Wiki Posts
Search

Blocked Seats on Expert Flyer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Blocked Seats on Expert Flyer

I don't really use expert flyer much, but i am planning to go standby (AA Gld status) tomorrow AM on DFW-SFO. On the AA seat map tool , i noticed that there were not many seats (and assuming spots on plane) available.

However my free sub to ExpertFlyer shows that 9 additional seats are blocked. Will those be opened up or should i expect those blocked seats to remain unavailable even when i get to the airport. Just looking for 2 seats.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by dc9703
I don't really use expert flyer much, but i am planning to go standby (AA Gld status) tomorrow AM on DFW-SFO. On the AA seat map tool , i noticed that there were not many seats (and assuming spots on plane) available.

However my free sub to ExpertFlyer shows that 9 additional seats are blocked. Will those be opened up or should i expect those blocked seats to remain unavailable even when i get to the airport. Just looking for 2 seats.
The blocked seats are held to be assigned by the gate agent. This gives the GA a certain amount of flexibility to re-seat people and handle special requests, disabilities, families, etc.

Seat map is a notoriously terrible predictor of availability. There could be a pile of non-elites without a seat assignment and the flight could even be oversold. If you are concerned about standby-- never infer anything from the seat map. Use the real expertflyer availability tool (or if you're cheap, see what comes up when you start a dummy booking with multiple pax).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by dc9703
Will those be opened up or should i expect those blocked seats to remain unavailable even when i get to the airport. Just looking for 2 seats.
If these seats are still blocked when you check-in at the airport, you can always request the check-in agent leave an electronic note for the gate agent. I've had success in the past using this method, as the gate agent will typically receive a message once he/she starts to work the flight and fill those blocked seats. Not always 100% successful (this is one way I've gotten into row 17 on the 763 domestic segments when upgrade odds looked unlikely), but worth a try.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
If these seats are still blocked when you check-in at the airport, you can always request the check-in agent leave an electronic note for the gate agent. I've had success in the past using this method, as the gate agent will typically receive a message once he/she starts to work the flight and fill those blocked seats. Not always 100% successful (this is one way I've gotten into row 17 on the 763 domestic segments when upgrade odds looked unlikely), but worth a try.

-FlyerBeek
This would work if the OP had a confirmed ticket, but he/she is talking about flying standby.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Thanks for the advice. Went for the early flight and got on as #2 9n the list
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by wetrat0
This would work if the OP had a confirmed ticket, but he/she is talking about flying standby.
It can still work even if the OP is standby.

I've had the AC send messages / call the gate to request specific seats on flights where it was certain I would clear. YMMV, but you never know if you don't try.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.