Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving AA for Delta or United ??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Leaving AA for Delta or United ??

I'm sure there must be a thread for this somewhere else, but I couldn't find it. (moderator please move this post if I'm missing something)...

With the recent devaluations, all three of the legacy carriers now offer pretty much the same loyalty program benefits, eliminating AA's greatest differentiator. Very sad to see AAdvantage program so weakened.... so I'm thinking of switching carriers and I'm undecided whether to go United or Delta. My flying habits: mostly leisure, mostly self-paid, half international to Europe/Asia/OZ and half domestic. Lots of flexibility. Out of BTV/BOS/YUL.

Delta
  • Best operational performance
  • By far the best phone app
  • Good domestic route network and decent fares
  • Good international network and fares
  • Skyteam Alliance weakest of the Big 3
  • Good crew and GA service
  • Okay domestic award availability
  • Okay international award availability on partners
  • BUT international awards may require more miles
  • Okay comp. upgrade avail. for Platinum/Diamond
  • So-so RDM earnings
  • CC-waiver to meet annual spend for elites

UNITED
  • So-so operational performance
  • Okay phone app
  • Good international network and fares
  • Star Alliance very strong, best of Big3
  • Poor crew and GA service
  • Okay domestic award availability
  • Excellent international award availability (on Star partners)
  • Okay Biz-class award availability
  • Poor comp. upgrade avail. - even for Platinum/1K (??)
  • So-so RDM earnings
  • CC-waiver to meet annual spend for elites

(and for reference, AA)
  • Good operational performance (but weaker lately)
  • Very weak phone app
  • Okay international network but good fares
  • OneWorld Alliance good, but heavy reliance on BA
  • Good crew and GA service (AA-legacy)
  • Good domestic award availability
  • Okay international award availability (and devolving)
  • Very poor Biz-class award availability
  • Decent comp. domestic upgrades (at EXP level) but devolving
  • So-so RDM earnings
  • NO CC-waiver to meet annual spend

Last edited by pfbloom; Jul 12, 2017 at 1:26 pm
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I can only comment on AA and UA and can't about DL. Your points are mostly correct although for UA you'll never see a CPU even as a 1K unless your flying ord-dsm on a Sunday morning. Sad but true. However, the GPU's clear easily at time of booking (albeit it a higher fare bucket) so you don't have to wonder and wait whether or not it's going to clear. Star alliance is a superior alliance to One World, in my opinion at least. UA's slim fit seats are REALLY uncomfortable and are pretty much systemwide. AA's older coach seats are just that--older but have more padding and are more comfortable.
UA has nice IFE with direct TV that's free up front (nice) and wifi that doesn't cost exorbitant amount like AA's does.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I have been thinking about the same thing when I get to 2MM. Your points all sound very valid.

One of the things to note is that the CC waiver for United is good for all levels except Premier 1K while Delta's CC waiver is good for all levels.

You may also want to research how much you will earn on partner airlines. It seems like AA and Delta do a better job than United. This will be key to me whenever I live overseas again.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
What about JetBlue since you're out of BOS (particularly if you are in J for international flights)? Far from the best FFP, but you get comp'ed alcoholic beverages, free same-day change (including to coterminals), and the unadvertised benefit of available EMS seats upon request prior to boarding for Mosaics.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
I think you're pretty spot on.

Only changes-

DL availability for comp upgrades is worse than AA (much more aggressive FCM) and would be much worse if not offset somewhat by more premium heavy configs (A319 F has 12 versus 8, etc). International awards do cost more miles if you can find what DL would have previously called "saver" - cost is still higher than AA and the upper bound on their mile awards is far higher. and DL does not let you redeem for first class awards which is a minus. Partners cost more for awards than DL metal (not true on AA). EQD / EQM requirements for top tier elites are higher - $15K for Diamond and 125k eqms

Finally, AA does offset EQD spend using the Aviator cards (new feature), so no true waiver but there is an offset.

One thing you could also add is lounge access rules / lounges
DL - domestic sky clubs best of American carriers; no first class lounge access for top tier elites (minus), mid tier status gain entrance to business lounges on intl itineraries (standard)
AA - admirals clubs are fine (on par with UA slightly below DL), int'l access best of the three - top tier elites get access to international F lounges and if traveling Y internationally mid tier and above get flagship lounge access / business lounge access above (connecting or departing)
UA - United Clubs tend to lag ACs and SCs but are in the same ballpark as ACs. Polaris lounge is incredible but not accessible for elites in Y; top tier only gets into mid tier *G lounge and only on intl departure leg (no arrival / connecting in Y access), which is a minus
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Useful list.

Originally Posted by pfbloom
(and for reference, AA)
  • Good domestic award availability
Sadly, for me out of PHL, this is no longer the case. I used to find short haul flights to be good value at 4500 (now 7500) BA points and now 7500 AA points. But I can no longer find anything at all. One example: I'm trying to get from PHL-YYZ. There is not a single seat available for economy awards in the months of July, August, September, October, and November. The next available economy award seat is on Dec 15. It's comically awful, and a dramatic change from the LUS days.

Perhaps not quite as extreme, but similar experience for all the other routes I've considered burning a few miles on (for my kid's ticket).
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pfbloom
UNITED[*]Poor crew and GA service
On this note, I will say that over the past 18 months, UA cabin crew have impressed me more consistently than AA cabin crew. As for GAs, really depends on the location in my experience.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean, we can create all these lists, but it really depends on what you value, which is very YMMV.

For me, no international first class awards, the 72-hour rule, and no free award changes (even date/time) unless top(?)-tier are heavy strikes against SkyMiles.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
For me, no international first class awards, the 72-hour rule, and no free award changes (even date/time) unless top(?)-tier are heavy strikes against SkyMiles.
Don't forget no ability to hold award tickets also.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
I just got my status match to DL today and switching over from AA Platinum to Delta Gold after being stupidly loyal to AA for 15 years. Personally for me as mostly an LGA flier, DL has really stepped up their game over AA, and for my normal routes, DL has become a better option. Caribbean also used to be a twice a year destination and AA has basically pulled out of the Caribbean from JFK entirely. No non-stops to ski country, all through ORD or DFW. So basically, i was jumping through hoops to fly them for both personal and business travel, and with devaluation of Platinum status, makes zero sense. Delta has way better prices for buying F when I really want or need it, so for me, the shoe seems to fit.

Guess it's time to change by username?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by AALoyalNYC

Guess it's time to change by username?
Yes. How about Delta Won (One).
AALoyalNYC likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:07 pm

I'm a big Delta Flyer with a huge bucket of DL Miles and have made the switch to AA.

While I agree, the phone app on AA is horrible, from what I hear they are working on it, no idea when it will be out though.

the area where AA shines over Delta is their upgrade with miles. I have 800k+ skymiles and try to use them to upgrade coach intl fares to BIZ and have never had a single bit of luck. Delta seems to let all their BIZ seats go to non-revs at the last minute while AA seems to have an actual interest in upgrading you the seat if you want to pay for it.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I mean, we can create all these lists, but it really depends on what you value, which is very YMMV.

Both Plat and Diamond get free award changes on DL.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The grass in not always greener on the other side
When ever an ffp announces changes there is a small flood of potential refugees looking for better. They will not find it.

With the majority of ffp's benefits are reducing and ff mile award/upgrade costs are going up. Upgrades are now harder to get.
The halcyon days of frequent flyer programs a decade ago are gone: just accept reality.

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Pfbloom - coming from a mostly UA person, I would say the UA app is hands down the best of the big 3, but I know everyone has different views. I find the rebooking, ability to upgrade/change flights, etc very seamless. From a UI perspective, I find the UA app much easier to locate things and is laid out better. Realize it's a small factor, but wanted to give my opinion.

Regarding domestic award availability on UA, I find it to be very good. Given that you are traveling mostly for personal reasons, if you have some flexibility and are wiling to not always take the in-demand flights, I can always find at least some sort of routing at the saver level.

Stark contrast from AA, where it seems I can never find anything at a non-exorbitant amount, even being flexible with dates and times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.