Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

traveling with firearms in checked baggage, AA handling problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC

Well, the last two weeks I've traveled with weapons AZO-ORD-DFW. AZO does their job per policy, checks the weapons, and attaches the BSO tag to so that my bag would go to special pickup. Both weekends I waited at special pickup but my bag ended up coming out on the carousel. I found my bag going round and round where anyone could have picked it up and taken off with it. I emailed AA and they sent a form letter back with some stock BS language so I emailed them again as clearly they do not understand the position their policy and refusal to follow it is a Huge deal. Next, they placed a hold on me checking in online because I was flying with guns, or so they thought because my return trip I wasn't bringing weapons. I called in and they fixed that and blamed the mess up on contract employees, like I care. I was BS'ing with one of the Angels at ORD AC and she thought it was pretty important so she was going to have their manager talk to DFWs manager about this situation so hopefuly I'll have some answers soon as to what the major malfunction is at DFW.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by 50ae
...so hopefuly I'll have some answers soon as to what the major malfunction is at DFW.
You won't.

Although, really, do you need AA to provide an explanation for the "major malfunction" at DFW?

Hint: it's somewhere on the lazy-incompetent spectrum.

If Rampers at DFW can't figure out that an entire planeload of bags from a pre-clearance flight should not be sent to bag claim inside Customs, do you think they can reliably route your bag to the right place?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I would file a complaint with DOT. I am also wondering if ATF would also have an interest..... The baggage has a BSO tag, so that would seem to entice someone to pick it up, other than the owner
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

That BSO tag was my worry. Fed law says they can not put a firearms tag on the outside of the bag but what is this BSO tag other than a workaround for that law.

I'm not sure the ATF would care.

As I understand it this is an AA policy and not DOT so I'm not sure with them either.

Originally Posted by mvoight
I would file a complaint with DOT. I am also wondering if ATF would also have an interest..... The baggage has a BSO tag, so that would seem to entice someone to pick it up, other than the owner
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I find it crazy that bag full of guns was just hanging out twirling around on the carousel for anyone to grab. Wow.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

You and me both. The first trip it was about 2000$ worth and the second it was about 300$ worth. I took pics but I'm not sure how that claim would have even gone had they been stolen.

Originally Posted by enviroian
I find it crazy that bag full of guns was just hanging out twirling around on the carousel for anyone to grab. Wow.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Under what circumstances, other than luggage with a firearm, does luggage get a BSO tag?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sbrower
Under what circumstances, other than luggage with a firearm, does luggage get a BSO tag?
BSO tags (meaning Baggage Service Operations, tag usually states "Return to BSO") are generally affixed to checked baggage with high value contents.

If Baggage Service Operations don't intercept these marked bags as expected, they translate as "Steal me first" to anyone of larcenous intent.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

I'm just glad it was midnight at DFW when its relatively empty.

Originally Posted by JDiver
BSO tags (meaning Baggage Service Operations, tag usually states "Return to BSO") are generally affixed to checked baggage with high value contents.

If Baggage Service Operations don't intercept these marked bags as expected, they translate as "Steal me first" to anyone of larcenous intent.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA
I fly BOS-ROC/ITH and back a couple times a year to go hunting and check my
long guns(rifles and shotguns). I usually have to connect through PHL. I have had
my gun lockers(suit cases) end up on the regular carousel numerous times, been told to go to BSO while the locker is spinning on the carousel, had TSA lose the padlocks on the lockers which are required to transport guns(they sometimes inspect the gun lockers). I also
have had AA lose the gun locker for a couple of days and finally had it delivered by local
carrier to the hunting lodge - crazy!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
OP: when we talk gun cases: something like a pelikan or similar wheeled-or not long gun hard case product? I have one but it’s for takedowns and it’s clearly broadcasting “gun inside.” It fits into an XL Filson wheeled duffle, so thats how I declare it along with a few cased, also locked handguns, and related ammo & mags. I too would be concerned if what is obviously a long gun case was spinning about in the regular claims area.

I've heard some with long guns find a lockable (or not) slim case that fits into a check-in, lockable golf bag hard case. Or likewise, a hard-case ski tote. Handguns declared in another check-in.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Mine have always received the red "special handling" tag. Nothing about return to BSO. Did they change the tags recently ?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:10 am
Original Poster

I'm not sure about recently but it has said Return to BSO this whole year. I'm going to try and make a big deal out of this with AA today.

Originally Posted by adambrock
Mine have always received the red "special handling" tag. Nothing about return to BSO. Did they change the tags recently ?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

OK, finally was able to talk to AA about this. I was nice, explained the problems that could occur had my bag been stolen due to this and that maybe these BSO tags are not the way to go for weapons. I think she understood the problem fully after I finished. She offered me 5k miles as a token which considering I wasn't looking to get miles at all was a nice bonus. We shall see if this policy changes in the future.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
DL used to send the bags out to the belt with no special tags. Now they're supposed to go to the baggage office to be zip-tied, but the handlers mess that up about half the time, especially at regional airports.

I keep snips in the outside pocket to get rid of the ridiculous zip ties, but I'm not a fan of a specially marked bag going to the belt. If it happens again, I'm complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.