Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I finally ended my loyalty to AA and I love it....

I finally ended my loyalty to AA and I love it....

Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kb9522
People selecting carriers almost entirely on the basis of price only perpetuates the race to the bottom. Good job contributing to the problem.
Selecting based on schedule, price and quality rather than being a slave to a scheme is more likely, imo, to lead to better quality where an airline has to compete based on these items rather than being able to rely on an FF programme
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by Happy
Can't believe in this days and age there are still people think they have to fly a certain airline in order for them to earn enough miles to redeem international awad.... So outdated.
Not everyone wants to apply for dozens of credit cards, launder gift cards, and/or stand in line at Walmart.

Plus, many here get more miles than they need just from flying American on OPM (other people's money). That will never grow old.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Selecting based on schedule, price and quality rather than being a slave to a scheme is more likely, imo, to lead to better quality where an airline has to compete based on these items rather than being able to rely on an FF programme
Except they're only competing on one of those things. Because it's all people care about. I know this because... Sun Country. I mean, really?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
Not everyone wants to apply for dozens of credit cards, launder gift cards, and/or stand in line at Walmart.

Plus, many here get more miles than they need just from flying American on OPM (other people's money). That will never grow old.
True, those who fly on companies dimes are different. But even them, should rethink about where to credit their butt in seat miles.

For the rest of us who dont have an expense account, we do not necessary need to apply many credit cards nor buy many gift cards.

If you have enough spend, you earn miles much faster than flying. With the constant sale of miles from all programs, you literally can pick and choose which one works the best for your immediate needs, especially if you think outside the US3. Seriously I dont see other than flying with OPM, why would anyone not be price-sensitive when taking into account of price/schedule/product combined.

The days of mileage run to earn status and cheap miles are long gone. So is the concept of "loyalty".

Last edited by Happy; Jul 27, 2017 at 9:03 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austin787
Used to be loyal to AA, and had status for the last 10 years. When booking a flight, as long as I'm comfortable with AA's price I don't look at the other airlines. I would even take a connecting itinerary on AA over a non-stop on a competitor.

Devaluation of AAdvantage and cuts in the onboard product have made AA no better than its competitors (and in some ways AA is arguably worse), so no incentive to stick with AA. Being a free agent is a wonderful thing - I focus on convenience, product, and price and book the airline that offers the best combination of those things.
Exactly.

For years I ignore Delta with the perception Delta peso is not worth anything despite Delta actually has much more convenient flights and comparable prices, sometimes even cheaper than AA's for places I need to go.

Then 2.5 years ago I actually discovered Skypeso was not nearly as bad as perceived, and actually much better than AA's miles when I was trying to find award seats to LHR without having to pay the BA scam fee. I was able to find VS availability almost everyday in the peak of travel period between June and August at Saver price! What a shocking discovery! Sure, DL wanted 65K? at that time versus AA's 50K but if there is no seat, what good is the cheaper price?! You cannot buy anything with it...

Being a free agent is definitely a wonderful thing.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:05 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
While it is good there is a local competitor on the MSP-DFW route, think on how many other routes your choice is limited to US3 (plus possibly WN). With limited competition US domestic market is a paradise for US3 - very often they can change whatever they want.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
While it is good there is a local competitor on the MSP-DFW route, think on how many other routes your choice is limited to US3 (plus possibly WN). With limited competition US domestic market is a paradise for US3 - very often they can change whatever they want.
Indeed, but it is also unlikely that all options will be the same price ; what might be the best choice for 1 journey may well not be the best for another
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:15 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I always check GF and other sites for the alternatives. Of course, being in BKK opens up a multitude of options, and I haven't had to fly AA except to burn the SWU's plus for the few domestic segments I need. Usually do AA for HKG-LAX RT for $546, though next March I do have the HKG-LAX-JFK for about the same price. Travel midweek so 100% UPG's so far, except on JFK-SFO recently or a same day standby-try that on your UA BE. However, I find that, for where I need to go domestically, AA is still the best and lowest fare option, without those nasty BE fares. LAX-ORD RT $100, LAX-DEN one way $59; DEN-LAX-SFO $99 LAX-DENxDEN-JAX for $168 one way. Full benefits and good UPG chances since I'm over 18k EQD's. And, cheaper than Frontier or UA BE's. Plus, this was the cheapest requalification ever and great flights, especially the QR business class at $1500 RT for BKK-DOH-LAX. So much better than all the AA metal when I lived in China, and had to use ex-YYZ fares most of the time, then AA changed their sched and put mostly A319's out of YYZ. A terrible plane and I see their using it for YYZ-LAX now.

And, the QR RT generated 51k RDM's instead of 11 miles/$, apx 15k, if AA metal. My $5k total spend this year will generate apx 190K AA and 24k OZ miles. Seems just like a usual year, only better.

Don't know what I would do if I was a working stiff in the US, but then been there, done that. Reposition.

Also, since I'm requalified so early, can try other long haul J products. OS business class trip coming up in Sept BKK-VIE-LAX RT for $2200 with a stopover for 2+ weeks in Europe. Probably could have done it cheaper with some PE fares, but not much of a cost difference, big difference in comfort.

So, I agree, loyalty to any airline merely for it's frequent flyer program is misplaced. They need to earn my loyalty all over again.

Last edited by rbAA; Jul 27, 2017 at 10:24 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
I gave up on chasing status a few years ago. Discounted J/F fares are readily available from many carriers and I don't have to stress about whether an upgrade will clear. So I guess I'm contributing to the race to the bottom on premium cabins. Sorry for that and if I prevent someone with status from being upgraded but I'm just playing by the ever changing rules.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by rayfes
I gave up on chasing status a few years ago. Discounted J/F fares are readily available from many carriers and I don't have to stress about whether an upgrade will clear. So I guess I'm contributing to the race to the bottom on premium cabins. Sorry for that and if I prevent someone with status from being upgraded but I'm just playing by the ever changing rules.
I don't see that you are contributing to a race to the bottom - au contraire - you are helping to contribute to a position where the airline has to work for the custom provide a decent quality, rather than just rely on someone being a FF captive
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i am going to make exe plat again. thinking if it is worth to requalify next year. as i have 26 J segments on oneworld. if i fly cx and credit to aa, i earn 245% miles vs 350% when i credit to as. as miles worth 40% or 50% more than aa, so i am getting 50% value less whenever i credit jl, cx, qa, to aa.

so i am paying real opportunity cost when i try to requalify aa exec plat. (this year, i credit all.qr flights to aa and non qr to as, so i am not paying the opportunity cost)
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Using GPU from United

I live between Mel and yyc so the 6 GPU per year allow me to fly family 6 legs on economy W fares and ride in business. It works for this scenario to be loyal to one airline.

I don't fly too many short flights so the accumulated savings from discount would not cover the say $20K I get from the 6 GPU

Just 2 cents for long haul flyers, that being said, the GPU advantage does not get used by me so if I didn't have them I would just have grumpy family!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
do u clear w fare upgrade 100%?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
True, those who fly on companies dimes are different. But even them, should rethink about where to credit their butt in seat miles.

For the rest of us who dont have an expense account, we do not necessary need to apply many credit cards nor buy many gift cards.

If you have enough spend, you earn miles much faster than flying. With the constant sale of miles from all programs, you literally can pick and choose which one works the best for your immediate needs, especially if you think outside the US3. Seriously I dont see other than flying with OPM, why would anyone not be price-sensitive when taking into account of price/schedule/product combined.

The days of mileage run to earn status and cheap miles are long gone. So is the concept of "loyalty".
Pretty clear that poster was including manufactured spend in their list of boring time sinks. Or perhaps the reference to standing in line at Walmart was lost on you? I think the point was that mindlessly chasing after and being obsessed with 'da points' is not really any better than mindlessly chasing after status.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by CUSO
I gave up my Platinum on AA this year and have had nothing but good experience... I am currently sitting in MSP waiting for my flight back to DFW. I cant believe I chased so long. Now I have 1.5 million advantage miles that I plan to keep and milk for a few years, but paying for AA fare is over. Devaluation, and 0 initiative to keep customers did it for me. Grand scheme, it probably wont matter. This trip I decided to take Sun Country... I could not have had a better experience, and I am pretty hard to impress. AA wanted $550 for coach round trip Sun Country wanted $235 and this includes and exit row seat. If I were from Minneapolis I would use them exclusively. Nice clean plane, friendliest FA's I ever met. Makes me wonder what other sleeper airlines I have missed out on. Anyone else done this or planning too?
"I switched to Geico and saved"

These stories are awe inspiring. I am so proud of you, we knew you could do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.