Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I finally ended my loyalty to AA and I love it....

I finally ended my loyalty to AA and I love it....

Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I think the point a few people are making here is that it's great to shop around but you also need to be smart about it an recognize potential consequences.
100% agree. I'm quite happy with the likes of Allegiant and Norwegian for leisure and non-time-critical business travel. If it's absolutely critical that I'm somewhere at a certain time, though, I'd be less inclined to use them.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
This doesn't help domestic issues with low cost carriers. Flying airlines like Allegiant for example could mean some pretty nasty delays for mechanical issues. With sometimes only one or two routes a week to the airports they serve there isn't a backup plane sitting around. With AA or other similar size carriers there are typically many more options to get someone home on time.

I think the point a few people are making here is that it's great to shop around but you also need to be smart about it an recognize potential consequences.
The reply was in response to the comment regarding use of Norwegian Premium economy - where these protections exist

Originally Posted by rjw242
100% agree. I'm quite happy with the likes of Allegiant and Norwegian for leisure and non-time-critical business travel. If it's absolutely critical that I'm somewhere at a certain time, though, I'd be less inclined to use them.
With my experiences of AA domestic travel, I wouldn't be using AA if it was critical to arrive on time
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
One thing that I've found especially helpful with status has been the experience during IRROPS.

During 2 trips in June I encountered:

* a crazy pop-up thunderstorm at DFW, that caused all kinds of delays. when I saw my connecting flight leaving as mine pulled up, I called the Plat line and was put on the next flight. after I got to that gate, the gate agent was telling people to go to customer service (which would have taken at least an hour) or to the gate for the following flight.

* plane was being pushed back at DFW when the luggage truck hit it I called the Plat line as I was walking off; they couldn't yet move me to another flight since mine hadn't yet been canceled. but they did protect me on one, and I was one of the few who managed to get on that one (most pax were on hours later)

If you're flying paid F, perhaps the airline would take care of you even if you don't have status. But if you're buying the cheapest coach fare, then you're on your own.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:15 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Happy

Of course being lifetime AA golds help to less the pain when flying AA domestic coach, just for the benefit of better seat selection T-24, free same day standby, and the Group 1 boarding. We dont have checked bags so that part is irrelevant. Frankly anyone has the right credit card would have all the above benefits, sans the free same day standby.

Which credit card for the group 1 boarding for credit card holders?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
One thing that I've found especially helpful with status has been the experience during IRROPS.

During 2 trips in June I encountered:

* a crazy pop-up thunderstorm at DFW, that caused all kinds of delays. when I saw my connecting flight leaving as mine pulled up, I called the Plat line and was put on the next flight. after I got to that gate, the gate agent was telling people to go to customer service (which would have taken at least an hour) or to the gate for the following flight.

* plane was being pushed back at DFW when the luggage truck hit it I called the Plat line as I was walking off; they couldn't yet move me to another flight since mine hadn't yet been canceled. but they did protect me on one, and I was one of the few who managed to get on that one (most pax were on hours later)
I think what you are missing is that by staying with AA you are being forced to transit through a nightmarish hub like DFW, which most of the time really sucks when it comes to wx. Change airlines and: problem gone!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by GaryZ
I think what you are missing is that by staying with AA you are being forced to transit through a nightmarish hub like DFW, which most of the time really sucks when it comes to wx.
Bit hyperbolic to say that most flights via DFW have problems with weather, no?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by knit-in
Now, unless a deal stares me in the face, I make it a point to burn miles rather than cash.
Same.

On-time failures are why I dumped UA three years ago. I've never experienced so many delayed/cxld flights as I have this year on AA, even at UA's worst post-merger.

After the next six weeks of hell-travel are over I think I'm done with loyalty. I miss NW WorldPerks. Of all the FF programs in this lifetime, that was the best.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Bit hyperbolic to say that most flights via DFW have problems with weather, no?
Yes.

It's really DCA.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
Which credit card for the group 1 boarding for credit card holders?
The Group 1 I referred to was the old name before AA changed the classification. Old Group 1 is now Group 5 but essentially it is still the same order as in the past.

Either Citi or Barclays AAdvantage card gives this benefit.

Essentially all the benefits Gold have, can be had by just owning the credit card, except the free same day standby, and the 500 miles sticker upgrade...

While GLD's benefits have been reduced by almost nothing, personally I feel the PLATs suffer much more on benefit cuts. To add insult to the injury, Plat has to put in twice as much butt in seat miles to achieve the status than Gld. Sure OWS gets lounge access when flying international OneWorld flight but these days there are many ways to access lounges without having to fly international... so that benefit has less value also.

That is yet another evidence why stay loyal to an FFP no longer makes much sense.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by GaryZ
I think what you are missing is that by staying with AA you are being forced to transit through a nightmarish hub like DFW, which most of the time really sucks when it comes to wx. Change airlines and: problem gone!
In a little over a year, I've had 2 issues with DFW. One was weather, the other was a freak what I'd call mechanical (how often does a luggage truck hit a plane?).

I've had much much worse weather issues at CLT and PHL before the merger (I'm a HP/US person). I can't recall a single weather issue at I've run into at PHX.

But as noted, weather can happen anywhere. I have co-workers in MSP who constantly complain about weather issues there, which directly impact DL. They also complain about ATL. And I'm sure if we head over to the UA forum, we'd find issues at IAD...
Anywhere can have weather issues.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
In a little over a year, I've had 2 issues with DFW. One was weather, the other was a freak what I'd call mechanical (how often does a luggage truck hit a plane?).

I've had much much worse weather issues at CLT and PHL before the merger (I'm a HP/US person). I can't recall a single weather issue at I've run into at PHX.

But as noted, weather can happen anywhere. I have co-workers in MSP who constantly complain about weather issues there, which directly impact DL. They also complain about ATL. And I'm sure if we head over to the UA forum, we'd find issues at IAD...
Anywhere can have weather issues.
I believe the point is, why bother transiting at a hub at all when one can cut out the hub entirely and just go from destination to origin nonstop?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What is the frequency of such events ?

If there is a cancellation/long delay, unlike AA from US, there would be (at current exchange rates) $705 compensation for the delay/cancellation as well as entitlement to a refund of the fare if not wanting to wait

Also, of course, regardless of delay reason, the airline has to provide food/drinks and pay for accommodation if there is an overnight delay ( and choose not to cancel ) regardless of the reason for the delay

Much better protection that AA offers
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The reply was in response to the comment regarding use of Norwegian Premium economy - where these protections exist
And how many interline agreements and alliance partners does Norwegian have? And many alternate routing options does it offer if a flight is cancelled or severely delayed?

If I am travelling on business or for a personal event that I need to be at, the EU261 protections you are referring to aren't really the type of protections I am looking for: options to get my destination as close to schedule as possible.

In other words this:

I would go further and say that airlines like Norwegian are completely out of bounds for business and time sensitive travel. For that, I want a network carrier with the redundancies and partner backups that comes with it.

Originally Posted by cmd320
I believe the point is, why bother transiting at a hub at all when one can cut out the hub entirely and just go from destination to origin nonstop?
Because if the O/D flight is only 2x a week (like Norweigian will be from my home airport and many others) or 1x a day (like many NK and G4 routes); there's no backup or alternate options when things go pear-shaped. If my hub connection through DFW is messed up - decent chance AA can re-route me through another hub. No such luck on many LCCs.

Don't get me wrong: these carriers have their purpose - but reliable business travel is not one of them

Last edited by bse118; Jul 29, 2017 at 6:45 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
Because if the O/D flight is only 2x a week (like Norweigian from my home airport and many others) or 1x a day (like many NK and G4 routes); there's no backup or alternate options when things go pear-shaped. If my hub connection through DFW is messed up - decent change AA can re-route me through another hub. No such luck on many LCCs.

Don't get me wrong: these carriers have their purpose - but reliable business travel is not one of them
Sure there is, cancel/refund. Re-book with another option.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
Sure there is, cancel/refund. Re-book with another option.
Hah. Sure cancelling/refunding an advanced purchase lowest Y fare on a Norwegian TATL will cover the cost of a last-minute walk-up TATL fare on another carrier.

Let's be charitable and say that suggestion has extremely limited utility.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
I would go further and say that airlines like Norwegian are completely out of bounds for business and time sensitive travel.
That might be a bit extreme; as with any business decision, the costs and benefits should be weighed accordingly. When mainline carriers are charging 3x Norwegian's fare, I don't have much choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.