Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Crazy AA award flight and connection times (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson

Hi friends,

I will be using my AA miles for a Boston to Cape Town trip. Due to flight availability, the only routing available to me is BOS-JFK-DOH-JNB-CPT. It will all be OneWorld alliance partners (AA, QR, QR, BA).

Two questions:

1) Will I be protected on all flights if there is a delay? Most concerned with the JFK-DOH-JNB flight as there is a 45 min connection there. Also, the JNB-CPT flight, I need to figure out if I can get away with a 1h15m layover, or if I should do the 2h15m layover.

2) Any issues you see with this routing, etc?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I assume bos-lhr-cpt is the most preferred routing. What class? I agree that's a crazy routing. You'll be half dead by the time you get to Cape Town!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
1) Will I be protected on all flights if there is a delay?
There's a long-standing industry convention on that: the carrier delivering you late to a connecting point is responsible for rebooking you through to your destination.

That's doesn't mean every routing is a sensible routing, but with a single ticket you are protected.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by enviroian
I assume bos-lhr-cpt is the most preferred routing. What class? I agree that's a crazy routing. You'll be half dead by the time you get to Cape Town!
Correct, but with BA fuel charges, I originally booked BOS-DOH-CPT. But that routing is not longer available on my new dates.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There's a long-standing industry convention on that: the carrier delivering you late to a connecting point is responsible for rebooking you through to your destination.

That doesn't mean every routing is a sensible routing, but with a single ticket, you are protected.
So this means that if I miss my flight in DOH, they will put me on the next available flight to CPT? I just want to avoid a situation where I arrive in DOH, miss the 45 min connection. Am and told that it is AA's problem since it is an AA award ticket, and then never make it.

Last edited by BostonFlyer1624; Jul 26, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Correct, but with BA fuel charges, I originally booked BOS-DOH-CPT. But that routing is not longer available on my new dates.

So this means that if I miss my flight in DOH, they will put me on the next available flight to CPT? I just want to avoid a situation where I arrive in DOH, miss the 45 min connection. Am and told that it is AA's problem since it is an AA award ticket, and then never make it.
Regardless of whose ticket it is, QR will put you on the next flight with seat availability to CPT. Don't worry.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
One way or another you will arrive at the desired destination with one ticket. The missed connection may result in a 1 hour delay or a 1 day delay. Award travel is synonymous with crazy routing. I often book award travel with crazy routing with the expectation of even more crazy routing due to short connection times. The better option for economy award travel is not short connection times. For business and first award travel the connecting airline will often meet the passenger(s) and provide assistance.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Am and told that it is AA's problem since it is an AA award ticket, and then never make it.
The carrier delivering you late to a connecting point is responsible for rebooking you through to your destination. There's no plainer way to state this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.