Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by nova08
It's only been swapped for a non-lie flat aircraft 3 times in the past 41 days.
That's IrrOps (and a 7.3% IrrOps rate is nothing to be proud of). If you pay for one of these flights more than a couple months out, there's nothing to stop AA from permanently changing the route to a different type of aircraft and then telling you to pound sand when you tell them you're not getting the product you paid for.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by lowfareair
I don't think they have any other dedicated routes, but there are at least 1x daily flights on PHL-LAX, PHL-SFO, PHL-MIA, JFK-MIA, MIA-LAX, etc. with lie flat seats.
I'm on the JFK-BOS lie flat on Wednesday.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by jordyn
That's IrrOps (and a 7.3% IrrOps rate is nothing to be proud of). If you pay for one of these flights more than a few months out, there's nothing to stop AA from permanently changing the route to a different type of aircraft and then telling you to pound sand when you tell them you're not getting the product you paid for. When you pay for Mint, on the other hand, you know you're getting a flat bed.
Exactly my point-- I would NOT pay a premium with a > 7% chance of a swap.

I remember when the JFK-LAX was operated by the 762s that were swapped to non-premium 752s so frequently that there was a dedicated thread on the forum that was always on the front page. People were very upset. The point is that you can't get a price premium without being able to guarantee a premium product. And absent the price premium it is not worth it to put lie-flats on more routes. They are putting the 332 on those routes for the extra Y capacity versus the 321, not because of lie-flats.

It's a chicken-and-egg problem. JetBlue has solved that problem by producing a proverbial chicken. So has Delta where D1 is sold as a different class from F. As a result there are a lot of people who would book Mint but would not book a random AA lie-flat (unless it were priced like a standard domestic F upgrade).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
New routes announced for 2019 by AAA:

LGA to TYS (Knoxville) daily
JFK to SAT (San Antonio) daily

Not sure if what these say, if anything, about the NYC strategy
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Adelphos

dont forget 1x weekly Saturday service LGA-Aruba! Lol I will actually probably use this
Adelphos likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent

Seems like throwing mud at the wall to see if it will stick to me.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:21 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Seems like a bad joke to me. Sad!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: Lotz

Parker's fear of competition.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
NY Post noted that Governor Cuomo’s JFK $13bn terminal plan discusses a new north terminal (where T8 is located) but what is left unsaid is where does T8 fit in. Perhaps Parker’s out and a move to a shared terminal?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by george 3
NY Post noted that Governor Cuomo’s JFK $13bn terminal plan discusses a new north terminal (where T8 is located) but what is left unsaid is where does T8 fit in. Perhaps Parker’s out and a move to a shared terminal?
The new terminal replaces T7, not T8. I expect T8 will stay where it is, get the rest of OW moving in (maybe not JL as they are part of the Terminal One Group), and possibly some modifications to allow more widebodies and lounge space at the expense of some narrowbody gates.

Last edited by lowfareair; Oct 5, 2018 at 6:54 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by george 3
Per https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/04/n...ort-cuomo.html :
One terminal will replace T1 and T2:
Mr. Cotton said that a consortium of four foreign carriers — Lufthansa, Air France, Japan Airlines and Korean Airlines — had pledged to spend $7 billion to replace Terminals 1 and 2 with a massive terminal containing 23 gates and 230,000 square feet of stores and restaurants. He said that the complex would be operated by Munich Airport International and would be connected to Terminal 4, integrating the south side of the airport.
The other will replace T7 and connect to T5.
On the north side, he said, JetBlue has proposed to demolish Terminal 7 and build a $3 billion international terminal that would connect to the airline’s hub in Terminal 5. One of JetBlue’s development partners is RXR Realty, a Long Island-based company led by Scott Rechler, a former vice-chairman of the Port Authority and major campaign contributor to Mr. Cuomo.
Terminals 4, 5, and 8 will apparently remain untouched.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tassojunior
Parker's fear of competition.
DL also flies JFK-SAT. And UA flies EWR-SAT.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AAs decision to abandon ZRH-JFK makes one wonder, if/why they could not attract critical premium cabin traffic on this popular business city pair?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by cesco.g
AAs decision to abandon ZRH-JFK makes one wonder, if/why they could not attract critical premium cabin traffic on this popular business city pair?
Could it be premium paxs looked at the ratty old 763 (and possibly suffering from a maintenance delay) and wonder is this International J? Not to mention those in Y coughing up a few thousand for no IFE/AVOD.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Could it be premium paxs looked at the ratty old 763 (and possibly suffering from a maintenance delay) and wonder is this International J? Not to mention those in Y coughing up a few thousand for no IFE/AVOD.
It was also linked to the utterly woeful operational reliability of the service - 6 hour delays were not uncommon. It became a running joke in my office (I am based in ZRH).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.