Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving AA for Delta or United ??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I moved most of my business from AA to DL this year once the changes of CK as it's own tier and upgrade priority by EQD were announced. I flew AA enough in the first half of the year that I could still rebound and get to Plat Pro if needed.

I've been very happy with DL, but I don't know if my experience would translate to a coast. I'm fortunate because in ORD/MDW I'm almost always flying against the crush of elites using DL to get to Chicago as a destination. There are also a lot of CR9s, which means that even as a PLT upgrade chances are pretty decent on stuff like the 6:30am ORD-SLC or the 10pm DTW-ORD. As long as I stay away from Atlanta and fly as little on Thursday as possible, I'm in good shape.

Operationally, I like Delta better. More C+(e.g. MCE) availability as they have more capacity and they also limit it to Diamond/Platinum at ticketing unless you want to pay for it. I'm 100% on getting C+ about 2 minutes after ticketing as a Plat, although a couple of times booking 7-8 days out I have to settle for a window seat. I think the SkyClubs are generally better than the Admirals Clubs. I think the DL seats themselves on the planes are more comfortable, although the F pitch is much shorter.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I moved most of my business from AA to DL this year once the changes of CK as it's own tier and upgrade priority by EQD were announced. I flew AA enough in the first half of the year that I could still rebound and get to Plat Pro if needed.

I've been very happy with DL, but I don't know if my experience would translate to a coast. I'm fortunate because in ORD/MDW I'm almost always flying against the crush of elites using DL to get to Chicago as a destination. There are also a lot of CR9s, which means that even as a PLT upgrade chances are pretty decent on stuff like the 6:30am ORD-SLC or the 10pm DTW-ORD. As long as I stay away from Atlanta and fly as little on Thursday as possible, I'm in good shape.

Operationally, I like Delta better. More C+(e.g. MCE) availability as they have more capacity and they also limit it to Diamond/Platinum at ticketing unless you want to pay for it. I'm 100% on getting C+ about 2 minutes after ticketing as a Plat, although a couple of times booking 7-8 days out I have to settle for a window seat. I think the SkyClubs are generally better than the Admirals Clubs. I think the DL seats themselves on the planes are more comfortable, although the F pitch is much shorter.
Nice summary! ^
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Im not sure I understand why you have such an issue. If you're booked, say, IAH-CLT-LGA, and you wanted to standby on an earlier flight, and they let you go IAH-ORD, then what happens when you get to ORD and all the flights to LGA are full and you can't clear on to any of them? Are you prepared to spend the night and who knows how much of the next day in ORD? AA doesn't want you doing that. I think the others are probably similar.
It's more of an issue with same-day (confirmed) changes.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Love these threads. It reminds me that AA is the worst airline except for all the other ones.

That being said, I signed up for a match on Delta since I already have EXP for 2018 pretty much taken care of. I am going to move enough travel to them to earn Platinum for next year at least to have an elite option on some of my non-DFW travel.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:29 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by tphuang
interesting, my strategy is to save up the miles for long trips on J. 140K is enough for a return flight to HKG on CX business, which would be $5500 to $7000. That's consistently 4 to 5 cent a mile. With more low cost competition coming in, I don't see the point in sticking with AA for short haul flights that don't earn much EQMs and are way more expensive than everyone else. I just can't see myself ever using miles for domestic flights.
OK, I understand your point, but even CX J goes on sale regularly, especially now that the Chinese carriers are under $3k for RT business between the US and Asia. Still can count on about 2 cents per mile value with FC being a better deal.

I still use AA for domestic travel, as the "Frontiers" all charge for every little thing-carryons etc.,- so unless it's like last Nov's DEN sale (I paid a base fare of $4 each one way DEN-PBI,) they come out higher. For example, Sept DEN-MCO one way is $79 on Frontier plus $98 for the Works=seat selection, one checked and one carryon, plus a little snack. AA is $121. So, where's the savings? Even UA's N fare (basic economy) is higher at $127.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:32 pm

I dunno. I've been flying American consistently for this past year (I'm a lot greener than most of y'all). I've done at least 50 flights with them so far. I have been nothing but satisfied with them. Usually excellent operational performance (I've tracked all of my flights since last July or so, and our takeoff time has usually been on-time), great customer service both on the ground and on the phone, decent-enough app (in what world is United's iPhone app good? I've never had good luck with it!) and pretty decent award redemptions.

My fiancee and I want to go to Barcelona for our honeymoon next year. I tried to book F AASaver tickets from DFW and was almost successful had I not run up against my 150k mile limit for the year. We had plenty of options for F AASaver, even if they were on British Airways (135K per leg). We ultimately booked Business AAnytime both ways.

Also, AA has been the most flexible airline for just about every route that I've flown on since beginning my travelling consultant job last year. I've tried other airlines too.

United definitely has coverage, but Terminal E in DFW sucks. Also, United. (They were the first airline-affiliated credit card I got; the same one I'm using for our wedding stuff, actually. So they were the first airline I did award travel with. Was not a pleasant experience, IIRC.)

Delta connects through MSP or ATL for EVERYTHING. Also, award redemption on the other airlines doesn't seem to be as good, though maybe I didn't do enough research. I do like flying Delta, however. Delta Comfort is great.

JetBlue is AMAZING (and also from Queens!), but their routes are horribly limited from DFW.

Southwest is my leisure airline of choice (I use the Southwest card for everything while working), but I hate hate HATE open seating and good luck/may God be with you/God might not be enough if you encounter irrops. (It's damn near impossible to get an exit window seat with the long legroom unless your A1-2, a.k.a the seat I always book on my American flights)

Honestly, Delta is the only airline I would consider switching to. They have Sweetwater 420 on board. That's all I really need.

Last edited by carlosnunez.dfw; Jul 17, 2017 at 6:41 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick

Having switched to DL last year, this mirrors my experience pretty well as a PM. I'm on a coast (NYC) in a DL hub which was a driver in pushing me over (if that US/DL LGA/DCA slot swap had never happened, we'd probably be having a different conversation). Just having more non-stops has been nice. I have family in RSW and TPA, I'm there several times a year and there's simply no reason I should have to connect on AA to get there.

I do find DL to be operationally better overall and, as a very general observation, there front-line employees (especially on board) to be a bit more customer oriented. (There are great and poor folks at both AA and DL however).

I generally always get C+, but I make sure to book far enough in advance to get it. My upgrade percentage is decent, less than on AA I'd say, but considering the FCM stories I've heard/hear, it's holding up better than I expected, as long as I avoid ATL connections (I use DTW a lot if I have to connect at all).

I have not personally noted a difference in seat comfort between DL and AA, both are fine.

I find DL's meals in domestic F to generally be lackluster, and they would lag old AA meals by a lot. Compared to current AA meals, more of a wash (but no warm nuts! )

SkyClub and AC don't seem all that different to me, though some SkyClubs do have enhanced food selections which is nice. Every SkyClub always seems crowded though.

AA partner lounges internationally knock the pants off of DL partner lounges.

At this point, this was the right decision for me and my personal circumstance. I'm enjoying DL, but certainly some things I miss about AA (and some I definitely don't) after a decade as mostly EXP.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
OK, I understand your point, but even CX J goes on sale regularly, especially now that the Chinese carriers are under $3k for RT business between the US and Asia. Still can count on about 2 cents per mile value with FC being a better deal.

I still use AA for domestic travel, as the "Frontiers" all charge for every little thing-carryons etc.,- so unless it's like last Nov's DEN sale (I paid a base fare of $4 each one way DEN-PBI,) they come out higher. For example, Sept DEN-MCO one way is $79 on Frontier plus $98 for the Works=seat selection, one checked and one carryon, plus a little snack. AA is $121. So, where's the savings? Even UA's N fare (basic economy) is higher at $127.
Chinese carriers are cheap, but all the prices i have seen on CX is still quite high since it's direct to HKG and the lounge/service are great. That being said, out of pocket, I can't see myself paying $5500.

I don't think AA has great product, but I like CX a lot and had great experience anytime I pass by Hong Kong. And AA's 777 international J is pretty good and I also like MCE with 9 across. Domestically, the comp upgrades are great. The lounge is not so good, but nothing is really great in domestic airline. After going through the CX and EK lounges, the domestic lounges aren't a great perk for me.

In terms of alliance network, Star alliance is better than OneWorld for redemption and number of high quality partners, but DL/Skyteam is not as good in my opinion. The reward and upgrade opportunity on Delta is horrendous.

I don't get this Delta love. Their hard product is above average, but not great. Comfort+ on DL is probably comparable to B6 Y seat. You could get stuck on a 34 inch pitch with sub 17 inch width comfort+ seat. That is really not comfortable. In terms of IFE, nothing they have is better than B6. I can pick between AA/B6/DL for my travel out of New York and have not flown DL for the longest time.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang

In terms of alliance network, Star alliance is better than OneWorld for redemption and number of high quality partners, but DL/Skyteam is not as good in my opinion. The reward and upgrade opportunity on Delta is horrendous.

I don't get this Delta love. Their hard product is above average, but not great. Comfort+ on DL is probably comparable to B6 Y seat. You could get stuck on a 34 inch pitch with sub 17 inch width comfort+ seat. That is really not comfortable. In terms of IFE, nothing they have is better than B6. I can pick between AA/B6/DL for my travel out of New York and have not flown DL for the longest time.
Also in NYC. Yes, SkyTeam is meh and no one should ever join SkyMiles for redemptions because ugh. As much as I like Jetblue, DL works for me out of NYC because I fly internationally (quite a bit). And I worry about Jetblue's ability to recover in IRROPS since they don't interline. But I am quite a Jetblue fan.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:01 pm

One note that may be of interest to those reading this thread. There is a report, currently unconfirmed, that DL may change their credit card waiver to match United's rule which says you can't earn top tier (Diamond on DL) status with the credit card spend waiver. Again, this is unconfirmed. If the report is right, this will impact the 2019 Medallion year (the status you will earn during 2018 for 2019)

Thread on topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...then-read.html
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Many interesting comments, and different perspectives here. As OP I am appreciative of the collective voices from FT members. My takeaways based on the conversation (and assuming top status EXP, 1K, DM - maybe even Platinum level):

UPGRADES:
• AA still best for comp. domestic upgrades, despite recent declines
• All of the big 3 offer good EC+ availability to high-tier elites
• United has the best same-day-change options, Delta 2nd, AA the worst
• SWU and similar instruments have become less useful at all three carriers

OPERATIONS:
• Delta is still the best at handling IRROPS - and regular ops too IMO
• AA stumbling a bit, but pushing hard to improve
• United is a mixed bag, though some here maintain greatly improved

AWARDS:
• United/Star Alliance has the best international network, especially to Europe, also good to Asia; very good awards availability and easiest access to partner awards; also limited or NO fuel/carrier surcharges
• AA relies heavily on BA awards to Europe, requiring substantial surcharges. AA awards to Asia include partners CX, JL and QF, all good options. Good SA network with LAN. Award availability has seen substantial decline lately.
• Delta/Skyteam has weakest network and more costly awards redemptions; weak to Asia, though AF/KLM offers access to Europe; Delta is better than expected domestically IMO.

LOUNGES:
• All three carriers have uninspiring domestic lounges – roughly equal
• OneWorld international lounges some of the best anywhere (i.e. CX in HKG!)
• United/Star Alliance offers some good international options
• Delta international lounge options – not so much

MOBILE APP:
One note about the mobile app. I think the Delta app is great, and that it especially shines at IRROPS. By the time my delayed flight lands the app typically shows a confirmed rebooking, plus a half dozen alternative options. Likewise flight status is updated in reasonably useful timeframe; and all basic functions including award booking are there. In part this reflects Delta’s superiority at handling IRROPS, but also a commitment to decent IT. AA is WAY behind in this regard, and while the United app is fully functional doesn’t feel like it has the same focus on the immediate travel information one most wants to know. Especially for business flyers, but also hard-charging leisure ones, Delta seems like a different/better ballgame.

NOTE ON JETBLUE:
I enjoy flying JetBlue and find their inflight experience superior to the Big Three. From personal experience, however, they are a disaster when it comes to IRROPS because they have such limited fallback resources. JetBlue will not, and cannot, provide anything more than an attempt at next available flight out, even if it’s 2 to 3 days away. You’re really SOL in these cases. Nice people, but no backup plan.

Last edited by pfbloom; Jul 18, 2017 at 12:18 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by pfbloom
Many interesting comments, and different perspectives here. As OP I am appreciative of the collective voices from FT members. My takeaways based on the conversation (and assuming top status EXP, 1K, DM - maybe even Platinum level):

UPGRADES:
• AA still best for comp. domestic upgrades, despite recent declines
• All of the big 3 offer good EC+ availability to high-tier elites
• United has the best same-day-change options, Delta 2nd, AA the worst

OPERATIONS:
• Delta is still the best at handling IRROPS - and regular ops too IMO
• AA stumbling a bit, but pushing hard to improve
• United is a mixed bag, though some here maintain greatly improved

AWARDS:
• United/Star Alliance has the best international network, especially to Europe, also good to Asia; very good awards availability and easiest access to partner awards; also limited or NO fuel/carrier surcharges
• AA relies heavily on BA awards to Europe, requiring substantial surcharges. AA awards to Asia include partners CX, JL and QF, all good options. Good SA network with LAN. Award availability has seen substantial decline lately.
• Delta/Skyteam has weakest network and more costly awards redemptions; weak to Asia, though AF/KLM offers access to Europe; Delta is better than expected domestically IMO.

LOUNGES:
• All three carriers have uninspiring domestic lounges – roughly equal
• OneWorld international lounges some of the best anywhere (i.e. CX in HKG!)
• United/Star Alliance offers some good international options
• Delta international lounge options – not so much

MOBILE APP:
One note about the mobile app. I think the Delta app is great, and that it especially shines at IRROPS. By the time my delayed flight lands the app typically shows a confirmed rebooking, plus a half dozen alternative options. Likewise flight status is updated in reasonably useful timeframe; and all basic functions including award booking are there. In part this reflects Delta’s superiority at handling IRROPS, but also a commitment to decent IT. AA is WAY behind in this regard, and while the United app is fully functional doesn’t feel like it has the same focus on the immediate travel information one most wants to know. Especially for business flyers, but also hard-charging leisure ones, Delta seems like a different/better ballgame.

NOTE ON JETBLUE:
I enjoy flying JetBlue and find their inflight experience superior to the Big Three. From personal experience, however, they are a disaster when it comes to IRROPS because they have such limited fallback resources. JetBlue will not, and cannot, provide anything more than an attempt at next available flight out, even if it’s 2 to 3 days away. You’re really SOL in these cases. Nice people, but no backup plan.
Nice, and accurate summary ^
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:42 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Im not sure I understand why you have such an issue. If you're booked, say, IAH-CLT-LGA, and you wanted to standby on an earlier flight, and they let you go IAH-ORD, then what happens when you get to ORD and all the flights to LGA are full and you can't clear on to any of them? Are you prepared to spend the night and who knows how much of the next day in ORD? AA doesn't want you doing that. I think the others are probably similar.
Why would AA care? It's my time and on my nickel!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Solid overview, OP.

Originally Posted by pfbloom
I would, however, argue this point is not quite accurate for AA. SWU instruments have become LESS, that's for sure... but I have been able to use mine very easily this year.

Anyway, that horse has been beaten a lot already.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:28 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
OP's overview is solid. For me, as an LAX-based flyer I really do have my pick of UA, DL or AA as a "hometown" carrier; all three offer generous nonstops, although UA's network is the weakest for my particular wants and needs. They've taken away more than they've added in LAX in the last 5-7 years, at least that's how it seems. AA and DL have really beefed up service, in contrast.

I have come to value nonstops above all else; get me there without a change of plane and I'm yours. Often that's AA for me, sometimes it's DL. Every once in a while UA is the only carrier in the market nonstop or has the best flights, but that's rare from LAX.

My general opinion is that AA still has the most roomy premium (first) cabin on narrowbody planes; DL feel quite tight in this regard. UA depends on the aircraft.

I also generally prefer the smart cabin refresh from AA; it's corporate looking and not flashy, but feels clean and tidy. DL is nice too, but there is more inconsistency there.

And internationally it's not even a fair race in markets where AA is running the 77W, 772 or 787 reverse herringbone; that's the best product in the skies. There are certain elements of the 77W service on AA that I think are even better than CX on some long hauls (SYD, AKL, HKG). Mattress pads. PJs. But YMMV.

For me, loyalty to AA is all about the network in LAX. They get my business 80% of the time due to a nonstop flight. Saving 2-3 hours each way when you travel 2-3 times per month really adds up - an average of 5 hours saved per trip, up to 15 hours per month.

So many things about AA to complain about (like, don't get me started on the shabby state of the current Admiral's Club in LAX, it's a mess). But I'm loyal to their route network and the way it fits my business and my life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.