Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How do I make / making AA Concierge Key / ConciergeKey / CK? (master thread

How do I make / making AA Concierge Key / ConciergeKey / CK? (master thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 4, 19, 9:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
How Can I Achieve ConciergeKeySM / "CK" Program
(Concierge Key is by invitation only)

NOTE: For issues relating to services provision for CK members, changes in offerings and all other issues pertaining to current Concierge Key / CK / KEY members, please see AA Concierge Key / ConciergeKey / CK members (master thread) thread

"The ConciergeKey Program is an exclusive program that American Airlines has for our very top customers. This is by invitation only and a very exclusive club." (Billy Sanez for AA) You can not apply for CK; you must be nominated and invited. According to member Gino Troian, reviews and decisions ~July, December.

ConciergeKey Services are provided to a select group of VIPs to facilitate travel on AA. The program is offered on an invitation basis only and is targeted at customers who control travel policy for large organizations. Customers who generate a high amount of revenue for AA may also be invited into this program (possibly those who spend upwards of US$60k a year on travel with AA).

Possible ways to gain CK, remembering that as the criteria are not published this is somewhat speculative, based on having several CKs posting here and some members knowing several CKs (in no particular order):
  • Arranger of travel with corporate travel contract with AA
  • Influencer of travel with Fortune 1,000
  • True VIP with significant recognition within an industry or profession
  • Air Pass with $60,000 or more prepaid travel
  • VFF EXP with high EQD ($75k?) and many high fare flights p.a. on AA
  • Nominated by "sales" at AA (may dovetail with immediately above)
  • Be sent a targeted "challenge" by AA instead of an invitation (see below)
According to Emily McNutt of The Points Guy, July 19, 2017 (link), AA has selected some high achievers to send a "challenge" type of CK invitation (offer closed 21 Jul 2017).

The offer required the invitee to earn 16,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) on AA marketed or operated flights within the next 90 days in order to get Concierge Key status; successful completion receive Concierge Key through January 2019.

"According to one FlyerTalk user who was targeted, they have 65,000 EQDs (54,000 on AA-operated flights) and 223,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)." We don't know if AA will make this offer in the future.

SERVICES: Services provided include airport escorts, Cadillac apron or golf cart transfers, pre-boarding (seems variable, more likely during OSO?); assistance with flight changes, seat changes, and upgrade requests via their own dedicated telephone line. In addition, there is the ability to communicate directly with ConciergeKey associates via a dedicated email address. ConciergeKeySM representatives will also monitor day of travel of ConciergeKey members and will proactively reroute or rebook travel when necessary. ConciergeKey status allows check-in at First Class counters, as well as access to elite lines through security at certain airports. Miles and copay upgrades with copay waived. CK are First in upgrade and reaccommodation Priority, over EP.

ConciergeKey members receive AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, membership to the Admirals Club, international miles upgrades with copayment waived, as well as two additional System-Wide Upgrades (SWU's) as part of CK membership. (From our FlyerGuide AA Wiki page)


CK members have access to Flagship Check-in on any flight. It has been said unofficially CK will have Flagship Lounge access when flying.

As of 1 Jan 2017, Concierge Key members have upgrade requests prioritized over all other tiers: CK members have an upgrade window of (up to) 120 hours (Executive Platinum member's will retain the 100 hour upgrade window). CK members are pre-boarded ahead of other passengers.

Regarding Concierge Key tier benefits coming in 2017, please see: New Concierge Key Benefits for 2017: New CK Elite Status Tier

Boarding Area's AAdvantageGeek's blog shows the card and documents here.

Previous threads:
ConciergeKey AA Premium Service (ARCHIVED)
ARCHIVED: AA Concierge Key / ConciergeKey / CK (2014 consolidated)

Updated 25 Jul 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 4, 17, 12:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 246
Annual spend

Does anyone know if the annual spend estimate (e.g. $60K) for CK invitation is based on tickets for an individual or total spend? I spend quite a bit of money flying my family around on vacation relative to my own individual spend on AA, thanks.
zeke320 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 17, 1:50 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: BNA
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, UA Silver, Marriot Plat
Posts: 764
Originally Posted by zeke320 View Post
Does anyone know if the annual spend estimate (e.g. $60K) for CK invitation is based on tickets for an individual or total spend? I spend quite a bit of money flying my family around on vacation relative to my own individual spend on AA, thanks.
Highly unlikely that family spend would move the needle enough to influence CK status determination.
oysterhead43 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 17, 8:35 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SJC/SFO (previously BNE, SIN, SHA/PVG)
Programs: UA GS, Marriott TE, National EE, Hertz PC, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
Posts: 161
I'm global services with UA. Will probably spend about $100k this year out of SFO so may have a chance to get UA/GS and AA/CK if I decide to diversify. Two questions:
- does CK only count AA metal PQD or includes codeshares? I fly between US and Australia in business class quarterly and see a lot of QF flights with AA codeshare
- anyone ever successfully pulled off a status match from GS to CK?
unitedhandcuffs is offline  
Old Jan 5, 17, 9:04 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,615
Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs View Post
- does CK only count AA metal PQD or includes codeshares? I fly between US and Australia in business class quarterly and see a lot of QF flights with AA codeshare
As far as I know and as a long time CK AA has not chosen to publically disclose the details of CK selection.
millionmiler is offline  
Old Jan 5, 17, 10:22 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: LAS/DXB
Programs: AA CK, EK Platinum
Posts: 944
Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs View Post
- anyone ever successfully pulled off a status match from GS to CK?
A direct status match, no definitely never heard of that. But if you travel routine has earned you GS status, I'd get in touch with an AA representative. There might be interest if the number of $$ spending you've mentioned is close to be accurate.
ckx2 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 17, 8:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK, Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by Elbowrm View Post
Got it for the first time today! 212 EQM on 95 segments.

Good for you. Me ; 370k EQM - $55k spend and all in J and F. 2015 was $63k. Selection criteria now that formalized needs to be published. Moot point for me as moved all biz to CX next year as AA have a demonstrated inability to offer a relaible ex US to HKG service, regardless of DFW or LAX departure points.

Anddddd - I'll let 18 2016 SWU expire and 8 for 2017. They are worthless. I'd rather book J in advance and save, versus a SWU going down to 30 minutes before departure and not clearing. Then having to book last minute J. SWU = system wide unpromised. Agree was never promised but how are they ever a benefit when so scarce. Kudos CX for bailing me on AA fails in 2016
flyerbobflyer likes this.

Last edited by prw555; Jan 5, 17 at 9:16 pm
prw555 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 17, 9:15 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: DFW
Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by prw555 View Post
Good for you. Me ; 370k EQM - $55k spend and all in J and F. 2015 was $63k. Selection criteria now that formalized needs to be published. Moot point for me as moved all biz to CX next year as AA have a demonstrated inability to offer a relaible ex US to HKG service, regardless of DFW or LAX departure points.

Anddddd - I'll let 18 2016 SWU expire and 8 for 2017. They are worthless. I'd rather book J in advance and save, versus a SWU going down to 30 minutes before departure and not clearing. Then having to book last minute J. SWU = system wide unpromised. Agree was never promised but how are they ever a benefit when so scarce. Kudos CX for bailing me on AA fails in 2016
No offense, but I can understand why you aren't getting CK. Everyone talks about high EQMs being a good thing. I say otherwise; low EQM and high spend is better. I know this gets confusing with the way EQM is calculated now that EQP isn't around, so perhaps segments would be a better example and actual miles rather then EQM. With that disclaimer out of the way, I'll issue a fairly hazy example of my thought process (knowing it's not 100% accurate):

I had 124k EQM and ~$50k spend and I still got issued a challenge. Think about it, that's 2.48EQM/penny. Your ratio is 6.72EQM/penny. That means you are 2.7x more expensive than I am even though we have to figure in the way EQM are calculated.

In other words, AA's profit/margin calculation is more complex like has been stated on this thread multiple times.
ttusqrl is offline  
Old Jan 6, 17, 10:12 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: PHL
Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by ttusqrl View Post
I had 124k EQM and ~$50k spend and I still got issued a challenge. Think about it, that's 2.48EQM/penny. Your ratio is 6.72EQM/penny. That means you are 2.7x more expensive than I am even though we have to figure in the way EQM are calculated.

In other words, AA's profit/margin calculation is more complex like has been stated on this thread multiple times.
Not exactly--I didn't track spend, but I had 272k EQMs on 80 segments. But almost all of that in paid J/F. About 80% AA, but almost all Int'l on partners. But without knowing the full breakdown of J/F segs vs Y you can't calculate profitability for AA.

And no CK for me
jdanton is offline  
Old Jan 6, 17, 12:12 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Programs: AA Concierge Key, Star Alliance Gold, Ritz Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 15
agreed

Originally Posted by ttusqrl View Post
No offense, but I can understand why you aren't getting CK. Everyone talks about high EQMs being a good thing. I say otherwise; low EQM and high spend is better. I know this gets confusing with the way EQM is calculated now that EQP isn't around, so perhaps segments would be a better example and actual miles rather then EQM. With that disclaimer out of the way, I'll issue a fairly hazy example of my thought process (knowing it's not 100% accurate):

I had 124k EQM and ~$50k spend and I still got issued a challenge. Think about it, that's 2.48EQM/penny. Your ratio is 6.72EQM/penny. That means you are 2.7x more expensive than I am even though we have to figure in the way EQM are calculated.

In other words, AA's profit/margin calculation is more complex like has been stated on this thread multiple times.


I totally agree with ttusgrl - when it comes down to CK, it's all about one word: profitability. I have had CK for many years now, and my EQM is definitely under 150k and my EQS is much lower than most of people here, but when I fly (both international and domestic) I pretty much book all refundable first class tickets.

370K EQM with 55k spending is definitely too little spending for that many miles.

Also - i am certain that paid tickets on partner airlines don't count as much

just my take
Rinzfish is offline  
Old Jan 6, 17, 1:18 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,654
Originally Posted by ttusqrl View Post
No offense, but I can understand why you aren't getting CK. Everyone talks about high EQMs being a good thing. I say otherwise; low EQM and high spend is better. I know this gets confusing with the way EQM is calculated now that EQP isn't around, so perhaps segments would be a better example and actual miles rather then EQM. With that disclaimer out of the way, I'll issue a fairly hazy example of my thought process (knowing it's not 100% accurate):

I had 124k EQM and ~$50k spend and I still got issued a challenge. Think about it, that's 2.48EQM/penny. Your ratio is 6.72EQM/penny. That means you are 2.7x more expensive than I am even though we have to figure in the way EQM are calculated.

In other words, AA's profit/margin calculation is more complex like has been stated on this thread multiple times.
Originally Posted by Rinzfish View Post
I totally agree with ttusgrl - when it comes down to CK, it's all about one word: profitability. I have had CK for many years now, and my EQM is definitely under 150k and my EQS is much lower than most of people here, but when I fly (both international and domestic) I pretty much book all refundable first class tickets.

370K EQM with 55k spending is definitely too little spending for that many miles.

Also - i am certain that paid tickets on partner airlines don't count as much

just my take
You're both correct.

And while this is -not- the formula for member profitability, it hints at it obliquely; one could more accurately figure out where one "fits" in the hierarchy vs. a co-worker or whatever by calculating how much they spent for the year divided by # of miles flown, except then expressed as a 3-4 figure number, ie. "moderately profitable = $500"

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 6, 17 at 1:26 pm
JonNYC is offline  
Old Jan 6, 17, 2:59 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Posts: 18,192
Originally Posted by prw555 View Post
Good for you. Me ; 370k EQM - $55k spend and all in J and F. 2015 was $63k. Selection criteria now that formalized needs to be published. Moot point for me as moved all biz to CX next year as AA have a demonstrated inability to offer a relaible ex US to HKG service, regardless of DFW or LAX departure points.

Anddddd - I'll let 18 2016 SWU expire and 8 for 2017. They are worthless.
At a rough guess given that miles in J/F I'd assume you'd probably earn BA Gold Guest List. 5000 tier points in one year where you earn as follows for travel on AA:
-40 tier points for AA J/F below 2000 miles
-140 tier points for AA J/two class F above 2000 miles
-210 tier points for AA longhaul/transcon in F.

GGLs get sporadic/regular CK treatment at airports depending upon luck (a lot more than EXPs get though! ) and while there are no SWUs you don't use them. You do get "Jokers" allowing you to book anytime as long as a revenue seat is being sold (a few caveats there) for regular mileage levels. Sure there are a lot of other benefits CK get that GGL doesn't but I don't know how many regular AA users are aware of it...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rd-ba-ggl.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...r-s-guide.html
Fraser is online now  
Old Jan 6, 17, 7:59 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK, Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
At a rough guess given that miles in J/F I'd assume you'd probably earn BA Gold Guest List. 5000 tier points in one year where you earn as follows for travel on AA:
-40 tier points for AA J/F below 2000 miles
-140 tier points for AA J/two class F above 2000 miles
-210 tier points for AA longhaul/transcon in F.

GGLs get sporadic/regular CK treatment at airports depending upon luck (a lot more than EXPs get though! ) and while there are no SWUs you don't use them. You do get "Jokers" allowing you to book anytime as long as a revenue seat is being sold (a few caveats there) for regular mileage levels. Sure there are a lot of other benefits CK get that GGL doesn't but I don't know how many regular AA users are aware of it...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rd-ba-ggl.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...r-s-guide.html
Interesting, I'll explore. Never taken a BA flight in my life. Club World hard product sucks, plus I'm US based so have no reason to use an EU carrier. For time being all business moved to CX and will qualify for Diamond by May and in meantime using legacy AA emerald status for lounge benefits (Pier first) in HKG.
prw555 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 17, 3:07 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: DFW
Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Posts: 490
Glad I'm not crazy. Also interesting to see that disclaimers to generally vague metrics don't necessarily work in this forum
ttusqrl is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 4:03 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SJC/SFO (previously BNE, SIN, SHA/PVG)
Programs: UA GS, Marriott TE, National EE, Hertz PC, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
Posts: 161
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
You're both correct.

And while this is -not- the formula for member profitability, it hints at it obliquely; one could more accurately figure out where one "fits" in the hierarchy vs. a co-worker or whatever by calculating how much they spent for the year divided by # of miles flown, except then expressed as a 3-4 figure number, ie. "moderately profitable = $500"
Jon, so if you had to guess at the CK criteria, what would it be? You seem the most knowledgeable here. Over on the UA message boards, the community seems a lot more sophisticated in their pursuit of this unknown criteria/formula with discussions on profitability metrics (CPM = cents per mile based off BIS miles) and location weighting (hubs needing more $s to get in top %), but when you log everyone's stats together you will always find outliers so the conclusion has ended after a few years back to 'spend more than $40k on UA metal flights and you may qualify for GS, more than $50k and you'll most likely qualify, more than $60k and you will qualify'. Any chance you could boil down CK criteria to something similar? Reason I ask is that i will spend ~$100k on flights this year so would be interested to diversify and attain both GS and CK, but not that interested to diversify and then have nothing to show for it due to misunderstanding the criteria.

Last edited by unitedhandcuffs; Jan 8, 17 at 4:45 am
unitedhandcuffs is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 7:40 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,654
Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs View Post
Jon, so if you had to guess at the CK criteria, what would it be? You seem the most knowledgeable here. Over on the UA message boards, the community seems a lot more sophisticated in their pursuit of this unknown criteria/formula with discussions on profitability metrics (CPM = cents per mile based off BIS miles) and location weighting (hubs needing more $s to get in top %), but when you log everyone's stats together you will always find outliers so the conclusion has ended after a few years back to 'spend more than $40k on UA metal flights and you may qualify for GS, more than $50k and you'll most likely qualify, more than $60k and you will qualify'. Any chance you could boil down CK criteria to something similar? Reason I ask is that i will spend ~$100k on flights this year so would be interested to diversify and attain both GS and CK, but not that interested to diversify and then have nothing to show for it due to misunderstanding the criteria.
The post of mine you quoted I'd humbly proffer is as close as you're going to get and as you can see, not determinable from overall spend.

As far as attaining (profitability-based) CK and GS at the same time, while I have no doubt a few have, I'd say to forget about that notion.
JonNYC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: