Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways nixes plan to buy 10% stake in American Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Airways nixes plan to buy 10% stake in American Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Thumbs up Qatar Airways nixes plan to buy 10% stake in American Airlines

"Further review of the proposed financial investment, taking into account the latest public disclosure of American Airlines, has demonstrated that the investment no longer meets our objectives," Qatar Airways said

IMHO.... TG!

I wonder what they meant.... Maybe, AA going to restore the PHL-TLV route???
After speaking with a number of former USAir employees, they were certain that Qatar forced them to shut down the route despite what the "Official" word was....
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MarJon
"Further review of the proposed financial investment, taking into account the latest public disclosure of American Airlines, has demonstrated that the investment no longer meets our objectives," Qatar Airways said

IMHO.... TG!

After speaking with a number of former USAir employees, they were certain that Qatar forced them to shut down the route despite what the "Official" word was....
A 10% stake does not allow the shareholder power over operational decisions, and why would QR care if AA flew PHL-TLV? BA flies LHR-TLV and QR is much closer to them than AA.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:48 pm
Suspended

IMHO.... TG!

All of those employees you spoke to were 100% wrong and completely knowledgeless about that.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Wanted to provide a link to one of the stories....

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/02/qata...-airlines.html
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:21 pm

This the the most wrong statement I've read on FT in a long time.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by millionmiler
This the the most wrong statement I've read on FT in a long time.
You must not have read the post from the guy who thinks people in the US have a protected right to fly.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
All of those employees you spoke to were 100% wrong and completely knowledgeless about that.
Maybe so, but can you provide a credible source as to why NOT just PHL-TLV was axed, but all of Israel? I mean it's not like there's a pittance of travel between the U.S. (NYC, LAX, etc.) and Israel. It's quite difficult to swallow that AA dropped Israel for financial reasons, when they fly to (for example) ATH, which is nearly as far and primarily Tourist/Cruise traffic. AA essentially ceded Israel to their U.S. rivals, Delta and United - why ?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11
Maybe so, but can you provide a credible source as to why NOT just PHL-TLV was axed, but all of Israel? I mean it's not like there's a pittance of travel between the U.S. (NYC, LAX, etc.) and Israel. It's quite difficult to swallow that AA dropped Israel for financial reasons, when they fly to (for example) ATH, which is nearly as far and primarily Tourist/Cruise traffic. AA essentially ceded Israel to their U.S. rivals, Delta and United - why ?
Because they could light bucket loads of money on fire and achieve the same thing?*

*and have a free frame to fly a 1.5 EU round trips too.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

IMHO.... TG!

I wonder what they meant....
What is "TG?" Never seen that acronym before.

As to what the statement means, my reading is that QR is saying that AA's financial situation doesn't meet their investment objectives. Presumably, QR wanted to invest in a US airline to both foster a closer relationship and generate decent return. But that's just my interpretation of the statement.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Maybe so, but can you provide a credible source as to why NOT just PHL-TLV was axed, but all of Israel?
You mean all those other Israeli airports that other US carriers provide nonstop service to?

In any case, he is the credible source.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by anabolism
I haven't either, but from context, my guess is "thank goodness". But it would be nice if people spelled out words more; electrons are free, and using acronyms and abbreviations does not make one smart or knowledgeable. I include myself in that.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
I haven't either, but from context, my guess is "thank goodness". But it would be nice if people spelled out words more; electrons are free, and using acronyms and abbreviations does not make one smart or knowledgeable. I include myself in that.
Maybe the OP really likes Thai Airways?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
PHL-TLV was the only Israel flight for AA. It was axed because the market sucked. One surely cannot possibly compare the success of NY/LA-TLV with a place like Philly to TLV.

Originally Posted by anabolism

As to what the statement means, my reading is that QR is saying that AA's financial situation doesn't meet their investment objectives. Presumably, QR wanted to invest in a US airline to both foster a closer relationship and generate decent return. But that's just my interpretation of the statement.
To me, TG = Thai Airways.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjw242
You mean all those other Israeli airports that other US carriers provide nonstop service to?
That part confused me too.

Originally Posted by rjw242
...In any case, he is the credible source.
^
I'd put my proven credibility on these type of issues up against absolutely anyone's.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Hasn't this TLV discussion be beat to death already? Ugh! Fly United on their new 77W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.