Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Ticket Refund and Related (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Ticket Refunds and Policies
As of 1 Apr 2016, 24 hour free cancellation, except bookings purchased within seven days of travel, is standard. Tickets purchased within seven days of travel are exempt from 24 hour cancellation policies, per USDOT.

NOTE: Hold can be used when offered. (As of 3 Nov 2016, AA randomly offers free 24 hour hold to those booking travel over seven days out, and some still report being offered up to 7 days hold for $15.99.)

Current refunds policy:

"You have 24 hours to cancel your trip for a full refund if you booked at least 7 days prior to departure. Link to AA Refunds FAQ."
Getting a reservation refunded is a two-step process. First cancel the reservation on aa.com or by calling Reservations, then second request the refund at http://prefunds.aa.com.

For bookings made online, AA may continue to sometimes offer hold for unspecified interim going forward, but 24 hours hold via telephone booking may no longer be granted by agents (though occasional ones might anyway).
update July 2016

AA follows USDOT requirements to the letter:● 24 hour cancellation with refund and no penalty, though

● No free 24-hour cancellations for purchases made within seven days of flying
(except on refundable fares)

● 24 hour hold will be offered for some random (at least to passengers) online bookings for some tickets for an undetermined interim period of time

● Extended hold for pay will still be offered online on many bookings (not within seven days)

● The five day holds for awards remains unaffected, but be aware all awards by non-elites also incur a $75 close in processing fee for 21 days or fewer from booking to flying.

● Awards that are cancelled incur a $150 redeposit fee (and $25 per other awards from the same account), except for Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members.
Fully refundable tickets that are cancelled: fare, fees and taxes will be returned to the original form of payment (FOP).

Nonrefundable tickets that are cancelled voluntarily: AA will generally issue a voucher for the fare, taxes and fees less the change fee described in the detailed fare rules. The voucher may be used for AA flights and other limited purposes. See Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.

Full refunds, even for nonrefundable tickets, may often be made for the full fare, fees and taxes:

"We do not refund nonrefundable American Airlines tickets except when the ticket is cancelled within 24 hours of purchase, when we make a schedule change that results in a change of 61 minutes or more, upon the death of a passenger or passenger's travelling companion or because of military orders. Supporting documentation is required."

Some equipment changes, such as purchasing international First and being changed to a flight without First class, or a domestic F or Business seat is eliminated by substituting a single class Economy cabin, may also allow a full refund.

Don't forget to look at other venues for tickets, such as OTAs, if purchasing within the 7 day window and you would like some hedging protection. Expedia offers 24 hour cancellation on AA itineraries within the 7 day window and many AA itineraries can be held via Expedia Trip Lock (which charges a small fee to hold a fare for 48 hours).

Print Wikipost

AA Ticket Refund and Related (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Does the "cancel trip" option disappear from the reservation itinerary page as an option once the 24-hour time period has elsapsed?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by donb25
Does the "cancel trip" option disappear from the reservation itinerary page as an option once the 24-hour time period has elsapsed?
No, you can still cancel after 24 hours, but most likely won't get a full refund.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
I was yesterday incorrectly charged a $40 telephone booking fee for a JAL redemption, without the agent ever mentioning it. I see the extra charge pending, and it appeared magically on my e-receipt. Annoying.

For the refund on this sort of thing, is it best to call AAdvantage Customer Service or speak to a usual AAgent who deals with award travel? This happened to me years ago, and the agent was clueless—ended up reinstating miles and recharging everything, which gave me a scare. I can’t risk losing this ticket or having any accidental cancelations... who is best placed for this sort of refund?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Just posting an update on the above as a data point, in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation. Called Award Travel, and the AAgent was unclear how to do refund a $40 phone fee, so I asked him to consult a supervisor. The supervisor refunded the $40 successfully. My advice: ask for a supervisor if the partner award booking is still to be live after the refund. Searching through other threads, I see there's a few others who had my previous traumatic experience of an agent just cancelling everything in the refund process.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by rjs11
Earlier today I cancelled a reservation (booked less than 24 hours ago for an itinerary more than 7 days out) that was purchased using AA gift cards. According to the first rep I spoke to, the funds won't be return to the gift cards for at least 20 days. A second rep then said the funds will be refunded to an electronic voucher instead of to the original gift cards used. I searched AA's website and didn't find a clear explanation as to the refund policy when using gift cards. Can someone clarify? Thanks!
Hope this helps someone else. I was emailed new gift cards 12 days after canceling the itinerary.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I have three nonrefundable domestic tickets that I canceled within the last year.

Needing to book an INTL trip soon. I can only use the value of the canceled tickets on domestic trips, though, correct? Just checking to confirm before I cal and try.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
I have three nonrefundable domestic tickets that I canceled within the last year.

Needing to book an INTL trip soon. I can only use the value of the canceled tickets on domestic trips, though, correct? Just checking to confirm before I cal and try.
Called the EXP desk, and after 55 min on the phone with 3 different AAgents, I was able to apply all 3 balances from canceled domestic tickets to a new INTL ticket that I had placed on hold. ^
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Tried to searching for help on this before posting but it was hard to find search terms that didn't return a huge number of results. (cancel return flight credit was what I tried)

I want to fly AUS-LYS (CDG would be ok too) one-way in J on 4/25. The one way prices are much higher ($11k!) than the round trip prices so I was thinking I'd purchase r/t for $4137 on AA (flying BA metal via codeshare) with a return flt on 12/30. If I cancel the return flt after my departing flt how can I determine the residual value that I can use as future credit? The fare rules show a change fee of $500 but it's not clear what the residual credit would be. Best case is $4137 / 2 - $500 = $1568 which I'd be happy with but I know better than to assume that's how it'll work out. As an aside I have a friend that may be able to use the return so I wonder if I could pay the $500 to change the name on the ticket to his and keep the routing?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by rayfes
Tried to searching for help on this before posting but it was hard to find search terms that didn't return a huge number of results. (cancel return flight credit was what I tried)

I want to fly AUS-LYS (CDG would be ok too) one-way in J on 4/25. The one way prices are much higher ($11k!) than the round trip prices so I was thinking I'd purchase r/t for $4137 on AA (flying BA metal via codeshare) with a return flt on 12/30. If I cancel the return flt after my departing flt how can I determine the residual value that I can use as future credit? The fare rules show a change fee of $500 but it's not clear what the residual credit would be. Best case is $4137 / 2 - $500 = $1568 which I'd be happy with but I know better than to assume that's how it'll work out. As an aside I have a friend that may be able to use the return so I wonder if I could pay the $500 to change the name on the ticket to his and keep the routing?
This is not a great strategy. Changes to your routing would likely result in having the entire itinerary repriced using historical fares in effect at the time original ticket was issued--you will not just get a credit toward future travel. Unless you plan to fly back to AUS from Europe or to another destination in the Americas from LYS (creating an open jaw), you will lose the round-trip pricing. Name changes are not permitted either. Otherwise you're probably going to just throw-away the return (not endorsing this strategy, but it's obviously done).

Earning AA points in J looks expensive for your date of travel. If you can stomach PE, there are o/w consolidator fares AUS-LON-LYS in for under $1,300. If J is critical, this might be a good time to take advantage of TP's sale ($1300+ from EWR-LYS and just buy a cheap one-way to NY), but this is a lot less convenient than the BA flight.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Feb 9, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Thank you NYC flyer for the information that the return flight can't be turned into general credit or be transferred to another person even with the original routing (thought I could give it to the friend I'm visiting for him to come to the States).

I appreciate you pointing out the other options. Haven't done PE and I'd consider it more seriously if it saved me travel time but those are still 20 hours.

The Tap Portugal option is interesting and I see the $1300 EWR-LYS J flt on TP's site. When I change the origin to AUS that option disappears for J. I can book a separate Y ticket on UA for cheap but I either have a 90 min layover or 7.5 hr layover. I'd be comfortable with 90 min if this was all on the same itinerary but feels risky as separate record locators

Going to google flights I can get it to add UA AUS-EWR to make this all one record locator but the cost jumps to $2907 since it's adding the UA flt in J which is $1690 (!) by itself. I wish there was a way to make this a single record locator with the UA flt in Y and TP in J. Any idea how to make that happen?

There's a convoluted (AUS-SEA-FRA-LYS) with the long leg on Condor J for only $2100 with an 8 hr layover middle of the day in SEA. 29 hours of travel time but 9a-6p in Seattle wouldn't be bad if I meet up with a friend or do sight seeing. And I've flown their long haul J and despite it being angle flat I slept fine and the service / attitude was wonderful.

Last option is $3142 AUS-ORD-DUB-LYS with the long flt on Aer Lingus in J for $3142 with two 3 hr layovers.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since you are open to flying to Paris, take a look at La Compagnie. They fly Ewr to Orly.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The specific answer here is simple.

If you purchase the OW, it is $11,000.
If you purchase the RT, it is $4,137.
You know that the change fee is $500.

Thus, if you change your ticket so as to cancel the return segment, it will be repriced and a change fee added. The fare difference is $6,683 + 500.00 = $7,363. Thus, no refund or credit if you cancel. Not endorsing throw-away ticketing as a scheme, but if it happens on a one off basis, it's highly unlikely to have consequences.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by rayfes
The Tap Portugal option is interesting and I see the $1300 EWR-LYS J flt on TP's site. When I change the origin to AUS that option disappears for J. I can book a separate Y ticket on UA for cheap but I either have a 90 min layover or 7.5 hr layover. I'd be comfortable with 90 min if this was all on the same itinerary but feels risky as separate record locators

Going to google flights I can get it to add UA AUS-EWR to make this all one record locator but the cost jumps to $2907 since it's adding the UA flt in J which is $1690 (!) by itself. I wish there was a way to make this a single record locator with the UA flt in Y and TP in J. Any idea how to make that happen?
There is a through fare AUS-LYS on TP in J permitting travel via EWR on UA , but 1) It still adds about $1,000 to the EWR-LYS price and 2) min. connecting time is 2:00 hrs on a UA-TP interline at EWR, so you're stuck with the longer layover. This looks like it has be manually priced. TP's reservation center or a travel agent could help you get this.

The other, circuitous/more expensive options on DE or EI. would steer me closer to a PE ticket with a single connection on the BA flights, but YMMV.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
Hope this helps someone else. I was emailed new gift cards 12 days after canceling the itinerary.
what do you term a gift card? Trying to understand if I book a miles ticket and pay the fees with an "E Voucher" and choose to cancel will I get the e voucher back? EXP so no other fees and I'm not trying to extend the date of the voucher just burn certs from Aviator
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by TomMM
Since you are open to flying to Paris, take a look at La Compagnie. They fly Ewr to Orly.
Just be aware that with so few aircraft be prepared when they have crew or mechanical issues. You have to put up a fight to get tickets endorsed to another carrier in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.