Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Flight44
Can’t blame them for winding down JFK.

I happily spend more to avoid that cesspool.
As an NYC based owner, while it can be a pain to get to JFK at certain hours, the terminal is one of the most pleasant in the New York area (I haven't seen the new LGA terminal). I fly more Delta now, and Delta's JFK terminal is a zoo.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but noticed starting in May all RDU-LGA flights have been upgaged from mostly e-140 to all 2class E175s & 190s. Is AA drawing down the use of 140s at LGA or is this just a summer thing?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but noticed starting in May all RDU-LGA flights have been upgaged from mostly e-140 to all 2class E175s & 190s. Is AA drawing down the use of 140s at LGA or is this just a summer thing?
Hope so! E140 is very uncompetitive compared to DLs mainly 2 class operation at LGA. I also noticed flights to STL are now on 2 class RJs....they used to be on E140s too
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
On the other hand, starting sometime in April/May, AA is drawing JFK-BOS down to a pathetic once daily flight that is poorly timed to connect with international service at JFK. JFK-BOS leaves after 10pm while BOS-JFK leaves in the early morning. What purpose does that single flight serve if it doesn't feed any international flights at JFK?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by dkc192
On the other hand, starting sometime in April/May, AA is drawing JFK-BOS down to a pathetic once daily flight that is poorly timed to connect with international service at JFK. JFK-BOS leaves after 10pm while BOS-JFK leaves in the early morning. What purpose does that single flight serve if it doesn't feed any international flights at JFK?
Even the RDU-JFK drawdown to twice daily leaves terrible timing for international connections. I think I heard Vasu Raja mention this before, but AA's main goal at JFK seems to be O&D (business) traffic, not connecting international traffic.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Even the RDU-JFK drawdown to twice daily leaves terrible timing for international connections. I think I heard Vasu Raja mention this before, but AA's main goal at JFK seems to be O&D (business) traffic, not connecting international traffic.
Clearly, but how does a single JFK-BOS flight serve O&D business traffic? Obviously the BOS-NYC business market is served by the LGA shuttle.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ashill
Clearly, but how does a single JFK-BOS flight serve O&D business traffic? Obviously the BOS-NYC business market is served by the LGA shuttle.
For some business in the outer boroughs or Long Island JFK would be preferable. Probably not enough but maybe enough for an AM and PM flight.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
For some business in the outer boroughs or Long Island JFK would be preferable. Probably not enough but maybe enough for an AM and PM flight.
Oh, I agree that there's some business that is better served by a JFK flight. It's the single daily flight that I don't understand, unless it's largely a utilization or repositioning flight.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Originally Posted by ashill
Oh, I agree that there's some business that is better served by a JFK flight. It's the single daily flight that I don't understand, unless it's largely a utilization or repositioning flight.
Not saying there is no market, but I don't think any JFK-BOS service, past or present, has been planned with specific regard to Brooklyn/Queens/Long Island O&D demand.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Not saying there is no market, but I don't think any JFK-BOS service, past or present, has been planned with regard to Brooklyn/Queens/Long Island O&D demand.
Everytime I’ve been on this flight it’s been heavy connections to/from LatAm.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Everytime I’ve been on this flight it’s been heavy connections to/from LatAm.
With the reduction of domestic flights at JFK T8, I feel every time at T8 I am with LATAM and CX pax, and of course with a handful taking connections at LHR.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Despite all this, AA still often presents the best flight option and value out of NYC. I am flying to PBI from LGA on an upcoming Saturday - AA is cheaper than Delta and JetBlue, and the E175 is relatively empty. I actually bought F outright to get the extra 1,000 EQM. Will likely requalify as an AA Gold this year despite moving most of my flying to Delta - will be at 6,000 EQM soon with a couple of J transcon yet to book
morrisunc likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Despite all this, AA still often presents the best flight option and value out of NYC. I am flying to PBI from LGA on an upcoming Saturday - AA is cheaper than Delta and JetBlue, and the E175 is relatively empty. I actually bought F outright to get the extra 1,000 EQM. Will likely requalify as an AA Gold this year despite moving most of my flying to Delta - will be at 6,000 EQM soon with a couple of J transcon yet to book
AA is cheaper because their former passengers that wouldn't have even checked DL or B6 prices in the past have moved on...LGA-PBI was a true AA loyalist's route, historically, for a very long time.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
AA is cheaper because their former passengers that wouldn't have even checked DL or B6 prices in the past have moved on...LGA-PBI was a true AA loyalist's route, historically, for a very long time.
1) It seems impossible to really compete with B6 on this route as they have 17 or 18 flights from LGA, JFK, EWR, HPN

EDIT - You also have to deal with Southwest out of ISP

2) Well I guess the true indication of whether AA is really pulling back in NYC would be if they cut routes like LGA to PBI further as opposed to the various JFK cuts.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
I would guess that timing is more about parking a plane overnight at BOS instead of JFK (and having the frame available for an early morning departure from BOS), not international connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.