FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Cost of a free upgrade (offered "free" upgrades, e500 "sticker" removed) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1856945-cost-free-upgrade-offered-free-upgrades-e500-sticker-removed.html)

EQDsSUCK Jul 27, 2017 10:06 am

Cost of a free upgrade (offered "free" upgrades, e500 "sticker" removed)

When checking in for Honduras to Miami flight as aa plat I was asked if I wanted to be upgraded. Ticket agent said it would be free. Later I noticed that American took stickers for it. What gives? this was at the ticket counter. Has this happened to others?

arollins Jul 27, 2017 10:58 am

The only free upgrades are on flights under 500 miles, and it involves all elites. As a PLT you have to use E500 stickers for flights over 500 miles, perhaps the TA meant free as in no $ cost to you.

CPRich Jul 27, 2017 11:06 am

Happened to me one too. "We have space available up front, would you like to sit there"? Of course. Surprise, 1-way upgrades disappeared. This was soon after the merger and I was used to US rules. I guess I learned the same lesson then.

andersonCooper Jul 27, 2017 12:01 pm

Same. When I was PLT and on an IROPS situation, the call center lady was like "oh I'll put you for upgrade without charging". Upgrade cleared and 5 stickers gone.

GNRMatt Jul 27, 2017 12:30 pm

I'd contact AA and tell them that you were given false information by the agent. They told you it was free. They did not tell you stickers would be used and you would simply like the stickers to be credited back to your account. I'd also add a suggestion that they train their agents to properly inform customers when they will be taking stickers out of their account.

coolcoil Jul 27, 2017 2:12 pm

This is a common event and there are other threads on it. It's happened to me twice. An email with an explanation got my stickers back both times. It takes about a week from when you send in the request.

EQDsSUCK Jul 27, 2017 2:34 pm

I did get stickers back. Just wondered if happened to others.

arollins Jul 27, 2017 3:00 pm

I guess the theme here is when one is offered this "free" upgrade, is to ask if this is indeed a complimentary upgrade, or if it will cost me stickers. Too bad agents are not very clear when doing op-ups, as I myself have been a victim of this as well. I also emailed to AA and received my stickers back.

ACSBill Jul 27, 2017 5:56 pm

To play a bit of devil's advocate here...If you would have known the "free upgrade" was going to pull stickers, would you have still done it? Guess what I'm getting at is it the pulling of the stickers for the upgrade or not being told it was going to happen that is the issue?

nutwpinut Jul 28, 2017 6:50 am

Originally Posted by ACSBill (Post 28617017)
To play a bit of devil's advocate here...If you would have known the "free upgrade" was going to pull stickers, would you have still done it? Guess what I'm getting at is it the pulling of the stickers for the upgrade or not being told it was going to happen that is the issue?

It depends. Do I have a MCE seat at the window or aisle? How long is the flight? Will there be a meal in FC? I don't remember ever requesting an upgrade with stickers when I was plat/gold for a few years. I always had a decent seat and was well fed at the airport.

sbm12 Jul 28, 2017 8:31 am

Much like the "free" tickets that one books using points these "free" upgrades come from redeeming e500s. ;)

Redeemed Jul 28, 2017 10:03 am

Happened to me too. I was on an award ticket and was upgraded due to oversell in economy cabin. A few weeks later noticed that upgrade stickers were removed from my account for the date of that flight. Called in and agent said wasn't supposed to happen as it was an award flight. They stickers were replaced a few days later.

coolcoil Jul 29, 2017 4:04 am

Originally Posted by ACSBill (Post 28617017)

If was willing to pay stickers for an upgrade, I would have applied for an uprade. I'm not spending $80 to move from exit aisle to bulkhead F on an A319 flying MIA-ATL.

DataPlumber Jul 29, 2017 6:45 am

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK (Post 28616300)
I did get stickers back. Just wondered if happened to others.

Just wondered if you tried the search feature?