Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boarding Process Enforcement - Cell Phones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Process Enforcement - Cell Phones

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by asf-07
When you use a paper boarding pass, you hand it over to the agent to scan. An agent can easily glance and see your boarding group - at that time, they at least have the option to send you back and wait for your group.

When you use a mobile boarding pass, the agents never really look at them - you scan it yourself at the gate. All that happens on the screen is your assigned seat turns from yellow to green. There is no indication of your boarding group. I've never had an agent look at my mobile boarding pass to confirm that I'm boarding with the correct group.
Originally Posted by ryan182
I'm guessing its because the GAs dont see the mobile BP as they direct the pax to scan thee, I assume they dont want to have a situation where they drop/break a phone, since you scan it face down .
OK, I guess that makes sense. But I've seen GA's send people back with mobile BPs that came up in the wrong group. So it still depends on what the individual GA is interested in enforcing.

All told given the convenience of mobile BPs, a few freeloaders on the boarding process doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
My old boss loved to game the mobile
boarding pass and boarding process. He would screen shot his mobile
boarding pass, then zoom in on the QR code so you couldn't see the boarding group number and screen shot it again. THEN, he would go into a photo editing app and convert it to a black and white image so it appeared as though he was priority/had status vs the blue boarding pass.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
This is a "first world" problem for sure, but I am not looking to cut the line in front of me, I prefer no one does the same to me. But the current system of folks using their cell phone to check in, not only slows down the boarding process but encourages bad behavior and prevents the GA from being able to enforce the order without slowing it down even more.
Sorry, but this seems like a solution looking for a problem. Unless there was a massive traffic jam caused by this, what's the issue? Beyond just wanting to impose "order" on others where none is vital?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Perhaps they were all corporate travel managers who got CK through volume of business but force themselves to travel as they make others do

Perhaps, anything is possible I suppose. The oldest one of them looked to be 25 years old. Good for them if true!

I would find that a 'lil hard to believe though
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:48 pm

The oldest one of them looked to be 25 years old.
Active duty?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grog
Sorry, but this seems like a solution looking for a problem. Unless there was a massive traffic jam caused by this, what's the issue? Beyond just wanting to impose "order" on others where none is vital?
The issue is that US domestic airlines nickle and dime passengers for everything these days incentivizing folks to bring their bags more then ever as carry on vice check them. The space between domestic couch seats is completely UNSAT for those not height challenged. The overhead storage bins a fraction of what they are on INT flights so folks don't want to play "musical chairs" and get left with nowhere to put their bag.

And or for those of us who are rather tall and have long legs and check their bags regardless and want to use the limited space under the seat in from of us for our legs vice our computer bag this all creates a rush for many to board ASAP to secure a limited storage space.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Active duty?
NOPE - Active Duty is Group 1 - not CK members which is what they clearly called prior to group 1.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
CK a in Citi Kardholder?
12 Ck travelling in Y when a GLD member get an upgrade to First, somehow this does not cut the mustard.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
I never thought of doing this, but great idea!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:24 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I thought the original post was brilliant and entertaining.

Any proposals for a better boarding process? One that rewards compliance (instead of the current one which rewards non-compliance)?

If I could change just one itty-bitty thing: I wonder if they can call only the boarding groups which actually exist? For example, they always call for CK to board, even if there are no CK on the flight. Also, on a domestic flight, if there are open seats in FC, then there can't be any Group 2 (Exec Plat) .. but they always call for Group 2 anyway, even if there are none.

The boarding procedure is supposed to save time, so their expensive airplane can hurry up and get into the air. It would save lots of time if they can figure out a way to call for ONLY the boarding groups which actually exist.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I do think it shouldn't be hard to make the computer give a "bzzzz" or something when someone tries to scan a BP that's in the wrong group (yet still have a manual override available for people boarding with others, etc). I don't think enforcing the GA should be completely responsible for enforcing the order.

But I don't think mobile BP's slow down the process in general. You don't need to hand the phone to three GA, and I feel like most people that use them do know what they're doing.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I've a similar situation experienced the OP has as well.

On a recent trip out of DFW, there were about 15 CK members that boarded when called. I was in F and boarded near the front of the group. Upon entering the cabin, all of the CK members were in Y. I found that odd but figured there must be a reason for it and went on about my business.

I've also experienced in DFW some GA policing the queue ahead of boarding as well as making it very clear that they will be turning people away that are not boarding in their correct group.

I too believe that the there is a why that the software used for boarding can do the policing as well. I've had situations when I've changed my seat after checking in but attempted to use the e-bp on my phone. The system stopped me and I was issued a new boarding pass. The same has happened when I was upgraded when boarding. The agent just scanned the BPs that were laid out on the table and grabbed my new one and sent me on my way...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:42 am

As someone who flies every week, I cannot even imagine inventorying who is boarding when and how, or who belongs with what group even cross my mind. Maybe it it's just me but I have, at least, 1000 other things that are more concerning and that I can actually affect on my mind.

Gate agents start at $10,85/hr, maybe if you want to enforce consistency you can be the change you seek and change jobs.
Grog likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
The issue is that US domestic airlines nickle and dime passengers for everything these days incentivizing folks to bring their bags more then ever as carry on vice check them. The space between domestic couch seats is completely UNSAT for those not height challenged. The overhead storage bins a fraction of what they are on INT flights so folks don't want to play "musical chairs" and get left with nowhere to put their bag.

And or for those of us who are rather tall and have long legs and check their bags regardless and want to use the limited space under the seat in from of us for our legs vice our computer bag this all creates a rush for many to board ASAP to secure a limited storage space.
So instead of going after the airlines for their nickle and diming, the choice is to go after the airlines to rabidly enforce their order of boarding? It's a "shakin' my head" moment here...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
This is why a commuter plane - half full can have 12 "CK members" sitting in the back of the plane - while a Gold member is sitting in FC next to empty seats.
On a half full commuter plane does boarding order really matter much?

Maybe that's why the GA was unconcerned with enforcement @:-)
JonNYC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.