FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Shower Options at LHR (J class) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1862497-shower-options-lhr-j-class.html)

Babu Aug 22, 2017 8:33 am

Shower Options at LHR (J class)

I'm flying JFK-LHR on AA, and connecting onwards to BLR on BA. All segments J class.

I have a 4 hour layover, US Passport and AA Platinum status.

Is it better to go landside and use the AA arrivals lounge for a shower, or stay airside and try a BA shower in the Galleries Lounge (or whatever they call it).

Many thanks.

apeortdz Aug 22, 2017 8:35 am

If you get a Fast Track card, I would go to the AA lounge.

JDiver Aug 22, 2017 9:08 am

This is a frequently asked question. Most consider it more expeditious to go to T-5 and shower in the Galleries lounges there after following the Flight Connections signs to bus to T-5.

The alternative is processing HM immigration (can waste an hour here) and customs, followed by the Arrivals Lounge, trek to the train, arrive T-5 and process as if you were starting your trip de novo. IMO, even Fast Track can be slow - or Fast Track can be closed on occasion.

The showers are better in the Admirals Club and Arrivals Lounge, but in my experience not worth the extra hassle of doubling back as described in the "LHR / London Heathrow AA T3 <--> BA T5 connection / transfer master thread" thread.

Specific descriptions can be read in the LHR Club and LHR Arrivals lounges threads accessible from the Lounge Dashboard in the Welcome "sticky" thread.

seattleBH Aug 22, 2017 10:42 am

I will second the vote for the Galleries Lounge in T5. Not the best shower experience, but the most convenient to get to.

UltraSean Aug 22, 2017 10:44 am

AA arrivals lounge at T3 has nicer showers and BA lounges at T5 serve better food.
I would shower at T3 as long as not risking missing my connection (and 4 hrs usually sound decent).

ijgordon Aug 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by UltraSean (Post 28721611)
AA arrivals lounge at T3 has nicer showers and BA lounges at T5 serve better food.
I would shower at T3 as long as not risking missing my connection (and 4 hrs usually sound decent).

I think the AArivals lounge serves much more/better breakfast food than the BA Galleries (J) lounge. It will also be much much quieter. You're also likely to have to wait for a shower in the BA lounge.

With a 4 hour connection, I'd probably go landside assuming FastTrak immigration line isn't out the door.

Gig103 Aug 22, 2017 2:09 pm

To get to the arrivals, wouldn't you have to clear customs? If so, I wouldn't do that just to take a shower and have a better breakfast. No complaints about T5 from me!

apeortdz Aug 22, 2017 3:01 pm

There seem to be a number of different opinions. I think the OP will be fine either way.

beltway Aug 22, 2017 4:35 pm

I have a similar trip (also in J) next month & had assumed the best option would be the Cathay Pacific lounge in T3, with the Admirals Club in T3 a second choice. (OW site says both are airside.)

I'm not a LHR regular, so presumably I'm missing something obvious here.

FlyerBeek Aug 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 28723000)
I have a similar trip (also in J) next month & had assumed the best option would be the Cathay Pacific lounge in T3, with the Admirals Club in T3 a second choice. (OW site says both are airside.)

Hands down, Cathay showers in T3 are the nicest (very similar to the HKG Pier F lounge showers with great Aesop products). AA showers are next best, significantly nicer than those in the BA lounge.

I typically shower and eat in CX and then go to BA F for the superior wines/drinks.
If you don't have F lounge access, I'd probably stay in the CX lounge.

-FlyerBeek

bse118 Aug 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 28723000)

If your flight is departing T3, then yes the CX lounge is the best choice. No way to get to the CX (or any of the airside T3 lounges) with a T3 arrival only.

But if your flight is departing T5, I don't think T3 lounge is feasible. (it may be technically possible, but would require convincing LHR staff & security to let you through with a BP for the wrong terminal).

enviroian Aug 23, 2017 9:41 am

I too am flying the same route this fall (AA 100) and get in to lhr early. I'm in J. I'm a little confused by this email. Isn't the AA arrivals lounge after immigration and customs? I don't know as I've never been. I couldn't imagine trekking it all the way to T 5, go through security again just to go to to the Terraces lounge to shower.

Or am I missing something?

bse118 Aug 23, 2017 10:14 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 28725772)
I too am flying the same route this fall (AA 100) and get in to lhr early. I'm in J. I'm a little confused by this email. Isn't the AA arrivals lounge after immigration and customs? I don't know as I've never been. I couldn't imagine trekking it all the way to T 5, go through security again just to go to to the Terraces lounge to shower.

Or am I missing something?

The AA arrivals lounge is landside in T3. If you are eligible for access and are terminating your journey at LHR T3, that's where you want to go.

With a long-enough connection T3-T5 connection there's a school of thought on FT that it can be worth it to clear immigration in order to use the AA Arrivals lounge over the BA Galleries facilities in T5.

I've never heard anyone suggest transferring to T5 (with a LHR-terminating journey arriving T3) just to use the BA airside lounges. And as they are airside, if your journey terminates at LHR, I don't think you'd physically have access anyway.

enviroian Aug 23, 2017 11:10 am

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 28725906)
The AA arrivals lounge is landside in T3. If you are eligible for access and are terminating your journey at LHR T3, that's where you want to go.

With a long-enough connection T3-T5 connection there's a school of thought on FT that it can be worth it to clear immigration in order to use the AA Arrivals lounge over the BA Galleries facilities in T5.

I've never heard anyone suggest transferring to T5 (with a LHR-terminating journey arriving T3) just to use the BA airside lounges. And as they are airside, if your journey terminates at LHR, I don't think you'd physically have access anyway.

Thanks for the clarification--after reading again I see the OP is connecting.

Makes sense. Yes LHR is my final stop. I see it's right after the customs hall up the elevator. Question--my mother is picking me up at LHR. Do you think they will allow her in with me? If they don't I understand but if they don't I'm not going to go if I have to have her wait while I shower!

george 3 Aug 23, 2017 11:16 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 28721229)
This is a frequently asked question. Most consider it more expeditious to go to T-5 and shower in the Galleries lounges there after following the Flight Connections signs to bus to T-5.

The alternative is processing HM immigration (can waste an hour here) and customs, followed by the Arrivals Lounge, trek to the train, arrive T-5 and process as if you were starting your trip de novo. IMO, even Fast Track can be slow - or Fast Track can be closed on occasion.

The showers are better in the Admirals Club and Arrivals Lounge, but in my experience not worth the extra hassle of doubling back as described in the "LHR / London Heathrow AA T3 <--> BA T5 connection / transfer master thread" thread.

Specific descriptions can be read in the LHR Club and LHR Arrivals lounges threads accessible from the Lounge Dashboard in the Welcome "sticky" thread.

Ah but the English breakfast is better (IMHO) in the Galleries Lounge. Mrs. George 3 and I have always headed there when connecting thru LHR.