Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Will AA continue to pull back in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nova08
PHL has the Hi-J BA 744. Only 2 752 International flights remain (SNN and GLA). There will be 5 763's and the rest on 332/333 this summer. Of course no Flagship Lounge in PHL yet. But with only 3 DCA-PHL flights I've heard that they might not always connect well to international flights.
Aren't AMS and DUB still 757's?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cova
Aren't AMS and DUB still 757's?
AMS is currently a 763 but will switch back to a (LAA) 757 when DFW-AMS begins for the season on May 4. DUB is currently a 332.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
AMS is currently a 763 but will switch back to a (LAA) 757 when DFW-AMS begins for the season on May 4. DUB is currently a 332.
PHL-AMS is a 763 for the entirety of the summer season. Might switch back in the winter, but those schedules aren’t finalized anyway. DUB was a 332 for all of W18. We will see if EI’s presence does anything with the gauge in W19.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:17 pm

PHL-AMS is a 763 for the entirety of the summer season. Might switch back in the winter, but those schedules aren’t finalized anyway. DUB was a 332 for all of W18. We will see if EI’s presence does anything with the gauge in W19.
Definitely not the case for PHL-AMS. Per EF and AA.com 757 service resumes on May 4, the day DFW-AMS starts for the season (with a 772). Overall this does represent a capacity increase to AMS for all seasons. Last year we had the lone 757 from PHL year-round and a 767 from DFW during the summer. This year, we get a 767 in the winter and a 772+757 combo in the summer.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:15 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Later this year NON-STOPs (64 and 65) between JFK and ZRH will no longer run. One alternate for NYC to ZRH is via PHL; depending on the day, the connection can be as little as 1 hour and as much as 8 hours; for the first connection if you miss the PHL-ZRH there is NO other option, for the 2nd connection...8 hrs in PHL
On the NS flts JFK-ZRH many pax are making connections--hence a NS is one leg less. Another option is JFK-LHR-ZRH--LHR is not a "friendly" airport for connections.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:04 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
AA giveth and AA taketh away

On March 26, I booked a ticket from JFK to IAH departing late (approx 6:50 pm) for July travel.

On March 26 ... less than 12 hours after it was ticketed, AA send notification of a schedule change, and now it's impossible to get to my destination that same day.

Yes, I know, schedule changes can happen at any time. But 12 hours after booking?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Yes, I know, schedule changes can happen at any time. But 12 hours after booking?
Why not? Why not 12 minutes after booking, or 12 seconds after booking? You booked to a schedule and then a new schedule went live.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Later this year NON-STOPs (64 and 65) between JFK and ZRH will no longer run. One alternate for NYC to ZRH is via PHL; depending on the day, the connection can be as little as 1 hour and as much as 8 hours; for the first connection if you miss the PHL-ZRH there is NO other option, for the 2nd connection...8 hrs in PHL
On the NS flts JFK-ZRH many pax are making connections--hence a NS is one leg less. Another option is JFK-LHR-ZRH--LHR is not a "friendly" airport for connections.
The JFK-ZRH nonstops have already been moved to PHL as of last weekend--the last JFK-ZRH flight departed on March 24, and the plane turned around in ZRH for PHL the following day.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Definitely not the case for PHL-AMS. Per EF and AA.com 757 service resumes on May 4, the day DFW-AMS starts for the season (with a 772). Overall this does represent a capacity increase to AMS for all seasons. Last year we had the lone 757 from PHL year-round and a 767 from DFW during the summer. This year, we get a 767 in the winter and a 772+757 combo in the summer.
I just looked at PHL - AMS and its a 767 in S2018.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by a330boston
I just looked at PHL - AMS and its a 767 in S2018.
Ah, I see what's happening. The 757 operates for 1-2 months starting May 4, then the 767 resumes service sometime in June. My oversight!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
On March 26, I booked a ticket from JFK to IAH departing late (approx 6:50 pm) for July travel.

On March 26 ... less than 12 hours after it was ticketed, AA send notification of a schedule change, and now it's impossible to get to my destination that same day.

Couldn't a schedule change 12 hours after booking be a blessing as opposed to one month before you travel? This way, you can cancel the ticket outright and create a new itinerary. You have options when the schedule change occurs so soon after booking and your travel date is somewhat far in the future.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:27 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jcatman
Couldn't a schedule change 12 hours after booking be a blessing as opposed to one month before you travel? This way, you can cancel the ticket outright and create a new itinerary. You have options when the schedule change occurs so soon after booking and your travel date is somewhat far in the future.
You're exactly correct! I have a customer near MCO who is small enough to matter, but not large enough to go out and visit regularly. I was able to rebook the flight to a late-night JFK-MCO, then the next evening MCO-DFW-IAH, thus picking up a free day-trip to MCO.

Now I'm hoping for schedule changes on all my other upcoming trips too, LOL
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:10 am

Unfortunately, no business traveller from NYC is going to connect in PHL for a flight. We have too many options. Most will just take LX, DL or UA to ZRH. There are already 6x a day from NYC.

Its too bad that AA isn't adding more TATL destinations from JFK. DL keeps growing. Gets hard to ignore.
ysolde and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
PHL has the Hi-J BA 744. Only 2 752 International flights remain (SNN and GLA). There will be 5 763's and the rest on 332/333 this summer. Of course no Flagship Lounge in PHL yet. But with only 3 DCA-PHL flights I've heard that they might not always connect well to international flights.
Unless you want a very long layover, there is only one flight on a regional jet from DCA-PHL that connects with the TATL block. Gven the number of people in DC, makes me think they'd rather you go through LHR on BA or AA somehow than take the AA metal to the continent. For the early flights from PHL (ATH/MUC/MAD) the only one stop option requires you to have a 7 hour layover. Makes no sense to me except that I guess AA doesn't really want us using PHL.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
Unfortunately, no business traveller from NYC is going to connect in PHL for a flight. We have too many options. Most will just take LX, DL or UA to ZRH. There are already 6x a day from NYC.

Its too bad that AA isn't adding more TATL destinations from JFK. DL keeps growing. Gets hard to ignore.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. I've been on PHL-LGA a few times (ironically, to connect in LGA) and it's been chock full every time of NYC originating/departing passengers. There is a reason AA continues to run PHL-LGA flights, despite the short distance, and now operates PHL-JFK as well. People are connecting. Nevertheless, I would say "most" business passengers aren't going to connect, but some clearly are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.