FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   OK for kids to run around in quiet/no-cell zone of Admirals Club? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1859272-ok-kids-run-around-quiet-no-cell-zone-admirals-club.html)

ibrandsguest Aug 6, 2017 5:22 pm

OK for kids to run around in quiet/no-cell zone of Admirals Club?

In the Philadelphia Admirals Club yesterday (at the intersection of the B/C concourses), I was one of a few people in the area at the end of the main part of the lounge, where there are signs saying "Quiet Area/No Cell Phones".

There were 2 children who kept running up and down the length of the Admirals Club, and they'd run through the quiet zone as well.

One guy got up, physically blocked them, and told them to play somewhere else. Their mother scolded the guy, saying, "They're just walking!" and the guy told her to take them somewhere else.

I was kind of irked at the guy as he was pretty loud when he told them off, but having children running and playing in the quiet area is not cool, right? It was disruptive hearing running feet every few minutes (combined with typical kid noises, such as laughing), so I viewed him as more in the right than the children and their mother.

enviroian Aug 6, 2017 5:28 pm

What a bunch of moronic parents those kids have. I would have gone up to the desk and complained immediately

JonNYC Aug 6, 2017 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter (Post 28656009)
In the Philadelphia Admirals Club yesterday (at the intersection of the B/C concourses), I was one of a few people in the area at the end of the main part of the lounge, where there are signs saying "Quiet Area/No Cell Phones".

There were 2 children who kept running up and down the length of the Admirals Club, and they'd run through the quiet zone as well.

One guy got up, physically blocked them, and told them to play somewhere else. Their mother scolded the guy, saying, "They're just walking!" and the guy told her to take them somewhere else.

I was kind of irked at the guy as he was pretty loud when he told them off, but having children running and playing in the quiet area is not cool, right? It was disruptive hearing running feet every few minutes (combined with typical kid noises, such as laughing), so I viewed him as more in the right than the children and their mother.

This issue seems to follow you a bit:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rals-club.html

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
This morning in the main Admirals Club in Charlotte, a family with a large number of children let their children run around the Club, screaming, throwing things and more. It was unreal, and the racket and pandemonium could be heard all through the Club. It was around 10am today. I'm now used to loud kids, but this topped everything that I've seen in 15 yeas as a member.

Question: The next time this happens, how do I get them kicked out?

Club rules on aa.com state that a disruptive guest may be removed.

There is no reason to have a Club membership when the regular airport gates are tranquil and quiet by comparison.

I'd say same advice you got in that thread applies.

Dallas49er Aug 6, 2017 6:17 pm

I believe that W. C. Fields had the right idea.

Kudos to to someone who stands up to "entitled" parents.

YMMV

AANYC1981 Aug 6, 2017 7:02 pm

NO....<redacted> is this even a question?

inpd Aug 6, 2017 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 28656231)
NO....<redacted> is this even a question?

I don't understand the question.

Of course it isn't acceptable. Isn't the question how should I get them thrown out?

nrr Aug 6, 2017 9:24 pm

ENCLOSED quiet areas

The FT thread noted in post#3 has been "closed".
Several ACs have enclosed QUIET areas (as opposed to clubs that just set off a section of the club and post "QUIET" signs). If pax violate that enclosed space: using cell phones, permitting children(=brats) to make noise, the AC agents would be on much firmer ground ejecting noise makers.

Dave Noble Aug 6, 2017 9:24 pm

The person who tried to block them and tried to tell the Mother what to do was really in the wrong imo ; he has no right to tell them what they can do

Did you actually go to a member of staff in the lounge and ask the staff member if something could be done to address the problem?

MDJennings Aug 6, 2017 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28656605)
The person who tried to block them and tried to tell the Mother what to do was really in the wrong imo ; he has no right to tell them what they can do

Did you actually go to a member of staff in the lounge and ask the staff member if something could be done to address the problem?

Of course he has the right to tell them what to do, but the children also have the right to not follow his demands either.

Personally I would have asked the mother to take them elsewhere or calm them down. If the situation wasn't rectified, I would then complain to the front desk.

Yes, they are children, but parents need to understand the impact their children just being children has on others. You'd want them to take a crying or screaming child out of a movie theater wouldn't you? If anything, the situation should have never reached the point of the male confronting the children since their mother should have been considerate of others.

leungy18 Aug 6, 2017 10:41 pm

Entitled parents are a cancer...if your kid needs a break, just hang out with the non-status plebs in the terminal. But the guy who stopped the kid should've gone to lounge staff instead of taking matters into his own hands.

rjw242 Aug 6, 2017 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by leungy18 (Post 28656773)
Entitled parents are a cancer...if your kid needs a break, just hang out with the non-status plebs in the terminal. But the guy who stopped the kid should've gone to lounge staff instead of taking matters into his own hands.

I dunno, I kind of appreciate someone taking a direct approach before "calling the cops," so to speak. But then maybe that's a result of my upbringing, where there would've been absolute hell to pay (from me) if another adult had complained about my behavior to my parents. :)

MDJennings Aug 6, 2017 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242 (Post 28656776)
I dunno, I kind of appreciate someone taking a direct approach before "calling the cops," so to speak. But then maybe that's a result of my upbringing, where there would've been absolute hell to pay (from me) if another adult had complained about my behavior to my parents. :)

I agree. It's like not bothering to nicely ask a person kicking your seat in the movie theater or airplane to stop doing so and instead buzzing the FA or ticket taker directly. Are people so soft these days that they're THAT confrontation adverse?

Then again it invites the question of whether someone getting their seat kicked even has to ask the perpetrator to stop doing so in the first place.

British Airways Concorde Aug 7, 2017 4:15 am

HELL NAW! im suprised the mom did not make a big scene since some think it's inappropriate to scold other people's children

Often1 Aug 7, 2017 6:50 am

While the children were clearly violating the AC rules and it was the parent's responsibility to assure that they do obey the rules, the loud mouth ought to have asked staff to deal with the issue. It is the staff's job to enforce AA's rules, not the self-appointed hall monitors.

On that note, there are all kinds of know-it-all's who may, in this particular case be correct, but are often wrong. That is why I ignore those people and I generally advise others to do so as well.

Don't forget that staff have the ability to respond to the "only children" excuse with the "perhaps you will be more comfortable elsewhere outside the lounge" response.

bchandler02 Aug 7, 2017 7:13 am

Good for the guy that stood up to this stupid entitlement crap. If more people would stand up for themselves, alot of things would get better.