Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAs "Not allowed" to serve canned drinks on 1 hr flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAs "Not allowed" to serve canned drinks on 1 hr flights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
Shouldn't you be missing 75% of your sodas if that last part is true?
Not at all, you are under the impression that their lazy attitude was predicated only on sodas. There are many other things an FA can be lazy about.

For example, some can't even be bothered to tie the dang trash bag when they dump it out the side on turn flights. They just half twist the top and toss it out, many times letting loose some trash onto the ramp.

Some cannot be bothered to actually go thru the plane and pick up some loose trash etc, a major part of their duty on a turn.

This is regional I am talking about in this case. But there are also thing some mainline FA's do as well.

Again, there are some real nice, upbeat, excellent FA's, but there are far more lazy, disgruntled, and snarky one's. This is from someone who worked in conjunction with FA's for multiple years, and over 10-15 flights a day.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by jcatman
So, you were not offered a complimentary drink as an EXP in the Y cabin, and you did not request it?
True. I wasn't offered a drink and I didn't ask. I even noticed that the 2 FA didn't even have the blue handheld devices so there was no use telling them my status or ordering a stronger drink than water or OJ.

I noticed also that one FA feigned an apologetic look when she was perhaps asked for something other than OJ and Water. Kept hearing her say "sorry... only water or OJ."

The cart only had those two items on it as well. It was a 12 PM departure that was on schedule too. Wow.. What a miss #AmericanAirlines !!!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
More like firing.
Agreed. It isn't as if FAs are hard to find.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
This is a well-known ploy FAs use in order to avoid doing their job. This isn't limited to AA either. I've seen the same thing plenty of times on DL flights between MCO and ATL as well as on Republic/Eagle. Funny thing was on one Republic flight it didn't stop the FA from pouring herself a drink, lol.
White or Red?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:01 pm

I've seen this before but only on very short (eg. under 25 min in air) flights like Chicago-Bloomington and phx to burbank
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:13 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

AA sent a nice note back with some complainer miles. They had the usual notes that it'll be raised to senior management/they need this feedback/etc. However, they included a line that "You are correct this flight was scheduled for over an hour so this should have never happened." So maybe the <1 hour rule is on all flights, not just mainline?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:19 pm

I’ve experience things like this many times over the years on all airlines. I also vote that this was a made-up rule by a lazy FA. Although the FA could have given you the wrong explanation for why service wasn’t provided. This always galls me: when the real reason is kept secret, and a lame lie is given instead as an explanation. For instance, maybe the FA was told to only offer water and OJ in order to save the rest of the service cart for the next flight. And since that’s not something they want to admit, she made up a lame rule, but it wasn’t out of laziness but logistic challenges instead. Either way, all the explanations mentioned above like turbulence, broken hand-wash basin, etc are all excuses anyway. I’ve just as often experienced full service on such flights.

As a counterpoint, let me offer this recent pleasant experience: On a very short late-night United Express flight, the FA announced over the PA before takeoff that she assumed most of us wanted to rest/sleep, but that she was happy to serve anyone interested in a beverage. So that she could keep the cabin lights off, she would not be driving the cart down the aisle. I think it was an E170. She said that she would be walking down the aisle with a pad of paper and her “book light" after 10k feet, and we could wave to hear and give an order and she’d bring it to us. She also offered snacks and the usual premium perks like “big snacks” and alcohol to 1K/GSs. I was very impressed with this creative method of keeping her job easier, while still keeping the passengers happy.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
You're right, it was Bistro bAAgs. I get confused with all the terms such as trAAin, AAgent, sAAver, etc.

"A La Cart" was a marketing gimmick for Alaska's gate-checked bags.
As I recall these were usually referred to as bAArf bAAgs".
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405
It's now the same on LAS - LAX and vice versa and has been for a few weeks.

The drinks run in coach is now limited to a small bottle of water (Dasani) and orange juice although I was able to get coffee on Wednesday's flight to LAX and a glass of wine on the return in the evening.

On the outbound I asked why there was no longer a full beverage service and was given the following three explanations:

1. No one else on the LAS - LAX route offers anything more than water and juice and AA will match their competitors' offerings (which is BS as I know others do)

2. Health & Safety (which I get if there's turbulence, but past experience has shown that turbulence never impacts the First cabin, only coach)

3. It's a bit of a hustle to get the service completed in the allocated time (which I do also get if it's a busy flight - but AA always managed it in the past).

So I was then told to write to "the company" as the FA was clearly annoyed with me blowing her arguments out of the water and she didn't make the rules.
In cases of rudeness, look at the personnel's name tag and ask them for their badge number to make it easier to report them.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by toddhicks209
In cases of rudeness, look at the personnel's name tag and ask them for their badge number to make it easier to report them.
Just don't be too surprised if their "badge number" ends up being one (extended) digit.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by adambrock
I thought QX got in trouble for doing food and drink service when they didn't have a functioning handwashing sink and were just using sanitary wipes?
I have flown QX on many occassions between YLW-SEA, SEA-YLW The distance is 218 miles and less than an hour from takeoff to landing. Although they have recently increased the "blocked off" time to 75 minutes because of flow control in SEA it pretty much always arrives early. There has been flights without any beverage service if turbulence is anticipated, some with water or OJ (pre-poured, no cart in the aisle) if anticipating a faster flight but for the most part full service. They also offer featured beer and wine from Washington State micro-breweries and estate wineries complimentary. Coffee with Bailey's at 6:00 am is a great start to the day. 😉 In all instances the FA will advise via the PA what they will be offering. Sometimes the Captain will even advise they are anticipating some turbulance on the routing and that he has requested the FA's remain seated.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Yesterday I was flying PHL-ILM on Piedmont. FA went through the aisle with the cart that was fully stocked but only offered water & OJ. When she got to me, I asked for a Disaronno and Diet Coke. She said that they are "not allowed to serve anything other than water and orange juice on flights that are under 1 hour". I asked even as an ExPlat if I could just get a soda can since the full cart was there but she again refused. I took the water and also asked for the can of Pringles. She snidely repeated that they can only serve water and OJ.

I've flown this route many times and never been offered only water & OJ. Sure, when there's turbulence, they don't offer anything, which is expected. But nothing of the sort yesterday.

And if I wanted to get into semantics, the flight was scheduled for 1:39 and scheduled for 1:04 of air time, so it wasn't even <1:00 as she claimed.

Anyone ever heard anything like this before or just a rude/lazy FA?

What an interesting thread. So:

1. I remember those Bistro BAAgs - I liked them - small sandwich, chips. They weren't horrible - unlike some of the FC meals they have offered.

2. I fly AUS - DFW all the time. Turbulence often shuts down Y service - and I have not been on a flight where it has stopped FC service. I have also seen the little water bottles in Y - they are fine. Haven't been offered OJ in Y just the Dasani minis - indeed tossed at me. I only care on my outbound anyhow when I may have a drink - I manage upgrades about 75% of the time on the route and I usually am in a better mood with high hopes for AA service outbound. On inbound - invariably I am beaten down with delays, bad FA attitude and poor CS after days of trave - I just want to get home and get off the plane from DFW-AUS - I catch the Dasani and call it a day.

3. Funnily enough I just completed my first set of nearly all LUS service - it was horrible - with one FA as a stellar exception. Lazy FA is an understatement. Bad attitude, constant complaining to everyone, calls to union where everyone can listen, just poor service. Oh yes - and a BOS - DCA flight with no service in Y (398 miles) as there was turbulence. There was some only at the beginning - honestly I didn't care as I didn't need the abuse from those people. I was miserable and yes I did complain about the entire trip - The trip was over a period of 5 days with travel on each of the days - with no expectation of anything. I only wanted to get to my destinations.

I have two more trips on AA (paid for with vouchers from this horrible trip) before the end of the year that will net me lifetime Gold - after that it is paid first or possibly Y on the best possible option with the shortest flight. I feel like the Airlines' stinginess with their FF programs has released me from a self imposed torture.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DL has no beverage service in YC on flights < 250 miles. Now they are testing a limited beverage service like this (and most likely rolling it out in the near future) for flights between 250 - 350 miles
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Maybe its just me, but on my quick hops from SWO (stillwater OK) to DFW, I like when they don't do full beverage service, and really, I get much more annoyed being delayed on the tarmac waiting for the 'ice' to get delivered (it's happened twice this year) than I would be if we just flew without ice.

The quick rush full beverage service is kind of silly -- By the time I got my beverage we had to prep for landing right away anyways and I am left holding a drink with no time to drink it and trash with no where to throw it. I much prefer a quick up the aisle service with just cups and water (with or without ice, I don't care) so that if I am parched at least I can get water within a reason time frame (and with a reasonable time frame to drink it). If I want something better, I would rather get it in the admirals club after we land.

Last edited by MarkOK; Sep 8, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Write a complaint. This is inexcusable.

Originally Posted by Geordie405
It's now the same on LAS - LAX and vice versa and has been for a few weeks.

The drinks run in coach is now limited to a small bottle of water (Dasani) and orange juice although I was able to get coffee on Wednesday's flight to LAX and a glass of wine on the return in the evening.

On the outbound I asked why there was no longer a full beverage service and was given the following three explanations:

1. No one else on the LAS - LAX route offers anything more than water and juice and AA will match their competitors' offerings (which is BS as I know others do)

2. Health & Safety (which I get if there's turbulence, but past experience has shown that turbulence never impacts the First cabin, only coach)

3. It's a bit of a hustle to get the service completed in the allocated time (which I do also get if it's a busy flight - but AA always managed it in the past).

So I was then told to write to "the company" as the FA was clearly annoyed with me blowing her arguments out of the water and she didn't make the rules.
1 is a complete and total lie. WN most definitely offers a full beverage service. Pretty sure UA and DL do as well.
TSparky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.