Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mark_T
We also need to remember that the EF polling is a periodic process, it is not continuous.

So it is perfectly possible for AA to release C inventory, have it sitting there for some time and then pick it up and use it for queued requests all without EF actually noticing it is there.

Hard to be precise and EF do not publish the details but if you are still a couple of days before the flight I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are at least a couple of hours between checks from the EF end based on what I've experienced.
What about the processing of C inventory by AA for those on the waitlist? Many times, I've asked to be put on the waitlist, and EF would notify me of C inventory available. I would call the EXP desk and my upgrade would be confirmed instantly. Why didn't the AA computers take care of that automatically? Did I jump the queue?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
What about the processing of C inventory by AA for those on the waitlist? Many times, I've asked to be put on the waitlist, and EF would notify me of C inventory available. I would call the EXP desk and my upgrade would be confirmed instantly. Why didn't the AA computers take care of that automatically? Did I jump the queue?
AA does not process C upgrades continuously, but rather at intervals, which in fact makes it possible to get an alert. I would assume that when the computer next looked to process the upgrade, you would have been upgraded anyway without the need for manual intervention. Whether or not you "jump the queue" has been the subject of extensive and inconclusive speculation. A couple of times I have actually been told that we need to "wait and let the system go through its process;" I assume that those were times when I was not next in line to be upgraded.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by vasantn
...I assume that those were times when I was not next in line to be upgraded.
I can only assume then that every time my EF alert has triggered over the last couple of years that I've been fortunate enough to be next in line on the list ...

I would say though that over the last 6 months or so the EF alert is happening less often than it used to, more of my upgrades are just happening without any 'help'.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I can only assume then that every time my EF alert has triggered over the last couple of years that I've been fortunate enough to be next in line on the list ...
Considering you are EXP, it's not unlikely.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:51 am

i am waitlisted with a friend of mine on using my SWU for a recent trip to SA. My outbound is LGA-MIA-GIG on 3/4/11 and return GRU-JFK 3/13/11.

LGA-MIA wont clear until MIA-GIG. however there are 14 seats empty in J out of the 30. and on the GRU-JFK flight there are 30 seats empty in J.

Possible for me to call EXP and see if they can/will free up a couple seats on each flight in C and confirm my upgrade. How should i go about in asking this?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I remember reading this somewhere, but I cannot remember where, so I would like verification.

For systemwide upgrades, for companions to inherit EXP status, do they have to be on the same PNR?

If they are on separate PNRs, do they clear at their respective status level rather than with the EXP?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Xero
I remember reading this somewhere, but I cannot remember where, so I would like verification.

For systemwide upgrades, for companions to inherit EXP status, do they have to be on the same PNR?

If they are on separate PNRs, do they clear at their respective status level rather than with the EXP?
The last time I (EXP) was on the same PNR as my wife (GLD), she didn't "inherit" my status for clearing the SWU's we were using.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Thumbs up Kudos: Expanded availability for EXPs

I have been railing against AA for a while now about their Long Haul Business product and their cutting routes BUT wanted to say that their treatment of EXPs is just amazing.

Have been looking to redeem miles from my wife's account (no status) for a domestic award to Reno or SF. Kept looking online and was unable to find 4 seats (self, wife and kids). Tried it from my account and wife's no difference.

Called the EXP desk and not only did they have availability on direct flights (was only getting connections online) but for one of the flights they were able to ask (and get) revenue management to open 2 seats for us when only 2 were open for a direct flight.

They did not care that the miles were coming from my wife's account as long as I was travelling with them.

All of her miles are from recent credit card bonus or purchases so real good deal.

Thank you EXP desk!!!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
RM has the ability to add extra T seats for EXP only. When you see T is not available because the seats put out there are sold already, there may still be some seats available to EXP only. However, it varies from market to market how many extra T seats will be given for EXPs so your results can vary widely. I am glad it worked out for you!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.330 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

+1. The expanded availability for EXPs on AA metal is really a wonderful benefit.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by truthknown
RM has the ability to add extra T seats for EXP only. When you see T is not available because the seats put out there are sold already, there may still be some seats available to EXP only. However, it varies from market to market how many extra T seats will be given for EXPs so your results can vary widely. I am glad it worked out for you!
It's not just T. I've received EXP-only expanded availability U, Z and C seats as well.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Yes, you are correct. The expanded availability can be set in A/X/Z/R/C/U/T inventories, each individually.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
It's a great perk that apparently can somewhat carry over to other accounts. I was looking at DXB-LHR-ORD-SAT for a family friend on a combo of BA and AA. The BA Flights were there on the days I wanted but no AA flights showed online. I called up EXP desk and was able to put the BA/AA flights on hold while we figured out the account from which to pull the miles. Ended up that a friend who was only PLAT was able to pull the miles from their account and still use the expanded availability offered to me. I realize this may have been a bit against the AA rules, but the agents we spoke to had no problem putting the ticket on hold while talking with me and then pulling the miles from my Plat friend's account. Thanks AA!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ask early, or late?

This is really great news. I've been looking into booking some saver awards for the entire family for April, but the availability looks a little spotty.

The purchase price for ORD-CUN looks pretty attractive, so I've been assuming some of that inventory might be made available. Don't know that I would blow 35K miles on a $300 RT, but I'm tempted.

I'm phone phobic, so I typically don't call the EXP desk unless I'm in a jam.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by clark_addison
This is really great news. I've been looking into booking some saver awards for the entire family for April, but the availability looks a little spotty.

The purchase price for ORD-CUN looks pretty attractive, so I've been assuming some of that inventory might be made available. Don't know that I would blow 35K miles on a $300 RT, but I'm tempted.

I'm phone phobic, so I typically don't call the EXP desk unless I'm in a jam.
I don't think you can lose by asking early. The expanded availability should already be in the system, so when you call, the agent should be able to immediately tell you if it is available. In fact, even if you are not sure, I would call and hold the seats now, as this way, you won't miss any expanded availability that may be withdrawn later.

Beyond the expanded availability, I have had success in the past asking the agent to make a request to revenue management to open up seats that are otherwise not available. In that case, it seems like later would be better, as I was told several times that no seats were available, but that I should call back closer to departure. But still, it doesn't hurt to ask now, and then ask again later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.