Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where can you find out why a flight is delayed? & AA delay emails

Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier

Every week it seems my flight home is delayed from CLT-HTS just got a notification that it is delayed an hour, the incoming flight 4855 was awaiting takeoff in TRI - then boom delayed an hour, not weather related for sure at is is nice in both places. And that plane just went from CLT to TRI
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by dgparent
Every week it seems my flight home is delayed from CLT-HTS just got a notification that it is delayed an hour, the incoming flight 4855 was awaiting takeoff in TRI - then boom delayed an hour, not weather related for sure at is is nice in both places. And that plane just went from CLT to TRI
Airlines have tended to be less transparent on their web sites as to delay reasons in recent years. However, with some data access you can still get to the reason coded in the airline's systems, such as with the flight status feature on ExpertFlyer. There may be some other sites that do similar.

Not sure which specific CLT-HTS you're referring to, but AA4812 incurred a delay yesterday:

PIEDMONT AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE
CLT 620P E36
HTS 749P
7CLT/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA4812CLT17AUG *2006*CRCYMG
3CLT/ETD2045 CRL-DELAY DUE TO CREW LATE ARRV TO A/C *1948
4CLT/OUT2053 OFF2116 *2017
2HTS/IN2220 *2122
So that was clearly a crew delay, even if a plane was in CLT. Unfortunately EF only can go back as far as the prior day, so I can't check a delayed flight from past weeks.

You can easily see which airports are incurring ATC delays and why on this site:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:53 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by dgparent
If you are looking at today's flight, it appears that you were originally supposed to use the aircraft that flew CLT-TRI-CLT as AA4885, but that flight went mechanical in TRI with an estimated 4pm departure.

As a result, at 1pm ET, they swapped aircraft to use a plane that was due in from FAY at 1:25pm (AA4856).

You really need to use a variety of sources to determine this.

Flightstats.com gives a history of time changes and aircraft assignments / swaps.

Flightaware.com will tell you where an aircraft is at the current moment.

Expertflyer.com will give you a reason for the delay.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

You have to love the flight delay emails AA sends out

These are the ones I got for my flight today from CLT-HTS. The incoming plane went MX and then they had no ground power for the replacement, I finally switched to a later flight. When I left the boarding area at 2:50 they still had it listed as a 2:40 departure. They need to get rid of those prop planes.

Last edited by dgparent; Aug 18, 2017 at 4:16 pm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Your image isn't showing, though it's there at the URL listed. You may want to try with a .jpg or similar extension.

Also, realize your name and record locator number appear. That's an expensive ticket for a straight-line distance, and it must stink nearly flying over your final destination to connect. At least you flew on a big bird to start your trip.

Someone more nefarious may cause some damage....
jacobguo likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GregL
If you are looking at today's flight, it appears that you were originally supposed to use the aircraft that flew CLT-TRI-CLT as AA4885, but that flight went mechanical in TRI with an estimated 4pm departure.

As a result, at 1pm ET, they swapped aircraft to use a plane that was due in from FAY at 1:25pm (AA4856).

You really need to use a variety of sources to determine this.

Flightstats.com gives a history of time changes and aircraft assignments / swaps.

Flightaware.com will tell you where an aircraft is at the current moment.

Expertflyer.com will give you a reason for the delay.
That is the one - then the aircraft they swapped had no power and was delayed another 90 mins waiting for ground power
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Here is my final tally none were weather related, the AAngel did get me a room last night and put me on a flight this morning to HTS that was of course cancelled, so I ended up flying to CRW, and was told to make it to HTS on my own. Luckily there were other people in the same boat and I got a ride with one of them, an uber was quoted at 87.00

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.