Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AMS / Amsterdam Schiphol AA Check-in and lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS / Amsterdam Schiphol AA Check-in and lounges

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ClayPot
I checked the OneWorld lounge finder for AMS on my biz ticket back to the US on AA metal and it said I could use the Aspire lounge and that this lounge was on the non-secure side.

Is is this true? That would seem to mean I might have to leave the lounge an hour before boarding depending on security.
We have merged your query into the existing thread.

Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Took the flight AMS-DFW yesterday and was surprised that we were shuttled to load the plane via steps, no jetway. Passengers are told if they're not at the gate 30 mins prior to departure they are not obligated to fly.

We arrived 2 hrs early and took that long to get thru check-in, security and make it to the bus. Aspire Lounge is after security, but we didn't stop in.

The flight departed right on time, was a nice haul in J on the 772. We had four sAAvers that we scored right after the new flight/schedule was loaded, made for a happy family.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite for Life, AA Platinum, United Gold
AA biz AMS-DFW

I am flying AMS-DFW next Sunday in biz class. I have been to both the Aspire and BA lounge and will try both if I have time. I am staying at the Hampton by the airport so I don’t have to rush.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:19 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mgold9
I am flying AMS-DFW next Sunday in biz class. I have been to both the Aspire and BA lounge and will try both if I have time. I am staying at the Hampton by the airport so I don’t have to rush.
Will be interested to see if your experience next week is different than your past experiences. (If I were staying near the hotel, I’d rather sleep-in than get to the airport for either of those lounges.)

My conclusions from being in both lounges earlier this year:
- BA: in the morning, it’s a very thin food spread. Yoghurt, a small plate of cold meat and cheese, some breads/pastries. No hot foods. Smaller lounge, but more quiet. Moderately easy to find space to sit/relax.
-Aspire: similar food options as BA with the addition of a hot soup and a hot egg item from a chafing dish. Heineken on tap. More often crowded, harder to find a place to sit in morning, dishes all over the place as staff just can’t keep up with the traffic.
mgold9 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite for Life, AA Platinum, United Gold
Aspire Lounge 41

Well it was pretty full this morning and PriorityPass members were not allowed until 11:00. They had a person stationed outside the entrance to check.

Lounge was pretty full but clean and stocked. I had a few rolls, coffee and water. They did have a couple of hot items.

I did not have time to go to the BA lounge.

Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Hideous auto check in at AMS

just experienced my worse business check in ever!

I ended up checking on 4 times

no deficated line for business travellers

all have to check in again using machine

try to use auto bag check after being manually checked in again at a podium with further passport chrck

bag doesn't fit on auto check in platform

wait for help like at a supermaket auto check out

told to wait in long queue for manual check in

other irate business passengers

finally told one of the queues was business but no signage

finally checked in for the 4th time

told the lady It was the worst buisinesscheck in I-had ever experienced, she initially ignored me. on repeating she said she doesnt work for the airline

she directed me to the AA rep who just said its the way things are going!

totally hideous and doesnt work

Took about half an hour and very high stress levels

Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:26 am
C46

Welcome to Dougie's HP/US-style of running an airline!

But unfortunately the AA-representative is right - that's the way things are nowadays. Everybody is trying to reduce costs; even the ME3 had significant changes in the last 2-3 years.

Pax want it cheap - cheap as a booze-filled all-nighter in Bulgaria. And that's what the airlines are offering.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by allturnleft

...no deficated line for business travelers...
I have to admit that's pretty stinky!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by C46
Pax want it cheap - cheap as a booze-filled all-nighter in Bulgaria. And that's what the airlines are offering.
The problem is that it's not cheap.
BearX220 and ceebee100 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:59 am
C46

Originally Posted by brewdog11
The problem is that it's not cheap.
I disagree.
Transatlantic flights, on lie-flat seats, have never been cheaper - keeping inflation in mind.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by C46
Continental was mandating kiosk check-in for business TATL passengers back in 2004, if not before.

The OP may be from a different place and time.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
Took about half an hour and very high stress levels
Honestly, as travel hassles go, having to spend a grand total of 20 mins at four kiosks ranks pretty darn low.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C46

But unfortunately the AA-representative is right - that's the way things are nowadays...
Think the OP's experience has as much to do (if not more) with it being AMS, as it does with it being AA.

AMS as an airport is just an awful experience all around as a traveler, in my experience. Check-in, security, passport control, lounges, miles long hike to the gates, baggage reclaim on inbound, it's all terrible.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by C46
I disagree.
Transatlantic flights, on lie-flat seats, have never been cheaper - keeping inflation in mind.
I respectfully disagree.

Pricing out a r/t between AMS and PHL, most viable dates for business travel price out at around $3k to $5k. I'm not sure what they charged for business back in the 1980s, but that's hardly cheap.
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by brewdog11
I respectfully disagree.

Pricing out a r/t between AMS and PHL, most viable dates for business travel price out at around $3k to $5k. I'm not sure what they charged for business back in the 1980s, but that's hardly cheap.
Transatlantic business class in the 1980s was also similar to today's domestic F (slightly wider recliner seats with more pitch than economy, but nowhere near lie-flat), so it's a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison. But if lie-flat seats were even available (maybe in TATL F), I'd be shocked if they were as cheap as $3-5k in the 80s.

Aside: here's a nice rundown of how "business class" became a thing
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.