Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777" C37 Super Diamond Main Cabin & Extra MCE (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Boeing 777-200ER
Main Cabin layout

Image: aerolopa.com
Note, seatguru’s seating charts are out of date and should be disregarded.

General information
The Main Cabin layout is standardised across the entire Boeing 777-200ER fleet, so economy seat assignments are protected in the event of an aircraft switching from type 1 to type 2 (or vice versa)

Main Cabin Extra:
Safran (formerly Weber) 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 34" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan the MCE seats are indicated with orange accents

Main Cabin:
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 31" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan these seats are indicated with red accents

Wifi:
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

IFE:
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

Seat observations and recommendations
Row 17: the bulkhead partitions are raised on steel pedestals affording these seats additional foot space
20 DEGH: designated and sold as Main Cabin Extra but beware these seats do not offer additional leg room

Sister threads
As all AA 77Es share identical Main Cabin and MCE layouts, you can also check out the comments and recommendations posted in the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...extra-mce.html thread
Print Wikipost

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777" C37 Super Diamond Main Cabin & Extra MCE (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by Agland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVZnLJYxkBk

here's a video walkthrough of the plane to get an idea about some of your questions. It helped put me to ease regarding bulkhead seats (17 row) - I get them free via status but would probably pay 'up' if you really want the space. Remember the 17 row is narrower due to the fixed armrests, but my group is skinny and it's worth the tradeoff to not have someone reclining in my face the entire trip.

Have you called regarding a buy-up to PE? Give them a ring or check your app; American has started offering the option to me lately in-app. It isn't a deal but it's a lot easier.
Thanks for you reply! I appreciate that video... I do like the 25A and C we have selected, but definitely would like to pay up to PE when it's offered!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
The real question -- which I can't answer -- is whether any MCE seats will still be available at 24 hours before departure. If they are, then you can select them for free as an AAdvantage Gold member.
Thanks for the reply, Guv! Agreed, I certainly would consider those at T24, but just can't see much value in them before hand. We will have to see if a PE buyup is available!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:13 am

Did you ever call to see about a buy-up? I'm debating doing the same.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:31 pm

Did you ever call to see about a buy-up? I'm debating doing the same.
No, we are waiting to see if an offer is pushed our way at OLCI T24. That is the best strategy for getting a discounted offer on PE. I believe if you call before T24 you will just get a buy up to "full retail" price.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by slpybear
No, we are waiting to see if an offer is pushed our way at OLCI T24. That is the best strategy for getting a discounted offer on PE. I believe if you call before T24 you will just get a buy up to "full retail" price.
is there any discussion on this strategy that you'd be willing to share? I get the 'full retail' price pushed to me via the AA app, but would absolutely jump on a discounted upgrade rate, especially if it doesn't require me to burn miles.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:39 am

is there any discussion on this strategy that you'd be willing to share? I get the 'full retail' price pushed to me via the AA app, but would absolutely jump on a discounted upgrade rate, especially if it doesn't require me to burn miles.
Hello Agland, sometimes American will offer an upgrade to next class for purchase when you check in. It can be seen sometimes on your app at checkin, sometimes at the kiosk at the airport. My domestic offers are not very attractive, but from reading here and talking to others I hear that on international flights they can be worth it.

This strategy means you would not know for certain of the possibility until within 24 hrs of departure. So, our plan is to get the best seats in main cabin that we would be satisfied with and then be happy if we get an up to PE. (We don't think MCE is necessarily worth it for a transatlantic hop, YMMV.) Plenty of reading in the thread below.

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)
Old Feb 4, 2021, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Are 17JL on the 772 designated crew rest seats now? They seem to be blocked or taken on every flight I check (and 17AC are open).
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Are 17JL on the 772 designated crew rest seats now? They seem to be blocked or taken on every flight I check (and 17AC are open).
it’s always blocked for airport control. It’s not a crew rest seat
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gateH15
Is this still the case? Seems like prime MCE seats that could otherwise be sold for $$ in-advance so it's odd that they would be under airport control...
Old Mar 4, 2022, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by gateH15
does 17JL have bassinet capabilities
Old Mar 4, 2022, 5:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by caretodream
does 17JL have bassinet capabilities
Yes, there are sockets mounted to the bulkhead wall for bassinets at this location
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:45 am

Which seats have missing or misaligned windows?

We'll be on AA235 from FCO-JFK in May with my husband who gets airsick if he can't see out a window . Can anyone offer info on which seats on the 777-200ER have missing or misaligned windows? I checked Seatguru and I'm not seeing any seat details in the hover-text on the seat map.

Gleaned from other posts:
Row 26 - No window
Row 18 - Misaligned window
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by overhear
We'll be on AA235 from FCO-JFK in May with my husband who gets airsick if he can't see out a window . Can anyone offer info on which seats on the 777-200ER have missing or misaligned windows? I checked Seatguru and I'm not seeing any seat details in the hover-text on the seat map.

Gleaned from other posts:
Row 26 - No window
Row 18 - Misaligned window
This is a pretty accurate assessment. I’ll add a further caution against row 18, which is if the occupant in 17A/L reclines, you’ll lose entirely the already limited opportunity of a view
overhear likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:58 am

MCE Seat 18J vs 19H

Which of these 2 seats would you choose when considering the pluses and minuses? My family is in 19 J, K & L so those are my 2 options to be near them. As of now, 18K is not booked but 18L is booked so maybe the seat next to 18J will be open? But I’m not sure how much more narrow the 18J seat will be vs 19H - enough that it negates all of the extra width that comes w a normal MCE seat? Are there footrests in 19H that I’d be missing out on with 18J? I’m only 5’8 but like the idea of being able to stretch my legs on an 8-9 hr flight from JFK-FCO. But I’m torn.

thanks!
Old May 24, 2023, 5:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As there is now just one main cabin / MCE configuration for the 777-200ER, this thread is now defunct and is being replaced by a new thread here:

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777” Main Cabin & Extra / MCE (master thread)

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.