Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boarding Process Enforcement - Cell Phones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Process Enforcement - Cell Phones

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kreative03
Maybe it's just me, but I believe the real problem lies with a sign that says 1–4. It gives the impression, desired or not, for folks to line up actively if they meet any of the criteria (1-2-3-4) as opposed to needing to meet a specific criteria (see the 3 sided or digital A-B-C signs that southwest employs)
if by "problem" you mean "gate lice," I disagree. 1-4 are all elites and in most cases there aren't THAT many of them. The main people clogging up the boarding area are typically the later groups that know they might have an issue getting their bag on so get as close to the "line" as possible so they can move forward at a moment's notice.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Originally Posted by GoPhils
if by "problem" you mean "gate lice," I disagree. 1-4 are all elites and in most cases there aren't THAT many of them. The main people clogging up the boarding area are typically the later groups that know they might have an issue getting their bag on so get as close to the "line" as possible so they can move forward at a moment's notice.
I suppose, given the make up of this message board, that I was trying to be kind. There are many many many elites that are of the gate lice variety. They are standing as far up as they possibly can in the area that says 1-4. Same goes for those in 5-9. I honestly can't be alone in seeing this, but maybe it's just the hubs I fly through on a regular basis.

What I do find amusing, however, is how similar this ultimately ends up to the lines in Asia or Europe, where all elites and first/biz class queue up together.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
just my 2 cents again, but why dont they just use the electronic board to broadcast group number boarding, the 1-4 group line can and probably is confusing to a lot of passengers.
Just make the so called prioty line for AA elites (gold and up of course) and CX and first class
Couple of things -

1. I think UA's (and Southwest to an extent) boarding process helps encourage this behavior, especially with people who fly different carriers and aren't going to remember the difference in boarding processes. UA is at least easier to line up in the chutes (at the gates that have the 5 lane setup.. the 2 lane ones encounter the same problem as AA). I agree the "1-4" verbiage is confusing, similar to UA when the 2 lane setup has "1-2" and "3-5".

2. Maybe I missed it in this thread, but does AA not have the rejection "beep" that comes up if someone attempts to board out of order? I am AA gold but never pay that close attention when I fly AA. On UA, I think that has been a good deterrent for people to board out of turn, as the loud beep is very obvious they are boarding with the wrong group, and the agent either has to override it (if family/travel companion) or send them back which is always fun to watch.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Easiest solution is what United does. If you're in the wrong group the system makes a different beeping noise when boarding.
Exactly. The GA then asks you to wait your turn. And you stand to the side by yourself and feel shame.

The code is simple and asking a GA to click a button when (s)he calls the next group isn't rocket surgery either.
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kreative03
I suppose, given the make up of this message board, that I was trying to be kind. There are many many many elites that are of the gate lice variety. They are standing as far up as they possibly can in the area that says 1-4. Same goes for those in 5-9. I honestly can't be alone in seeing this, but maybe it's just the hubs I fly through on a regular basis.

What I do find amusing, however, is how similar this ultimately ends up to the lines in Asia or Europe, where all elites and first/biz class queue up together.
I see that, but IMO that is mostly for F/Group 1. So other than if there happens to be a CK, even if it's before boarding has begun those folks would be "next" in line to board.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage - PLT Pro, United Premier PLT, HHonors - Diamond, National - Ex. Elite
Boarding solution

First, I think it has gotten better since AA has started calling by group number versus the prior plt elite, plt, gold, blah blah. That used to confuse a lot of no -regular travelers. Calling group 1, 2, 3..... Makes it easier for this folks.
However, to solve the problem off early boarders would actually be very easy. GA needs to enforce the rules when they are scanning the passes!!!!!

I routinely see folks board in my group (3) when I can clearly see their pass and they are in 6 or whatever. And in most cases the GA just lets them go. Very frustrating.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Yesterday on a DFW-PHL, the GAs first called out the last names of the folks they were expecting to preboard (wheelchair assists) and said that they could also take the two CKs on the flight. They turned everyone else away. I thought this was a good move.

Boarding by zones proceeded normally, but sitting in F and in zone 1 I don’t know if they turned away folks randomly trying to board ahead of their zone.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
2. Maybe I missed it in this thread, but does AA not have the rejection "beep" that comes up if someone attempts to board out of order? I am AA gold but never pay that close attention when I fly AA. On UA, I think that has been a good deterrent for people to board out of turn, as the loud beep is very obvious they are boarding with the wrong group, and the agent either has to override it (if family/travel companion) or send them back which is always fun to watch.
It apparently does not. Very recently, I boarded when Group 1 was called and plunked myself down in 1A. I was the first one on, and it took a couple minutes for me to realize 1) No-one was close behind me, and 2) I was on a CRJ-200. So, no, unlike my other segments I had not been upgraded, for obvious reasons -- and was in fact in Group 3.

Interestingly, when I arrived at the end of the jetbridge there was a covering over the aircraft entrance, removed by an FA who was not aware boarding had commenced.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
DFWMCO last night. Many people collecting near priority queue. I am glancing trying to determine who I need to wait behind. Group 6 visible on the phone BP of the passenger next to me. I proceed when they call Group 1, and he follows, and gate agent doesn't even flinch.

I get it. They want the flight loaded and gone to hit on time departure. But I'm afraid boarding a plane will never be a pleasant experience. Unless they figure out a way to hinge open the entire side of the fuselage and let every row board at once, rather than the current sardines-in-a-can procedure.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
My guess is that is disabled due to the number of people travelling with others. The one with the highest group number in the group gets a free pass for everyone else. Years past they tried separating families when they had different group numbers. I don't know any parent that would leave behind a 9-year-old to board later on their own. This has applied to adults as well, so just like going into Costco, I always say I'm with him, pointing to someone, anyone behind me.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I have noticed that GAs have been much more attentive to boarding priority lately. They still aren’t really checking MBPs (at least mine). However, while watching boarding in DEN last week, I saw a boarding pass scanned, the machine beeped, and the gate agent told the passenger to wait until his group is called.

With the introduction of Basic Economy, there obviously was a financial incentive to implement this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:59 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GoPhils
On Monday morning the first few flts from DFW to LGA are "top heavy" with elites, 1/2 the plane are usually EXPs.
Pre CK official status, for a DFW-LGA, they announced: "we are having a special boarding" 7 CKs were asked to line up, a CS agent greeted them, they boarded first.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Aero137
With the introduction of Basic Economy, there obviously was a financial incentive to implement this.
Was thinking the same thing. Considering this is how they're enforcing no carry-ons (by only stopping people who are in Group 8), it would make sense that they would start to care a lot more about this. If they don't, I could buy a BE ticket and get away with a free carry-on by boarding in an earlier group.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
You would think they could just program their system to do a different beep and pop up window message to alert the gate agent that the person is on a BE ticket and to check for carry on bags (excluding those who have status). Then make the gate agent hit Enter or click ok to acknowledge the pop up message and move on to the next person in line.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:32 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Or do like the train system has done for decades. Hire a conductor to walk down the aisle and check tickets. If the fare code says 'B' and the passenger has luggage in the overhead bin, sternly chuck either the passenger or their suitcase out the back door. It's not as harsh as it sounds. After all, the 'B' tickets are adjacent to the back door anyway, so it's not like its a long-distance chuck.
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
You would think they could just program their system to do a different beep and pop up window message to alert the gate agent that the person is on a BE ticket and to check for carry on bags (excluding those who have status). Then make the gate agent hit Enter or click ok to acknowledge the pop up message and move on to the next person in line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.