Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
Agent told me that if they inherited our status, then everyone on the list would be EXP. Makes sense.
- unless a) lifetime PLT is using one of the 4 eVIPs received after crossing 2M or b) someone with lesser status received eVIP as a gift.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- unless a) lifetime PLT is using one of the 4 eVIPs received after crossing 2M or b) someone with lesser status received eVIP as a gift.
Agreed about the LT Plats but would bet that they are not as prevalent in the whole scheme of things (I could be wrong though... ). Regardless, it was what I was told when I was trying to gift one to my husband, a Gold at the time. He was behind all the EXPs and PLTs requesting an ug.

BTW, I am only talking International here. Don't get me started on how peeved I was when he jumped the list ahead of me when he took my status on a domestic flight. .
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
Agent told me that if they inherited our status, then everyone on the list would be EXP. Makes sense.
Originally Posted by Alex_I
That presumes that the only instrument that can be used on international upgrades is a SWU; this is not the case. Miles+copay upgraders are interleaved with SWU users (sort of--due to a quirk of the PALL list, a Gold using miles is above a Platinum using SWU). Faulty logic on behalf of this agent--there's no reason international upgraders should not inherit status.

Originally Posted by brp
Since the list is (at least originally) ordered by a machine, it's not based on the knowledge of the GA. And I'm trusting that they're not reordering the list after the fact.
Since just about everything seems to be manual, I am under the impression that adding passengers to the PALL list for an international upgrade is not a quick button click. As such, I think it all comes down to how people are added to the list. Based on information gleaned from other informed sources outside FT, I'm inclined to believe that status should be inherited and these agents are doing it wrong. That's just me though--perhaps my faith is misplaced.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
is it still the case that EXP has to call to check expanded availability?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by mingw
is it still the case that EXP has to call to check expanded availability?
Yes. Source
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:47 pm

I have on hold a coach RT award flight to Paris departing in a little less than 3 weeks. The outbound has a horrible 8 hr layover and none of the flights are available in C. I've checked the EXP desk for expanded availability for a later coach (T) domestic leg to shorten my layover (two other domestic flights would work) and also for mile saver C availability for the TATL.

The flights work as they are right now, and I'll be confirming them before the hold expires, but I'd like to improve them.

I have alerts set in EF - but does anyone have any guidance on if & how often I might call back to the EXP desk over the next two weeks to check and see if any expanded availability has been released?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by azcoyote
I've checked the EXP desk for expanded availability for a later coach (T) domestic leg to shorten my layover (two other domestic flights would work) and also for mile saver C availability for the TATL
C inventory is a biz upgrade. EF will be watching U for a milesaver biz award. Typo maybe?

I've never had any luck with this benefit. I usually see space free up and become visible in EF at 24 hours or less though there's just no telling; it's revenue management voodoo. EF alerts have helped me there.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:10 pm

Have you guys been noticing the disappearance of expanded MileSAAver award availability for EXP? I have no evidence that this is actually happening except a few calls with no success across many routes and different times of year. What do yo guys think?

Note: The archived posts are from the current thread on this topic here.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 20, 2017 at 2:49 pm Reason: Insert moderator note

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.