Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation Fees & Rebooking Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Cancellation Fees & Rebooking Question

I tried to change my current booking of KUL-HKG-SFO-PDX on a J ticket in CX, to an Etihad business class availability of KUL-AUH-LAX-PDX , and the Australian agent (which you forgot to mention about the Etihad quirk) told me I’d have to cancel the ticket first ($150+ additional pax…there are 4 of us) and then rebook the new flight. HOWEVER, they sent me an email recently there was a change in the times…..the departing flight on CX out of HKG is now 6:45PM instead of 5:55PM…..so can I cancel and book the Etihad flight without incurring the fees?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mrx900
I tried to change my current booking of KUL-HKG-SFO-PDX on a J ticket in CX, to an Etihad business class availability of KUL-AUH-LAX-PDX , and the Australian agent (which you forgot to mention about the Etihad quirk) told me I’d have to cancel the ticket first ($150+ additional pax…there are 4 of us) and then rebook the new flight. HOWEVER, they sent me an email recently there was a change in the times…..the departing flight on CX out of HKG is now 6:45PM instead of 5:55PM…..so can I cancel and book the Etihad flight without incurring the fees?
The AAgent was correct, changing from an all oneworld award to EY will incur the $150+ change/redeposit fee.

Given the schedule though, you should be able to cancel the CX itineary for no fee.

Keep in mind that flying KUL-PDX via AUH will cost a lot more miles, as you'll have to book 2 awards. An Asia 2 to North America award cannot transit the Middle East.
AAExpDFW likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The AAgent was correct, changing from an all oneworld award to EY will incur the $150+ change/redeposit fee.

Given the schedule though, you should be able to cancel the CX itineary for no fee.

Keep in mind that flying KUL-PDX via AUH will cost a lot more miles, as you'll have to book 2 awards. An Asia 2 to North America award cannot transit the Middle East.
thanks..that gives me some hope. I dont have a problem in using more miles...as AA miles are relatively easy to get with churning the cards, etc..but I wanted to fly Etihad. Ok I will give the Australian call center a jingle and see about doing this. Ill report back my success/failure.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrx900
thanks..that gives me some hope. I dont have a problem in using more miles...as AA miles are relatively easy to get with churning the cards, etc..but I wanted to fly Etihad. Ok I will give the Australian call center a jingle and see about doing this. Ill report back my success/failure.
okay--so called the Australian call ctr and told them about the schedule change. after putting me on hold for like 15 min, she came back and said she tried to book those flights on EY but they canceled them immediately. Now, I'm not sure if she was lying or not...but obviously it wasn't going to happen. I wonder if I should try a 3rd time and see what happens. I really want that EY itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.