Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777" C37 Super Diamond Main Cabin & Extra MCE (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Boeing 777-200ER
Main Cabin layout

Image: aerolopa.com
Note, seatguru’s seating charts are out of date and should be disregarded.

General information
The Main Cabin layout is standardised across the entire Boeing 777-200ER fleet, so economy seat assignments are protected in the event of an aircraft switching from type 1 to type 2 (or vice versa)

Main Cabin Extra:
Safran (formerly Weber) 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 34" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan the MCE seats are indicated with orange accents

Main Cabin:
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 31" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan these seats are indicated with red accents

Wifi:
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

IFE:
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

Seat observations and recommendations
Row 17: the bulkhead partitions are raised on steel pedestals affording these seats additional foot space
20 DEGH: designated and sold as Main Cabin Extra but beware these seats do not offer additional leg room

Sister threads
As all AA 77Es share identical Main Cabin and MCE layouts, you can also check out the comments and recommendations posted in the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...extra-mce.html thread
Print Wikipost

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777" C37 Super Diamond Main Cabin & Extra MCE (archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
How much extra legroom does 27 (MCE) have over 20 (non-MCE)? I see that 20 DEGH are MCE, but 20 ABC/JKL are not.

Niece is Gold and going to try to get her MCE seats at T-24. Her and a friend so I'm guessing AB/KL seats are better than DE/GH.

They are underage, so free drinks isn't a factor.

On an award ticket so I can't upgrade them.

Thanks!
Shameless bump as the T-24 window opens in a few hours. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Which seat would you choose? Flight AA101 LHR-JFK day flight. Inexperienced AA flyer so would like some collective wisdom from any experience you may have!

Like the idea of 17B(C?) or 19L and don’t really like people reclining in front, is the MCE seat pitch enough to make this a non issue?

Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I've always been intrigued by 25 A/C as they're only two seats (only if the 2 in 17 are reserved). Are they anything like those special 763 seats that sometimes were reserved for FA rest and were sometimes open for pax to reserve or just standard YC seats and no recline?

In the above I would def keep 17C.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I've always been intrigued by 25 A/C as they're only two seats (only if the 2 in 17 are reserved). Are they anything like those special 763 seats that sometimes were reserved for FA rest and were sometimes open for pax to reserve or just standard YC seats and no recline?

In the above I would def keep 17C.
keep 17C. 25AC just pair of 2 seats by the lavatory.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:16 am

Has anyone sat in or otherwise noticed row 20 ABC/JKL? Are these in any way better/worse than other standard, non-MCE seats?

AA shows these as standard seats despite DEGH on that row being MCE. I'm assuming this is correct as from this thread, it looks like this has been the case since this configuration was rolled out. I'm an AA Gold traveling in a family of three, so I have access to preferred seats, but I am not interested in paying $650 round trip for MCE seats.

Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by aaronm23
Has anyone sat in or otherwise noticed row 20 ABC/JKL? Are these in any way better/worse than other standard, non-MCE seats?

AA shows these as standard seats despite DEGH on that row being MCE. I'm assuming this is correct as from this thread, it looks like this has been the case since this configuration was rolled out. I'm an AA Gold traveling in a family of three, so I have access to preferred seats, but I am not interested in paying $650 round trip for MCE seats.

Thanks!
I'm also interested in what the deal is with row 20. Also wondering if there any compromises for DEGH, such as slightly less legroom than other MCE or limited recline?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by aradisc
I'm also interested in what the deal is with row 20. Also wondering if there any compromises for DEGH, such as slightly less legroom than other MCE or limited recline?
I just held 20C on this configuration and I'm wondering the same. Is this seat any different than 20D or 20J? Of course, I'd like to get comp'd an upgrade to MCE, but I'd probably grab a window if this seat is the same any other economy seat.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by aaronm23

Thanks!
Row 20 ABC/JKL are standard economy seats. Row 20 DEGH are standard MCE seats. How is that possible?

Its because row 17 AC/JL is staggered slightly behind 17 DEGH due to the exit door. The staggering of these MCE rows are not reflected on the seat map.

The staggering continues until row 20. Because 20 DEGH is a normal MCE seat it then causes the seats to line up with the non-MCE seats in 20 ABC/JKL. From that point backwards the rows line up exactly and are not staggered.
aradisc likes this.

Last edited by dc10forlife; Jul 5, 2019 at 6:03 pm
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Row 20 ABC/JKL are standard economy seats. Row 20 DEGH are standard MCE seats. How is that possible?

Its because row 17 AC/JL is staggered slightly behind 17 DEGH due to the exit door. The staggering of these MCE rows are not reflected on the seat map.

The staggering continues until row 20. Because 20 DEGH is a normal MCE seat it then causes the seats to line up with the non-MCE seats in 20 ABC/JKL. From that point backwards the rows line up exactly and are not staggered.
Huge thanks for the explanation! Puts my mind at ease about potential compromises in 20 DEGH. It might be worth adding this info to the wiki.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Hello all, a lowly GLD here traveling with MrsSlpybear next May to Europe on an O fare in Y for a decent price. Going to EUR first leg is an overnight DFW-LHR AA777-200. I am confused at which thread to post this due to Zodiac/B/E differences. I will post in both and hope for the best.

Looking at the seat selection we chose 25A,C so we can have two seats alone and it looks like maybe a bit of extra space. I also am considering 36 A,C or J,L as with the "tapering" of the plane there is a nice bit of extra space in the Aisle behind aisle seats in 35. I can live with 25 A,C that but request some opinions for those that travel often on this aircraft.

1.) Is MCE 17 A,B at Bulkhead worth an extra $112 a seat? I've used MCE often domestically, but wonder if the benefits are worth it here... Spirits in addition to the complimentary wine and beer already had in Y for int'l flight plus extra legroom. The only good options are the 17 A,B mentioned.

2.) Any opinions/experience in outboard seats for row 36 in Y?

3.) and a question... Will buying up to PE be offered at any point? Was curious because I see it mentioned occasionally here. If so, prior to airport or just at the check in Kiosk?. I would pay an extra $200~$300 for sure.

Thanks in advance...
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Row 29 or 27 JKL

Any opinions on Row 19 or 27 vs other MCE? MRs geepmaley and I are flying on the 25th. Exit row leg room sounds good, but extra tight width from stuff in the armrest doesn't for an overnight flight (MIA to MAD).
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by geepmaley
Any opinions on Row 19 or 27 vs other MCE? MRs geepmaley and I are flying on the 25th. Exit row leg room sounds good, but extra tight width from stuff in the armrest doesn't for an overnight flight (MIA to MAD).
Exit row will have people congregating by the lavs all night long and people will try to do yoga etc. I would not recommend it
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Shameless plug to solicit input... TIA!

Originally Posted by slpybear
Hello all, a lowly GLD here traveling with MrsSlpybear next May to Europe on an O fare in Y for a decent price. Going to EUR first leg is an overnight DFW-LHR AA777-200. I am confused at which thread to post this due to Zodiac/B/E differences. I will post in both and hope for the best.

Looking at the seat selection we chose 25A,C so we can have two seats alone and it looks like maybe a bit of extra space. I also am considering 36 A,C or J,L as with the "tapering" of the plane there is a nice bit of extra space in the Aisle behind aisle seats in 35. I can live with 25 A,C that but request some opinions for those that travel often on this aircraft.

1.) Is MCE 17 A,B at Bulkhead worth an extra $112 a seat? I've used MCE often domestically, but wonder if the benefits are worth it here... Spirits in addition to the complimentary wine and beer already had in Y for int'l flight plus extra legroom. The only good options are the 17 A,B mentioned.

2.) Any opinions/experience in outboard seats for row 36 in Y?

3.) and a question... Will buying up to PE be offered at any point? Was curious because I see it mentioned occasionally here. If so, prior to airport or just at the check in Kiosk?. I would pay an extra $200~$300 for sure.

Thanks in advance...
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:38 am

here's a video walkthrough of the plane to get an idea about some of your questions. It helped put me to ease regarding bulkhead seats (17 row) - I get them free via status but would probably pay 'up' if you really want the space. Remember the 17 row is narrower due to the fixed armrests, but my group is skinny and it's worth the tradeoff to not have someone reclining in my face the entire trip.

Have you called regarding a buy-up to PE? Give them a ring or check your app; American has started offering the option to me lately in-app. It isn't a deal but it's a lot easier.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The real question -- which I can't answer -- is whether any MCE seats will still be available at 24 hours before departure. If they are, then you can select them for free as an AAdvantage Gold member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.