Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Did AA stop their morning LHR flight from JFK? Does anyone know if they are planning to bring this flight back?
What date are you looking? I don't see it running a few weeks in late Jan and early Feb but otherwise it's there.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What date are you looking? I don't see it running a few weeks in late Jan and early Feb but otherwise it's there.
I was looking at mid-Jan. Sounds like it's just off for a couple weeks over the winter and then starts back up. It's hard to take the all-day BA flight with no wifi...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
So as I watch LGA unfold before my eyes with future renderings and I having seen the new plan for JFK its leading me to think that AA will be forced to pull back over time. If you look at the LGA Plans with the US Air/ AA gate swap (LGA and DCA) Delta gained control of much of the airport. With LGA moving forward they will have plans to have a consolidated terminal. They are the real winners at LGA. At JFK B6 and Delta again are the overwhelming winners. It looks like BA and AA will consolidate into T8 as thought by many but the renderings dont show any added space to the terminal meaning AA will either be forced to enlarge the T8 on their own dime or they will leave it the same size. At the end of the day between modernization and the corporate direction AA looks like it will be forced to have a smaller role in NYC moving forward. What will be sad is if they want to come back it may be to late.

Thoughts?

Check Out The Slick New Renderings For LaGuardia's $4 Billion Delta Terminal Overhaul: Gothamist

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/go...Renderings.pdf
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I swear AA was going to launch 1x weekly LGA-AUA, but I can't find it this winter which is when I thought it would be flying.......am I missing it somewhere? Could really use a fun weekend getaway after waking up to 3 degree temps this AM!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I swear AA was going to launch 1x weekly LGA-AUA, but I can't find it this winter which is when I thought it would be flying.......am I missing it somewhere? Could really use a fun weekend getaway after waking up to 3 degree temps this AM!
It looks like it's a summer seasonal service, departing on Saturdays starting from June 8.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
American Airlines

"To Aruba, flights between New York-LaGuardia and Queen Beatrix International Airport will operate on Saturdays from June 8, 2019 with the carrier’s Boeing 737-800"

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/amer...utes-for-2019/
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Although New York is a "hub" for AA, AA decided not to battle with DL over LGA as a true hub. Other than some Eagle flights and a few one offs like to Aruba (also IIRC a seasonal flight to MCO) LGA acts like a spoke. Parker gave up LGA to DL during LUS days and carried over the tradition to PMAA (which LAA had already pulled down LGA).
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Other than some Eagle flights...
While I don't disagree that US and PMAA squandered opportunities at LGA, the extent of Eagle service to quite a number of markets makes LGA much more than a spoke.
AANYC1981, Ldnn1 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Although New York is a "hub" for AA, AA decided not to battle with DL over LGA as a true hub. Other than some Eagle flights and a few one offs like to Aruba (also IIRC a seasonal flight to MCO) LGA acts like a spoke. Parker gave up LGA to DL during LUS days and carried over the tradition to PMAA (which LAA had already pulled down LGA).
Shortly after the HP-US merger, he wanted LGA to act like a traditional hub. However, there are distance restrictions flying into LGA:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/o...a-guardia.html

It is kind of silly; seems that American and Continental (and perhaps United) helped write the rule when it was begun, as the hubs at DFW and IAH are just barely within range (and DEN was an exception). But AUS isn't, so I can fly AUS-EWR or AUS-JFK, but would have to go through a hub if I wanted to fly to LGA specifically.

Anyway, as PHX was a major hub for HP then US, Parker wanted PHX-LGA flights. HP had flown both PHX-JFK and LAS-JFK (in the days of the LAS hub) for years. He didn't see the reasoning in servicing 2 airports so close together.
US briefly did run PHX-LGA Saturday service (that is a day when the 1500 mile limit is exempted).

The US Shuttle did use LGA, for DCA-LGA-BOS flights, and I believe AA still has that, although it may not be labelled as shuttle anymore.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by aztimm
The US Shuttle did use LGA, for DCA-LGA-BOS flights, and I believe AA still has that, although it may not be labelled as shuttle anymore.
US had a very extensive operation at LGA predating the HP merger. Poor service, sub-optimal equipment and focus on other markets ultimately led to a deterioration in the value of the slots to US. With a hub at JFK, the Shuttle, and historical strength to Florida ex-LGA, DL was well positioned to make the assets at LGA much more productive by creating a single option for NYC point of sale travelers (albeit split at two airports). DL's customer base supports flights from LGA to markets US would never have been able to fill. PMAA could have arguably leveraged the assets given its sizeable JFK operation and historical strength in the NYC market, but lacked the vision and/or currency to get the slots from US.
ysolde and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
US had a very extensive operation at LGA predating the HP merger. Poor service, sub-optimal equipment and focus on other markets ultimately led to a deterioration in the value of the slots to US. With a hub at JFK, the Shuttle, and historical strength to Florida ex-LGA, DL was well positioned to make the assets at LGA much more productive by creating a single option for NYC point of sale travelers (albeit split at two airports). DL's customer base supports flights from LGA to markets US would never have been able to fill. PMAA could have arguably leveraged the assets given its sizeable JFK operation and historical strength in the NYC market, but lacked the vision and/or currency to get the slots from US.
And especially the fact that US and DL swapped 42 DCA slot pairs for 132 LGA slot pairs (which I think US was largely using for turboprop flights around NY and the neighboring states), and then US/AA had to give up the extra DCA slot pairs in the merger. So ultimately US gave DL 132 LGA slot pairs for a player to be named later who never got out of the minors.

AA (pre- or post-merger) would have been able to make much better use of those slot pairs than US, I think pretty much everyone agrees.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ashill
And especially the fact that US and DL swapped 42 DCA slot pairs for 132 LGA slot pairs (which I think US was largely using for turboprop flights around NY and the neighboring states), and then US/AA had to give up the extra DCA slot pairs in the merger. So ultimately US gave DL 132 LGA slot pairs for a player to be named later who never got out of the minors.

AA (pre- or post-merger) would have been able to make much better use of those slot pairs than US, I think pretty much everyone agrees.
the brilliant Parker “strategy” has to start from somewhere doesn’t it?

ugh.....
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+

the brilliant Parker “strategy” has to start from somewhere doesn’t it?

ugh.....
Parker has already demonstrated a brilliant strategy to deal with competitive market situations that AA finds themselves in.

Just leave.....
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
AA covers about 30 cities out of LGA. That's one hell of a spoke.
ashill, AANYC1981 and donotblink like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
AA covers about 30 cities out of LGA. That's one hell of a spoke.
it works for me too.....loving the people “fleeing” to Delta.....our UPG lists are amazingly small here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.