Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by econometrics
I didn't listen to the podcast, but I read the transcript on TPG's website.

Raja needs a communications coach. I wanted to put my head through my screen every time he repeatedly used "right".
From that snippet of what I read he does corporate speak very well. Saying something without coming out and being clear about it. In this case we are narrowing NYC to be O&D and leveraging our other hubs for connections because of the perceived heavy competition in NYC. Instead he spoke in nonsensical circles.
GUWonder and jacca83 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Adelphos
MEM and CLE are about 1/10 and 1/8 the size of NYC, resprectively, with even smaller fractions of "premium" demand, so I don't think those are that comparable. Also, MEM was primarily a connecting hub acquired from Northwest that had no purpose with ATL nearby, from what I can remember.
Yep, MEM was the NW southern hub and great to connect through. ATL's geographic proximity post merger killed it.

Safe Travels
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
For NYC O&D, United seems to offer the most comprehensive option for passengers if you can stomach Newark. Delta is close, but notably behind.
That's because UA also runs a large connecting hub at EWR. It is those connections, not just O&D, that allow UA to offer the frequency of flights and destinations that it does at EWR.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I found this article to be somewhat reassuring. I don't understand the hate re: connecting via LHR. NYC based it's great. I use it multiple times a year and it provides late departures from Europe to NYC that you can't easily get with other hubs. I can take afternoon departures from anywhere in Europe and connect to late flights LHR-JFK. I just wish BA would add more late night flights from LHR to the continent so that I could more easily use their 7:45am day flight to Europe without having to overnight in London.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by morrisunc
I found this article to be somewhat reassuring. I don't understand the hate re: connecting via LHR. NYC based it's great. I use it multiple times a year and it provides late departures from Europe to NYC that you can't easily get with other hubs. I can take afternoon departures from anywhere in Europe and connect to late flights LHR-JFK. I just wish BA would add more late night flights from LHR to the continent so that I could more easily use their 7:45am day flight to Europe without having to overnight in London.
(1) LHR security is a nightmare and (2) BA's CE (my connection to Europe) is sort of a joke.
ysolde, AANYC1981 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Transiting LHR is a "dream" come true. If someone considers "nightmares" to be dreams in a world where LHR transits can be rather nightmarish compared to some other European transit options for US-Europe and Europe-US travel.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This is more akin to a situation of DL at MSP than of DL at MEM and UA at CLE, even as DL@MSP is largely about connecting traffic.
MSP (the entire airport) is majority O&D. In domestic O&D MSP is bigger than IAH or PHL - it's the 18th largest airport in the country. I don't see the value in making doomed-hub analogies.

JFK is the 2nd largest domestic O&D airport in the country and of course adds millions of international O&D passengers. AA's decision to compete very selectively at JFK (and across NYC broadly) is pretty surprising. One has to wonder how it sees itself fitting against UA/DL/B6 in this context.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Austin787
Raja's comments about NYC sound similar to what Delta and United said about MEM and CLE respectively. We all know how it worked out for MEM and CLE.
MEM and CLE are about 1/10 and 1/8 the size of NYC, resprectively, with even smaller fractions of "premium" demand, so I don't think those are that comparable. Also, MEM was primarily a connecting hub acquired from Northwest that had no purpose with ATL nearby, from what I can remember.
Yeah. What UA and DL said about CLE and MEM is actually quite different than what AA says about NYC. They both said essentially that CLE/MEM serve unique connecting markets and act as relievers for their larger hubs with better O&D (ORD/IAD for UA, ATL for DL). That's not exactly a network function that can't be dropped; there was little that MEM or CLE brought to the table (ie O&D) that couldn't be moved elsewhere if it ever made more sense. AA has said that JFK is focused on premium O&D (which was mostly its role in the pmAA network, although pmAA didn't have PHL so JFK was a bit more important for connections). That's clearly not a great situation to be in -- you want both O&D and connections at a true hub to ensure the robust schedule that O&D traffic likes but can't support on its own in most cases -- but it doesn't seem like a kind of market that is likely to completely go away for AA. NYC can certainly support significant nonstops that aren't to AA hubs, and O&D is less subject to a death spiral effect than connecting traffic, especially for the D part of O&D.

Really, the only similarity between MEM/CLE and NYC is that in all three cases the airlines said positive things. Duh; you're not going to say "this hub is terrible and doomed" until you actually kill it.

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
That's because UA also runs a large connecting hub at EWR. It is those connections, not just O&D, that allow UA to offer the frequency of flights and destinations that it does at EWR.
In other words, EWR is able to serve in UA's network as both the JFK/LGA (NYC O&D) and PHL (European connections from much of the US) roles in AA's network. JFK can't do both well for AA (or really for DL, at least it doesn't serve European connections as well as EWR does for UA or PHL does for AA). That's a clear advantage for UA.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Isn't Jetblue mainly O&D at JFK? Is it just because they have a lower cost structure than AA that they can be so large?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I just want to comment that there is absolutely nothing remotely premium about the e140s that makes up a substantial chunk of AA’s NYC operation.
neither is making a 35 minute connection between B and F due to banked flights, only to almost lose an upgrade because of it

No sbowers
PHL sucks
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by footballfanatic

neither is making a 35 minute connection between B and F due to banked flights, only to almost lose an upgrade because of it

No sbowers
PHL sucks
Classy
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Not only design but some of the most vile and rude LUS employees working the gates.
You must not fly through PHL very often.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by GTITAN
I don't find that actually and certainly no worse than LGA.
Those comments you quoted are poorly written, meritless solo data points and anecdotal at best. Largely non-constructive & contribute little to the conversation. Every station for every carrier has a few bad apples (same for every customer-facing business). What’s worse, said quotes are actually making me defend AA
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by footballfanatic

No sbowers
PHL sucks
JFK is even worse, especially for International to domestic connections. 1+ hour lines in immigration at 5am (I can't imagine the afternoon when many flights from Europe arrive). Then a long walk with vague signage to the AirTrain. I had a much better experience at PHL - not much of a wait in immigration at 2pm (when multiple Europe flights arrive) and no need to take a train to my domestic connection.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Not only design but some of the most vile and rude LUS employees working the gates.
JFK also has rude employees
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by Austin787
JFK is even worse, especially for International to domestic connections. 1+ hour lines in immigration at 5am (I can't imagine the afternoon when many flights from Europe arrive). Then a long walk with vague signage to the AirTrain. I had a much better experience at PHL - not much of a wait in immigration at 2pm (when multiple Europe flights arrive) and no need to take a train to my domestic connection.
are you talking about JFK T8? Because I've found immigration in the afternoon to be fairly quick, even with multiple 777s arriving. The bags were a different story, but still not excessive. Maybe I've been lucky??

But I think you may be thinking of a T7 to T8 international to domestic connection, bc I have never needed to use the AirTrain to connect from an AA to AA flight.
ijgordon and rossmacd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.