Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Ticket 24 Hour Free Cancellation Policy & Hold as of Apr 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Passengers may cancel their tickets (for free) within 24 hours from the actual time of purchase if their travel is farther out than two days / 48 hours away, and get full refunds. This applies to nonrefundable tickets as well as refundable.

Refunds (2018) link

Q. If I cancel my trip within 24 hours of purchase, can I get a full refund?
A. You have up to 24 hours from the time of ticket purchase for a refund if you booked at least 2 days prior to departure. You must cancel your trip for a refund.

Refunds will be issued in full amounts, less:

Sale-imposed nonrefundable taxes
Service charge for booking through Reservations
The US Department of Transportation only requires airlines allow a 24 hour free hold or 24 hour refundability if the ticket is purchased seven days or more from departure. The refund is to be made to the original form of payment.

If you purchased your ticket from AA, your refund will be processed within seven days and will go be credited to the credit card you used to book. You may cancel online here, or by calling reservations.

The refund may take one or two billing cycles to reflect in your statement. If your purchase was made with cash or check, processing will take place within 20 days. If your purchase was through another vendor, you must cintsctbthst vendor to cancel and request a refund; other vendors may require additional fees, etc.

AA originally offered a 24-hour free hold option before purchasing tickets. but changed to a 24-hour cancellation policy in April 2016. (Award tickets may still be placed on free 24 hour hold, but not paid tickets.) AA 24 hour cancellation policy is now aligned to that of Delta, Southwest, United, etc. but is more liberal than the actual USDOT requirement.

Link to Time - Money article, 1 Apr 2017
Link to Gary Leff article in View from the Boarding Area, 24 May 2017
Link to The Points Guy article, 24 Jun 2017
Link to AA FAQ including cancellation, holds.

FAQ

Q. When AA says "24 hours from purchase", what does that mean?
You have 24 hours from the moment you purchased your ticket, regardless of where that was.

Q. Have AA done away with Holds?
Not entirely. Awards may be put on hold. In "select markets", and AA may offer free 24 hour hold if your travel is seven days or more after booking. Look the “hold” option on the review and pay page when you book an AA or codeshare flight on aa.com.

Q. Do AA still offer extended / seven day holds?
In "select markets" you may be offered the opportunity to hold a ticket marketed by AA and operated by AA or its American Eagle affiliates for up to seven days. There is a nonrefundable fee charged for this service. You can not make free changes to itineraries on extended hold.
Print Wikipost

AA Ticket 24 Hour Free Cancellation Policy & Hold as of Apr 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
If I book a fully refundable fare on an AA flight on say a Monday that departs on the same day I book it, and then later that same day I want to cancel that flight, can I do so and receive a full refund?
Originally Posted by JDiver
Not as I read it. As it states in the language from AA in the Wikipost, you may cancel within 24 hours of booking without penalty if your departure is two days or more from your booking.
But if it's truly a fully refundable fare then the 24-hr cancellation policy is irrelevant right?

Should be able to cancel and refund a fully refundable fare right up to scheduled departure tine.

(note: I never fly on refundable fares, so my knowledge is theoretical not applied)
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bse118
But if it's truly a fully refundable fare then the 24-hr cancellation policy is irrelevant right?

Should be able to cancel and refund a fully refundable fare right up to scheduled departure tine.

(note: I never fly on refundable fares, so my knowledge is theoretical not applied)
Yes, you are correct, as long as it is fully refundable without change fees.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:36 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
I booked a flight on 4/7 at 1am. I just called in and she said since it's still 4/8 (slightly past 24 hours) she would still be able to cancel it for a full refund.

However, after I ended the call with the CSR I never received any email confirmation regarding the refund. On AA.com, the status simply shows "this flight is cancelled."
Old May 8, 2018, 2:24 pm
formerly mattrendell27

so an AA Main Cabin Fully Flexible fare could be booked on one day and then later cancelled on the same day up until departure time with a full refund and no fees? Thanks
Old May 10, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
I had called AA to cancel 3 tickets less than 24 hours after purchase and the agent said a refund request was sent for all of them

When I check the status at prefunds.aa.com, I am taken to the page asking me to enter contact info and then submit a refund request.

Should I resubmit the requests online just in case?

I am a bit anxious as when I had called the help desk a second time for another reason and asked for the refunds just in case, the agent said the 1st agent had send 2 out of 3 requests and the 3rd one was stuck and I could do it myself (!)

So just debating if even after the agent has submitted a request, whether I should go to prefunds.aa.com and submit a refund request .....
Old May 10, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
I had called AA to cancel 3 tickets less than 24 hours after purchase and the agent said a refund request was sent for all of them

When I check the status at prefunds.aa.com, I am taken to the page asking me to enter contact info and then submit a refund request.

Should I resubmit the requests online just in case?

I am a bit anxious as when I had called the help desk a second time for another reason and asked for the refunds just in case, the agent said the 1st agent had send 2 out of 3 requests and the 3rd one was stuck and I could do it myself (!)

So just debating if even after the agent has submitted a request, whether I should go to prefunds.aa.com and submit a refund request .....
After being burned a couple of times this year already, I no longer trust the message about my refund being "processed automatically." Even when an agent claims to have done it, it's far from a guarantee. It's best to keep an eye on your credit card account to ensure the refund is properly processed, and there's certainly no harm in submitting the online form to give AA additional chances to get it right (it's just disappointing that this may be necessary).

This is really the only reason I ever consider using OTAs -- I've never had an issue getting a prompt 24 hour refund from, say, Expedia, but AA has been a different story, especially recently.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
so an AA Main Cabin Fully Flexible fare could be booked on one day and then later cancelled on the same day up until departure time with a full refund and no fees? Thanks
Most fully refundable fares can be canceled and refunded at ANY TIME. (Though not entirely sure if the ticket has expired-e.g., after 1 year).
But you must read the fare rules (under Penalties), and that's where it will say whether you need to cancel before departure. If it doesn't say that, then you don't need to.

If you book online there are no fees. If you book with an AAgent, the service fee is nonrefundable.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by SLV
I booked a flight on 4/7 at 1am. I just called in and she said since it's still 4/8 (slightly past 24 hours) she would still be able to cancel it for a full refund.

However, after I ended the call with the CSR I never received any email confirmation regarding the refund. On AA.com, the status simply shows "this flight is cancelled."
Same here: did not get any email confirmation. Then I called to doublecheck, the 2nd agent said 2 out of 3 were cancelled

Then i called a 3rd time, and this agent confirmed all 3 were cancelled.

What upsets me about the gray process is what confirmation is there that the cancellation was made within 24 hours?
Old May 11, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB

What upsets me about the gray process is what confirmation is there that the cancellation was made within 24 hours?
i just cancelled a ticket yesterday. They sent me an email with time of cancellation. I guess this is the proof.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:27 am

24 Hour Hold Refund - How long to money posts?

"After canceling a ticket within the 24 hour refund rules, how long before the refund posts to your credit card account?"

ANSWER IS IN THE WIKI.

Last edited by zznoname; Jul 6, 2018 at 12:11 am
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: BA
Surprised to see that there is indeed still a 24 hour hold option on my PHL-MAN revenue flights. Does this mean that there will NOT be a 24 hour cancellation if I actually choose to book it (regardless of whether or not I first hold it- since I was given the option to hold it)?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by wiivile
Surprised to see that there is indeed still a 24 hour hold option on my PHL-MAN revenue flights. Does this mean that there will NOT be a 24 hour cancellation if I actually choose to book it (regardless of whether or not I first hold it- since I was given the option to hold it)?
Both exist. The hold is slightly better because you generally have until 11:59PM the next day for the time zone of the departing flight, which could be up to an effective 48-hour hold, depending on the time you selected it. You do lose the flight if you forget to purchase (vs. forgetting to cancel a purchased flight)
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
Both exist. The hold is slightly better because you generally have until 11:59PM the next day for the time zone of the departing flight, which could be up to an effective 48-hour hold, depending on the time you selected it. You do lose the flight if you forget to purchase (vs. forgetting to cancel a purchased flight)
Yeah, but do I get the benefit of both or not? i.e., hold the flight, book it after e.g. "21 hours", then cancel it? Or does the presence of the hold option eliminate the 24 hour cancellation?

I agree the hold is better, as it's easier to keep stringing along holds if unwilling to commit and the fare stays the same (though unlikely the fare stays the same if you keep holding fares which could cause the pricing system to increase fares).

Last edited by wiivile; Sep 12, 2018 at 8:37 am
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by wiivile
Yeah, but do I get the benefit of both or not? i.e., hold the flight, book it after e.g. "21 hours", then cancel it? Or does the presence of the hold option eliminate the 24 hour cancellation?
Yes, they're stacakable. You can hold a reservation for a day 1, book it on day 2, and still cancel on day 3. (Note that unlike holds which last until midnight the following day, the 24 hour cancellation policy is really 24 hours from the time you click "Purchase".)

Technically speaking, AA isn't required to allow both, but there is nothing in the 24 hour refund policy that makes an exception for reservations that were previously on hold.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Curious if anyone has had success simply cancelling online and getting the 24-hour refund or is a call required?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.