OK to change to pyjamas in the lounge?

Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
OK to change to pyjamas in the lounge?

Flying from LHR to South America via JFK in C next week. What I really feel like doing is having a shower in the Flagship Lounge at JFK, change into my Lufthansa pyjamas (I'd much rather change in a spacious shower room than in an airplane toilet), and walk down to the gate in that and slippers, with a view toward drifting into sleep soon after takeoff. But I've never seen anybody do that, so even though I'm reaching an age when I don't really care that much, I'm hesitant about this plan. Thoughts? Too much?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Seriously? Ah, no. It's an airport departure gate, not your bedroom.

Wow.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
I've seen people dressed much worse... just saying.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, that would be a little unusual.

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
But I've never seen anybody do that...
There's a reason for that!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Seriously? Ah, no. It's an airport departure gate, not your bedroom.

Wow.
I'll take that as a no.

Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Flying from LHR to South America via JFK in C next week. What I really feel like doing is having a shower in the Flagship Lounge at JFK, change into my Lufthansa pyjamas (I'd much rather change in a spacious shower room than in an airplane toilet), and walk down to the gate in that and slippers, with a view toward drifting into sleep soon after takeoff. But I've never seen anybody do that, so even though I'm reaching an age when I don't really care that much, I'm hesitant about this plan. Thoughts? Too much?
Have a shower than change into some PJ's that look more like a gym attire (e.g. Lightweight fleece pants, T- shirt). Don't wear slippers that would look quite odd odd and you would want some type of sneaker in case there was an emergency and you needed to get off aircraft. Once wheels up kick off the sneak shoot and have on a comfy pair of socks. Lots of people dress like this on planes now or many other settings, just look around!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:39 am

I have no idea what the Lufthansa pjs look like. Some airlines look like gym attire others look like pjs. I totally agree no slippers but I have once or twice gotten off the plane still wearing my pjs now always in the winter when I have a coat over top
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:50 am

Maybe if you were in F
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Have a shower than change into some PJ's that look more like a gym attire (e.g. Lightweight fleece pants, T- shirt). Don't wear slippers that would look quite odd odd and you would want some type of sneaker in case there was an emergency and you needed to get off aircraft. Once wheels up kick off the sneak shoot and have on a comfy pair of socks. Lots of people dress like this on planes now or many other settings, just look around!
I basically agree with this. I have changed into "pajamas" in the JFK Flagship Lounge before an overnight flight in Y, but mine are not really proper pajamas. Lightweight pants and long sleeve t-shirt type thing, not a matching set, with sneakers on my feet. I certainly was not the sloppiest person boarding the plane and probably not in the lounge either. PJs that look like PJs would be out of place. However, I'm not sure into what category LH PJs fall. The bottoms would likely be fine.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
These? Or similar to these, van Laack pyjamas with shirt collar? Nice!

It really depends on how sensitive you might be to others' glances and facial gestures. I doubt there will be much of that, and others may actually be dressed more sloppily than that on a redeye flight. In the lounge as you're departing or as you're walking to your gate, you may catch glances - but anything more than that is on the other person, not you.

Though aircraft accidents are very rare, they're more likely during takeoff, landing and taxi phases; I'd second wearing tennis / track shoes / tackies / sneakers. You don't want to evacuate in floppy slippers or bare feet and hit the tarmac with metal bits and flames like that.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 6, 2017 at 7:42 am
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I've seen plenty of people where PJ's in the gate area, walking through the airport, etc. I see nothing wrong with it as long as you're comfortable in it.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:17 am

American rules of partial nudity apply:
If you're hot and female, it's fine.

If you're not and/or male, it's not.

Anyway, I always just change in my seat. Wear clothes you can slip into and out of quickly, do it on take-off when everyone's strapped in and busy, and use your blanket for cover.

I wouldn't worry too much about being in PJs for an evac...if it happens, everyone's dead anyway.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by lobo411
Anyway, I always just change in my seat. Wear clothes you can slip into and out of quickly, do it on take-off when everyone's strapped in and busy, and use your blanket for cover.
Have done this a few times, although usually I'll just try to be the first (or one of) into the bathroom and change into some decent-looking sweatpants and a t-shirt.

That said, I think wearing decent sweats and a sweatshirt/t-shirt and sneakers from the lounge is acceptable... way more than wearing typical PJ's. Slippers- no way.

But ultimately it's not illegal or immoral, so other than a few strange looks, nobody is going to stop you.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I would certainly wait until the cramped lavatory.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
What's next, you are gonna put slippers on to board the plane? God, I miss the old days of flying when people maintained a certain decorum to fly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.