Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Method: Fare - Exception Applies" Notation on Flight on my AA Account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist

I just had a flight credited to AAdvantage and the notation after Method: Fare piqued my interest. Has anyone ever seen this "exception applies" notation or know what it means?

I was credited the correct normal 2x EQM and right amount of EQD for that flight. Just was wondering what the "exception applies" means.

DFW - LHR
Jul 10, 2017 • AA 0050 • Business (R)
Posted: Jul 11, 2017
Method: Fare - exception applies

EQM 9,502
EQD 4,397
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I do see this is an old thread, but I’m curious as well, since I just had this happen and can’t find an answer anywhere.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT AAirpass, MR Plat Premier, SPG Gld, UA Silver
Exception fares

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is a table detailing special fares that earn as per distance - the situation that the OP is referring to is based on earning by fare paid
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The OP was ticketed in R, which is an upgraded business class code, maybe it has something to do with that, usually if I buy a ticket in O, and get upgraded to R, it still posts at O.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by donotblink
The OP was ticketed in R, which is an upgraded business class code, maybe it has something to do with that, usually if I buy a ticket in O, and get upgraded to R, it still posts at O.
But on long-haul flights like DFW-LHR, R is a normal business class fare bucket, not an upgrade.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Along the same lines, when does the "Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable" come into play? I don't think I have ever purchased such a fare?

Safe Travels
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Along the same lines, when does the "Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable" come into play?
One such situation is when you request mileage credit for a flight that didn't post, and they can't find evidence you took the flight (this recently happened to me, and I got fewer miles than I would have had the flight posted properly). It is also scary they had no record that I took the flight, but that's a separate issue.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Along the same lines, when does the "Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable" come into play? I don't think I have ever purchased such a fare?

Safe Travels
This happens occasionally in IRROPS situations...I've had a few occasions where a GA put me on a new flight when my first one was delayed or canceled, and those generally show up as "Method: Distance - Fare Unavailable" and also usually in the full Y fare bucket. That last part doesn't really matter as much anymore since Y no longer gets 1.5x EQM.

But note this isn't what the first posters in this thread are seeing. In the above situation it's a distance earning. They're seeing something that says exception, but the flight is crediting normally by fare paid. I've never seen that.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Safe Travels
I have seen AA sectors of an ATW ticket post in such a manner

I would suspect that many fares offered by another carrier which include sectors on AA would post in such a way
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Aegean (Gold) American (EP)
This happens to me when I book a ticket through thankyou.com using Citi points to pay for a ticket.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I had a fare post as fare unknown before, but it was a ticket that I redeemed a paper voucher, and then later called to upgrade one way to business. Somewhere in the middle of all that the fare basis got lost in the computer, so it posted based on distance, which worked out for me as it was a cheap ticket.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Resuscitating this one, as I just searched for “Distance - exception applies” and came across this.

I recently flew RDU-LHR on AA in D, and LHR-IST (on BA, with BA flight number) in J, all booked on AA.com. The LHR-IST segment posted as the above. Just trying to figure out what the “exception” actually is?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by razzaba
Resuscitating this one, as I just searched for “Distance - exception applies” and came across this.

I recently flew RDU-LHR on AA in D, and LHR-IST (on BA, with BA flight number) in J, all booked on AA.com. The LHR-IST segment posted as the above. Just trying to figure out what the “exception” actually is?
I have had “Distance - exception applies” on the INV/LHR segment of INV/JFK, BA metal and marketed. The LHR/JFK segment was BA metal, AA marketed, and miles posted as method - fare.. 001 ticket, in J. Correct miles, EQM, EQD in both cases.

Perhaps it's the exception that proves the rule.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by tjcxx
I have had “Distance - exception applies” on the INV/LHR segment of INV/JFK, BA metal and marketed. The LHR/JFK segment was BA metal, AA marketed, and miles posted as method - fare.. 001 ticket, in J. Correct miles, EQM, EQD in both cases.

Perhaps it's the exception that proves the rule.
Could be, but obv my RDU-LHR was AA metal (and marketed). The LHR-IST seems to have correctly posted as distance for miles and EQM. Not sure about EQD - guess I’ll have to do the math on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.