Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Scam: "AA Miles are Expiring-Call & Send Money" July 2017

Scam: "AA Miles are Expiring-Call & Send Money" July 2017

Old Jul 18, 17, 11:51 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Exclamation Scam: "AA Miles are Expiring-Call & Send Money" July 2017

This is a new one on me.

Neighbor just left after I told her it was a scam (thanks to FlyerTalk I am a local guru).

Neighbor had an urgent message about her American miles which would expire in four days. If she calls an 866 number she can pay $150 to stop the expiration. Otherwise could cost up to $900. Message states she has 105, 922 AA miles.

In fact, she has way more miles and regularly uses AA flights, most recently a week ago. Also has an Citi AA credit card in regular use. A check of her AA account online shows expiration of miles in November 2018.

Wonder how they got her number? Has there been a new data theft at Citi or AA? Or is this just dial at random and leave message and wait for some callbacks and credit card numbers?

Anyone else run into this scam or similar?
Old Jul 19, 17, 10:55 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
There was a post here within the past few weeks about people getting scam calls in relation to Citi AA cards they had just opened. Makes me wonder if Citi has an issue...
Old Jul 19, 17, 11:36 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
In these scams, it's not necessarily an advantage for them to have your inside info. They just dial randomly and tell you some arbitrary number of miles. It ensures only those who are easily duped will call back.
Old Jul 20, 17, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
There are Youtube channels from people who specialize in calling such numbers and dragging out the conversation by being spectacularly scatterbrained and/or clueless. Every minute a scammer wastes with such a person is a minute (and a line) not used to scam someone else. Just a thought.
Old Jul 20, 17, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post
This is a new one on me.

Neighbor just left after I told her it was a scam (thanks to FlyerTalk I am a local guru).

Neighbor had an urgent message about her American miles which would expire in four days. If she calls an 866 number she can pay $150 to stop the expiration. Otherwise could cost up to $900. Message states she has 105, 922 AA miles.

In fact, she has way more miles and regularly uses AA flights, most recently a week ago. Also has an Citi AA credit card in regular use. A check of her AA account online shows expiration of miles in November 2018.

Wonder how they got her number? Has there been a new data theft at Citi or AA? Or is this just dial at random and leave message and wait for some callbacks and credit card numbers?

Anyone else run into this scam or similar?
sending you a PM on this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: