Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777" C37 Super Diamond Main Cabin & Extra MCE (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Boeing 777-200ER
Main Cabin layout

Image: aerolopa.com
Note, seatguru’s seating charts are out of date and should be disregarded.

General information
The Main Cabin layout is standardised across the entire Boeing 777-200ER fleet, so economy seat assignments are protected in the event of an aircraft switching from type 1 to type 2 (or vice versa)

Main Cabin Extra:
Safran (formerly Weber) 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 34" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan the MCE seats are indicated with orange accents

Main Cabin:
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 31" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan these seats are indicated with red accents

Wifi:
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

IFE:
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

Seat observations and recommendations
Row 17: the bulkhead partitions are raised on steel pedestals affording these seats additional foot space
20 DEGH: designated and sold as Main Cabin Extra but beware these seats do not offer additional leg room

Sister threads
As all AA 77Es share identical Main Cabin and MCE layouts, you can also check out the comments and recommendations posted in the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...extra-mce.html thread
Print Wikipost

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777" C37 Super Diamond Main Cabin & Extra MCE (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVG Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
I'm currently booked on one of these birds later this week. For MCE seats, does anyone have any knowledge of whether someone stretching their legs out in 18C or 18J (trying to sleep) is more likely than usual to get disturbed, due to the angle of the aisle as it transitions from MCE to PE? I'm wondering if I should choose 26C or 26J instead.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
The outer 3 seats on either side of row 20 and 29 are being sold as preferred and not MCE. Do they have the extra legroom?

Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by crammer
I'm currently booked on one of these birds later this week. For MCE seats, does anyone have any knowledge of whether someone stretching their legs out in 18C or 18J (trying to sleep) is more likely than usual to get disturbed, due to the angle of the aisle as it transitions from MCE to PE? I'm wondering if I should choose 26C or 26J instead.
Reporting back:

I sat in 18J, and I was able to stretch my legs out without a problem after the first meal service, and did not get disturbed at all by anyone walking by while I was asleep. Because the aisle does a jog between the MCE and PE cabins, you have a good view of the FAs attempting to maneuver heavy drink and food carts between the two cabins. This does not look easy for them, especially since the aisle in MCE is so narrow. I don't think it's possible to skip a meal service and fall asleep in this seat, since you are almost guaranteed to get bumped during the meal service. (This last comment probably applies to any aisle seat in the economy cabin.)

Some other notes:
1. This is the area where bassinets go. I didn't see any other places in the economy cabin for bassinets.
2. There is a missing window in the area of row 18, though in this layout it is misaligned with the row and one can still see out a neighboring window.
3. In front of row 17, there is some extra legroom, and (maybe more importantly) a floor cutout, and so one can stash bags under the (premium economy) seats in front and stretch out legs. I might choose one of ABKL in row 17 in the future just to get away from the aisle. I didn't realize that the bulkhead didn't go all the way down to the floor.
4. The middle armrests between seats JKL of row 18 lift up, while the armrest on the aisle is fixed. The armrests in row 17 are all fixed.
5. As in the other versions, row 26 has a lot of extra legroom, and might be superior to rows 17 and 18. Downside is that it is near the lavatories, there are fixed armrests, and there is no window. Also, the window seat occupant has to deal with the exit-door slide protrusion.
6. At the gate, I asked about a buy up to premium economy, and was quoted $300 (my original booking code was O). I declined.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Reporting back:

Some other notes:
1. This is the area where bassinets go. I didn't see any other places in the economy cabin for bassinets.
2. There is a missing window in the area of row 18, though in this layout it is misaligned with the row and one can still see out a neighboring window.
3. In front of row 17, there is some extra legroom, and (maybe more importantly) a floor cutout, and so one can stash bags under the (premium economy) seats in front and stretch out legs. I might choose one of ABKL in row 17 in the future just to get away from the aisle. I didn't realize that the bulkhead didn't go all the way down to the floor.
4. The middle armrests between seats JKL of row 18 lift up, while the armrest on the aisle is fixed. The armrests in row 17 are all fixed.
5. As in the other versions, row 26 has a lot of extra legroom, and might be superior to rows 17 and 18. Downside is that it is near the lavatories, there are fixed armrests, and there is no window. Also, the window seat occupant has to deal with the exit-door slide protrusion.
6. At the gate, I asked about a buy up to premium economy, and was quoted $300 (my original booking code was O). I declined.
Thanks for the trip report! My family is booked in row 17 ABKL ( I think AA denotes them ACJL) for a trip in June. Good to hear that there is some extra legroom and a floor cutout for 17. Just the kind of intel I was looking for. Thanks again for taking the time to report back!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by BillBurn
Thanks for the trip report! My family is booked in row 17 ABKL ( I think AA denotes them ACJL) for a trip in June. Good to hear that there is some extra legroom and a floor cutout for 17. Just the kind of intel I was looking for. Thanks again for taking the time to report back!
No problem! I think for a group of four, 17ABKL are pretty good. I didn't mention 17DEGH, but these seats have a comparable amount of legroom as 17ABKL as well as the floor cutout, making it possible for a group of four to all sit together.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Reporting back:

I sat in 18J, and I was able to stretch my legs out without a problem after the first meal service, and did not get disturbed at all by anyone walking by while I was asleep. Because the aisle does a jog between the MCE and PE cabins, you have a good view of the FAs attempting to maneuver heavy drink and food carts between the two cabins. This does not look easy for them, especially since the aisle in MCE is so narrow. I don't think it's possible to skip a meal service and fall asleep in this seat, since you are almost guaranteed to get bumped during the meal service. (This last comment probably applies to any aisle seat in the economy cabin.)

Some other notes:
Thanks for the great info. I'm travelling DFW-OGG in August, and booked 17GH (so I have a bassinet for a lap infant) and 18DEGH for the rest of my party. Wasn't sure if 17 had bassinet attachments, so thanks for confirming that it does. Do you happen to know if 17KL has a bassinet attachment, or if row 26 has?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by dtphonehome
Thanks for the great info. I'm travelling DFW-OGG in August, and booked 17GH (so I have a bassinet for a lap infant) and 18DEGH for the rest of my party. Wasn't sure if 17 had bassinet attachments, so thanks for confirming that it does. Do you happen to know if 17KL has a bassinet attachment, or if row 26 has?
Going from memory of my flight more than a week ago:

I think all 8 seats in row 17 can accommodate a bassinet. The four middle seats DEGH definitely can.

As for row 26, I am pretty sure that ABC and JKL cannot accommodate a bassinet since these seats are near the exit door. I'm thinking that DEGH in row 26 also cannot accommodate a bassinet, but I am not 100% positive.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Thank you! I'll just keep the seats I have then... want to be as close to certain as possible that I'll be able to get the one bassinet (!) they load on the plane.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I am booked on one of these DFW-FRA and wished I had researched first the exact nature of the bird. 3-4-3 in Y is terrible.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
FYI fleet site is wrong for N779AN.

It shows Zodiac but I am currently sitting on board and it’s all forward facing BE seats.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Everyone!
So, booked a year out for an 8.5H overnight flight on this one and almost every seat is open. Two of us, so I grabbed 36A/ C for now, as at least rows 36-38 are in two-to-a-row configuration.

I can buy up to MCE for 17 (2-seat row bulkhead) or 26 (3-seat row exit) for $118 per seat each way.....hmmm, $15 an hour for 5 extra inches and a couple of alcoholic drinks (I realize this almost is sounding like a bad dirty joke, but not intended!).

Any other tips from recent fliers since this thread is a year old?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I'm debating between 26 A/L and 26 C/J on a daytime flight to London. Seems to me like the big question is whether I want the exit door protrusion to be able to put a foot up on it or if I want to avoid it. Will I be able to stretch my legs out straight in front of me, or does the door come into the cabin enough that if I would have to shift them and be in my seat-mate's legspace? Does anyone have any data on just how many inches there are between the seat and that exit door?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
So, booked a year out for an 8.5H overnight flight on this one and almost every seat is open. Two of us, so I grabbed 36A/ C for now, as at least rows 36-38 are in two-to-a-row configuration.

I can buy up to MCE for 17 (2-seat row bulkhead) or 26 (3-seat row exit) for $118 per seat each way.....hmmm, $15 an hour for 5 extra inches and a couple of alcoholic drinks (I realize this almost is sounding like a bad dirty joke, but not intended!).

Any other tips from recent fliers since this thread is a year old?
I don't think it's worth it....I booked this plane for DFW-LHR this summer and took 37HJ because it's a two seat and it's me and my wife. We flew in the back on the two seat side from FCO-DFW and it was fine....GREAT having no middle seat and being in the back really wasn't that bad. I actually prefer this plane over the 77W version since AA considers these last few rows of 2 seaters as "preferred" so you have to pay for them, but on the 772, they're just regular seats.
PGHflyer likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Just to follow up, I ended up in 26J on my flight. The leg room was phenomenal (except when a mother and her 2-year-old decided to sit down in the floor space in front of me and play). There was no one in the middle seat, so it was really quite a pleasant flight. The door definitely sticks in for the window seat, but not, in my opinion, enough to reduce the desirability of the seat. In hindsight, I would've preferred the window seat over the aisle because I kept getting bumped by passengers and crew walking up and down.
PGHflyer likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
How much extra legroom does 27 (MCE) have over 20 (non-MCE)? I see that 20 DEGH are MCE, but 20 ABC/JKL are not.

Niece is Gold and going to try to get her MCE seats at T-24. Her and a friend so I'm guessing AB/KL seats are better than DE/GH.

They are underage, so free drinks isn't a factor.

On an award ticket so I can't upgrade them.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.