Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE for 2016 posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion thread.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2016 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
AA actually has two charts -- an AA chart and a Partners chart. You will want to be looking at the Partners chart because AA itself does not fly between Asia 1 and Asia 2.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...-chart2016.jsp

As surftb15 suggests, I would create a BA account if you don't already have one and search award availability there.
Thanks! For some reason I did not the that a partner chart exists.

One other question... I was wondering if a stopover is allowed on a BA flight? (Booked with AA miles) since American Airlines does not allow stopovers. For an example when I was booking AMS -> KUL, BA site prompted option to stopover at LHR.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by riv3r
Thanks! For some reason I did not the that a partner chart exists.

One other question... I was wondering if a stopover is allowed on a BA flight? (Booked with AA miles) since American Airlines does not allow stopovers. For an example when I was booking AMS -> KUL, BA site prompted option to stopover at LHR.
AA miles bookings follow AA rules. No stopovers allowed.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA miles bookings follow AA rules. No stopovers allowed.
But some flight options offer enough of a layover to give you a day or night in London.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by david4455
But some flight options offer enough of a layover to give you a day or night in London.
Yea, you can get 23.55 hours layover no problem. Even on my next trip to MLE using miles I was able to get on the last CX 747 flight and get 23 hours in Hong kong!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:31 pm

award ticketr north amer./africa?

I am looking to book an aa award ticket iad/jnb on BA. If memory serves me correctly this used to require two separate awards. When I search on aa.com I get availability of iad/lhr/jnb in F for 120,000 miles. Is this correct?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
I suggest you call AA and check inventory on Qatar. I did PHL-DOH-DAR on Qatar using AA miles 2 years ago. Or try the "BA tool" to see if you find any availability first - then call AA.
BA flights using AA miles will add some hefty fuel surcharges
Also, this should be just one award (unless you stop for more than 24 hours)

Last edited by mrtrickdk; Jun 24, 2016 at 3:55 pm Reason: added stop info
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

North America to Africa allows connection in Europe, so is fine as a single award and so is correct at 120,000 miles
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:02 pm

Thanks Dave Noble. I appreciate the quick response.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jmj9905
I am looking to book an aa award ticket iad/jnb on BA. If memory serves me correctly this used to require two separate awards. When I search on aa.com I get availability of iad/lhr/jnb in F for 120,000 miles. Is this correct?
We have a HELP DESK precisely for these questions; we have merged your question into it. Please take a few minutes to read the Wikipost at the top of the page.

/Moderator
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Not sure where to post this.....but since it involves a AA award I'll ask here.

Any chance that the devaluation of the pound today will affect the surcharge BA charges for an AA award? I have an award for next spring that cost me $488 in addition to the miles.

If it does go down.... am I due a refund?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david4455
Not sure where to post this.....but since it involves a AA award I'll ask here.

Any chance that the devaluation of the pound today will affect the surcharge BA charges for an AA award? I have an award for next spring that cost me $488 in addition to the miles.

If it does go down.... am I due a refund?
There's a separate thread all about Brexit effects on AA/BA:
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: AA
AA miles travel help

Hi there! Sorry if this isn't the right subforum.

I am trying (with AA miles) to get from london to detroit august 3rd - 13th (roundtrip)
my issue is with the way there, BA surcharge fees are ridiculous, anyone have a way around that, which wont involve spending even more money?

Thank you
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Simple...just don't include any British Airways flights in your itinerary.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: AA
The issue is that every single flight I found on aa.com leaving london was operated by BA = minimum of 215 dollars (surcharge on top of the miles) for an economy seat
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Welcome to Flyertalk Jalenton!

Any award itinerary involving BA will include those fees so the only way to avoid the fees to avoid BA metal. Unfortunately, in some cases, the BA metal mileage redemption availability is better than the AA metal mileage availability in the lower redemption classes. But you need an AA metal itinerary that works for you in order to avoid the BA charges.

The other (maybe) option to fly a different partner's metal, though this will likely mean flying to the continent and backtracking to LHR. Most of these partners don't appear on AA.com and you would have to call to check availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.