Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

A Quarter of the Way to EXP Requal Thoughts on the New System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

As of this morning, I'm slightly over 25,000 EQM for the year as my year has started with a fairly heave travel schedule. I've had one trip to Europe, one at least one last minute paid F trip, and 15 segments. Most of my trips are fairly last minute and I haven't had much of an advance purchase beyond a couple of days.

Some data points

1. My EQD is below 2500. So, even though I had an international trip, fairly last minute tickets, and on paid F trip, I'm not tracking EQD consistent with EQM. I was earlier but almost all of those trips were under 750 miles. Longer trips make it harder to keep up the EQD/EQM ratio. So, at this rate, I'll need closer to 135,000 EQM to requalify. I suspect that is fairly common.

2. i've requested to use SWU's twice. Both cleared around 24 hours out.

3. I'm about 9 for 13 on upgrades. That seems a little lower than normal but it may be the last minute purchases combined with this time of year with overlapping groups of EXP's.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Feb 7, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
If you travel F internationally again this year, try flying on a one world partner instead. You should get more EQD through them.

Forgot to add my thoughts:

1) It stinks
1a) I need to spend more to get to EXP
1b) I don't get as many redeemable miles

2) My mileage run is better by flying business on a one world partner. It costs 2x what I would have paid on an AA economy mileage run, but I get 4x in miles and dollars.

If I didn't have a planned international route this summer, I'm not sure I would have made it to EXP.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 7, 2017 at 1:40 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts replying to same topic
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: AS 100K
Four words: premium fare mileage run. Booked a QR D fare LAX-SIN for $1,700 which will get me $4500 EQD. Going to pick up some work while I'm over there and get some of my travel reimbursed. If you can do the same, I highly recommend it.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I'm actually tracking pretty consistently so far this year, although $s are tracking slightly behind EQMS. 32400 EQMs and $3100. I booked my two trips next month to Asia on CX W because of the EQD (otherwise I'd have gone AA and used SWUs) so I think they're going to have many cases where the marginal benefit to the EXP chaser pushes them to partner metal. In the atlantic JV that might not matter but it will tpac to their bottom line. $1800-$2k rt W fares on CX earn $3500 in EQDs

And if I buy any business class fares they'll go on partner carriers because I won't need the extra EQMs at year end, but who knows on EQDs.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
I also recommend getting your travel in J reimbursed!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
All systems can be gamed. For a couple of decades, we've been working in one set of rules and framework--now we're moving into another.

Don't expect old strategies to work in new systems. Someone is already doing the math on how to get the most EQDs and EQMs for your spend and how to get the most reward miles. Give it a a few months at most and the spreadsheets will be out there.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Four words: premium fare mileage run. Booked a QR D fare LAX-SIN for $1,700 which will get me $4500 EQD. Going to pick up some work while I'm over there and get some of my travel reimbursed. If you can do the same, I highly recommend it.
Shouldn't it be 5 words
Premium Fare Partner Mileage Run
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
It's only a matter of time before AA reduces all QR fares to scraps I fear.

+1 to the premium runs.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I did book that
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by brizone
I also recommend getting your travel in J reimbursed!
To be clear, they'll pay for the price of a Y ticket - the rest is on my own dime. Still recommend it - if you have to mileage run, might as well do it for work.

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Shouldn't it be 5 words
Premium Fare Partner Mileage Run
Indeed - well-said! ^
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Was this the deal that lasted about 1 hr?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frebay
It lasted around a week.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by frebay
Over a week. I booked IAH-DOH-SIN as well.

Flew IAH-DOH 5 times last year and it was packed. Flew DOH-SIN twice and each time it was 30% full.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
To the OP.. I am lagging in EQD also this year, although have

MAF-DFW-LHR-MAD-LHR-DFW-MAF, MAF-DFW-HNL-ITO-HNL-PHX-MAF and IAH-DOH-SIN-KUL-DEL-KUL-SIN-DOH-IAH coming up which should get me to at least PLT.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Representing the minority, I think 12k EQD is too low for EXP. I usually pass that mark less than 6 months into the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.