Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
are you talking about JFK T8? Because I've found immigration in the afternoon to be fairly quick, even with multiple 777s arriving. The bags were a different story, but still not excessive. Maybe I've been lucky??

But I think you may be thinking of a T7 to T8 international to domestic connection, bc I have never needed to use the AirTrain to connect from an AA to AA flight.
I was on a DL to DL itinerary, T4 to T2 connection. Granted, connecting within the same terminal at JFK is quicker than changing terminals. My experience doing an international to domestic connection at JFK is just one data point, but I think it debunks some people's theories that connecting at JFK is always preferable to PHL. Definitely a YMMV situation.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austin787
I was on a DL to DL itinerary, T4 to T2 connection. Granted, connecting within the same terminal at JFK is quicker than changing terminals. My experience doing an international to domestic connection at JFK is just one data point, but I think it debunks some people's theories that connecting at JFK is always preferable to PHL. Definitely a YMMV situation.
You could have re-cleared security in T4 and then taken the jitney shuttle over to T2. Less walking, but T4 security was probably longer than T2.
Regardless, in most cases you should know whether or not you'll have to change terminals. Obviously AA-to-AA at JFK is pretty easy.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
are you talking about JFK T8? Because I've found immigration in the afternoon to be fairly quick, even with multiple 777s arriving. The bags were a different story, but still not excessive. Maybe I've been lucky??
I don't fly through PHL that frequently since I'm NYC-based, but my few experiences at Customs and Immigration there have been much worse with much longer lines than I've ever seen at JFK T8.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Austin787
JFK is even worse, especially for International to domestic connections. 1+ hour lines in immigration at 5am (I can't imagine the afternoon when many flights from Europe arrive). Then a long walk with vague signage to the AirTrain. I had a much better experience at PHL - not much of a wait in immigration at 2pm (when multiple Europe flights arrive) and no need to take a train to my domestic connection.

JFK also has rude employees
I didn't think immigration opened until 6am at JFK. I've been held on the GRU JFK flight that arrived earlier than 6am every time. We were able to de-plane at 6am.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jordyn
I don't fly through PHL that frequently since I'm NYC-based, but my few experiences at Customs and Immigration there have been much worse with much longer lines than I've ever seen at JFK T8.
Global Entry will fix that. Even during rush hour at ORD I am through in less then 2 minutes.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:10 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Global Entry will fix that. Even during rush hour at ORD I am through in less then 2 minutes.
ORD... Only if customs hall is not at capacity. I have been held in the hallways and they refused to let people into the central immigration hall due to overcrowding. That is despite having global entry.

In my situation about 15 intl flights arrived within thirty minutes.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:50 am

I have Global Entry. By far the longest Global Entry line I've ever seen was in PHL.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
I have Global Entry. By far the longest Global Entry line I've ever seen was in PHL.
Every time I've flown through PHL I am in and out of Immigration and Customs in less than 5 minutes so I can't say I've shared your experience. My least pleasant experiences have been at MIA.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
ORD... Only if customs hall is not at capacity. I have been held in the hallways and they refused to let people into the central immigration hall due to overcrowding. That is despite having global entry.

In my situation about 15 intl flights arrived within thirty minutes.
If 15 int'l flights arrived into a 21 gate terminal within 30 minutes of each other there must have been some very unusual operating conditions at ORD that day.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:22 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

If 15 int'l flights arrived into a 21 gate terminal within 30 minutes of each other there must have been some very unusual operating conditions at ORD that day.
We arrived at around 1:45pm-ish. QR, KL, AZ, CX, UA (multiple), AA (multiple), BA, LH, OS, HU, and several others have flights arriving between 1-2pm.

In my case I was on the CX flight.

Last edited by golfingboy; Apr 27, 2019 at 10:43 pm
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA & first time at D9F......where does this plane actually depart from? Bus to Remote stand?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LGA & first time at D9F......where does this plane actually depart from? Bus to Remote stand?
Yup it's a bus gate - like 35X at DCA but even more makeshift...
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Wonderful.......why does AA love gates via buses? UGH :/
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
I've had the unfortunate luck with needing these D9X gates recently ... I would call it worse than 35X.

Though, the new A gate part of the terminal is definitely much nicer than anywhere else in LGA. I've only been on AA flights to Canada from there, not sure what else tends to be based on that side.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wonderful.......why does AA love gates via buses? UGH :/
35X was designed like that and just got out of control over the years... D9X is at least a temporary fix / was only added within the last year or two to accommodate construction. Both should be going away in ~2021 (still a long way off).
BWISkyGuy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.