarded the plane. We proceeded to find our seats with no help from the crew. I can manage finding my own seats, but, really? On a long-haul premium cabin, in one of their flagship planes? No one to greet the passengers?
After 15-20 mins. in our seats, finally, a member of the crew came to introduce herself. At least pre-departure drinks were served (always an iffy proposition on AA). The service the rest of the flight was just Meh.
And then , the food. Ughhhh! The worst food I have been served in J, probably ever. It was some kind of creole duck breast that was just inedible.
I flew AA J several times last year and was pleased with what I perceived as improvements in their product, but this flight, this was a big step backwards.
How much "service" do you need on an overnight flight?
Slow week?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28669474-post379.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28683943-post411.html
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PltPro /1MM
IMO the service hit rock bottom shortly prior to the hiring of new FA's. Since then I feel it's improved.
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by AAway View Post
IMO the service hit rock bottom shortly prior to the hiring of new FA's. Since then I feel it's improved.
FWIW I don't think there would be any "new" flight attendants on a senior tenure heavy flight like this.
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Datum is a small part of data.

Last month, I had one of my best AA flights ever, in 70 years.PHX-SMF. A senior FA, one of the best (possibly the best) I've had on any flight.

As to food, could this be by design? Unite union, representing workers at LSG SkyChefs, is trying to get a wage increase. At LAX, they've been picketing AA to "inform" passengers how unsuitable and unsanitary SkyChefs food is. Correlation? Maybe. (Bragging about terrible food prepared in unsanitary conditions as well as poorly "pre-prepared" food itself doesn't make me wanna love 'em.)
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I actually find that service has improved, across the board this year over last year. PDB percentage is up and I've been generally impressed especially by domestic crews

On my four TPAC segments in J I've had one excellent crew, two good to very good ones and one poor crew where I just had bad luck of the draw it seemed (other aisle was much better taken care of).

Food on the other hand, we all agree could use some improvement. I just wish AA would stick to what works instead of trying to wow us by using some exotic ingredient. Stay away from beef (other than something like short rib), stick to saucy foods, Indian dishes, etc and you're usually pretty good
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lds89 View Post
Food on the other hand, we all agree could use some improvement. I just wish AA would stick to what works instead of trying to wow us by using some exotic ingredient. Stay away from beef (other than something like short rib), stick to saucy foods, Indian dishes, etc and you're usually pretty good
But food is so subjective! For example, I've had VERY good beef on airplanes in the past. UA did a wonderful, carved-at-your-seat beef entree back in the 80's. I would try to upgrade on the transcon and Hawaii flights where it was served.

I do agree that AA should stick to the basics. They could bring back "retro" menus from the early to mid-90's and easily have the best food in the industry.
Saulinpa likes this.
Old Aug 24, 17, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
FWIW I don't think there would be any "new" flight attendants on a senior tenure heavy flight like this.
FWIW, I haven't ever really noticed much of a relationship between crew seniority and quality of service. I've had fabulous and horrendous service from all seniorities, and lots in between!
Old Aug 24, 17, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
You can order your meal in advance in J, so presumably you did so. Either way, ordering the duck would be extremely risky. Duck can be tricky to cook properly (i.e. medium rare) in a restaurant, so I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be for an airline to serve properly cooked duck in the air.

Blame AA all you want, but ordering the duck is asking to be disappointed.
Old Aug 24, 17, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EP
And you would be wrong. Many of the newer FAs pick this up on reserve.

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Old Aug 24, 17, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver, Marr LTTitanium, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Wink

Originally Posted by ErickG View Post
Seems to me to be a lot of hyperbole in your post. From what I can tell, your complaints are: a) no one greeted you at boarding, b) slow PDB service and c) didn't like the food. Yet, to you, this is "rock bottom". I'm certainly not saying this is right or defending AA, but I do think we (all) need to not sensationalize every little issue (but this is FT, so you're just blending in).
jerryss, JonNYC, george 3 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 17, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Don't worry, it can always go lower. It's like many people forget what it was like to fly long-haul J even just a decade ago -- even post 9/11.
thorofare likes this.
Old Aug 24, 17, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daru1 View Post
Don't worry, it can always go lower. It's like many people forget what it was like to fly long-haul J even just a decade ago -- even post 9/11.
Oh, the vitriol about angled-flat seats always makes me chuckle.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: