OK to change to pyjamas in the lounge?

Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by GiantCow
How do you tell the difference between an expensive and inexpensive polo shirt?
Price tag...

This is the extent of my knowledge in fashion.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by leungy18
Mother-of-pearl buttons are a sign of an expensive polo. Not that plastic buttons equals cheap, of course, but something to keep in mind. Expensive polo shirts also tend to have a soft, ribbed collar that sort of fits nicely around the neck, as opposed to a harder collar made out of just one piece of fabric. If the construction is a set-on placket -- the top part of the shirt is sown separately and attached after -- that's another sign of an expensive polo.

The density of the fabric and how even the stitching is also says a lot about its quality, if you are close enough to look.
Yes, this appears to be the standards as far as expensive polo's go....the kind that makes men and women turn to look at you a second, sometimes a third time. The kind of polo that makes you feel like you just spent $100 on a collared shirt and makes you feel expensive...makes you look expensive....and gives you an edge when you walk....that confident walk...and look.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That's just not the case. OZ 214 or BA 38, for example.

I always remain fully clothed until the fasten seat belt sign goes off. I don't want to find myself having to run barefoot across a snowy, muddy field just west off the end of 27L or 27R at Heathrow.
Shoes on for takeoff and landing - absolutely.
Save the ambien for after takeoff - absolutely.
PJs or other sleep attire - really depends on the airport and time of year. I would not change into PJs departing YUL in January, for example.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:29 pm
Suspended

I would find it bizzare to see someone at the departure gate in PJ's....and hotel slippers. Very bizzare. If anything, it should happen once in the cabin and not before. Just saying. You may see it at an airport in China. You may even see it happen in Dubai or Abu Dhabi or Medina but...would not expect to see someone ready for bed at the gate in Newark, or Dallas or LA or San Fran or Singapore or Hong Kong.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:29 pm

How is all of this really specific to AA?

I'll nominate this as most OMNI worthy (and pointless) thread of 2017 or we need a new travel fashion forum
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
How is all of this really specific to AA?

I'll nominate this as most OMNI worthy (and pointless) thread of 2017 or we need a new travel fashion forum
Perhaps a new forum altogether. Call it "Harrumph!!"
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjw242
Perhaps a new forum altogether. Call it "Harrumph!!"
Should have a forum section called "FURY."
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by wolf72
Yes, this appears to be the standards as far as expensive polo's go....the kind that makes men and women turn to look at you a second, sometimes a third time. The kind of polo that makes you feel like you just spent $100 on a collared shirt and makes you feel expensive...makes you look expensive....and gives you an edge when you walk....that confident walk...and look.
There's a small crowd at the boarding school I attend who absolutely love that look. Lacoste polo, pink shorts, boat shoes, Ray Bans. Bonus points for a tacky gold watch and a slicked-back Trump Jr. haircut. It screams "douche".

I find the look actually helps in certain scenarios (no, not the haircut, just the expensive polo+accessories). Like when I check into a hotel or an airline lounge alone. I feel staff treat me a bit more respectfully (that includes FAs). Servers in a restaurant are more attentive. Employees in a high-end store will start and continue conversations instead of dismissing me as a "window shopper", even after I tell them I'm just browsing.

But it's not a look I'd choose to display on a daily basis. The "confident douche" vibe gets awkward very quickly if you're in a Walmart or a fast food place: it's just weird. Like an economy pax wearing a contrast-collar shirt.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:52 pm

There's a small crowd at the boarding school I attend who absolutely love that look. Lacoste polo, pink shorts, boat shoes, Ray Bans. Bonus points for a tacky gold watch and a slicked-back Trump Jr. haircut. It screams "douche".

I find the look actually helps in certain scenarios (no, not the haircut, just the expensive polo+accessories). Like when I check into a hotel or an airline lounge alone. I feel staff treat me a bit more respectfully (that includes FAs). Servers in a restaurant are more attentive. Employees in a high-end store will start and continue conversations instead of dismissing me as a "window shopper", even after I tell them I'm just browsing.

But it's not a look I'd choose to display on a daily basis. The "confident douche" vibe gets awkward very quickly if you're in a Walmart or a fast food place: it's just weird. Like an economy pax wearing a contrast-collar shirt.
It just gets better!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:46 am
Suspended

I think the way you dress and present yourself in public does garner a little bit of "respect" and attention, especially when it comes to dealing with airline staff sometimes. I am not saying it is right or if someone dressed smartly should get better treatment or preference but it happens.

I am like the worst dresser in the world outside of corporate office wear when it comes to travelling on holidays...shorts, a comfortable adidas or puma polo, slip on sketcher shoes and a backpack. Totally the opposite from the long sleeve office shirt, slacks, tie and expensive leather shoes and gelled hair.

But it does help when you need to solve a problem. Sometimes. And having some mileage and credentials when it comes to airline cards helps.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1010101
It just gets better!
You know that look. Confident. Smart. Educated. Not just educated. REALLY REALLY educated in an EXPENSIVE college people only talk about but never get into. Soft, expensive leather shoes you paid with your platinum card. Expensive Tom Ford perfume. Boy...it's just too hot to carry on writing.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is the OP's "next week", it's really not AA-specific and the topic has strayed wildly off topic. We'll put this thread into pajamas / pyjamas and let it sleep.

/Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.