Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How can I book award travel with 2 different accounts?

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, AA

I would like to book award travel for my daughter (12 years old) with my husbands miles and award travel for me using my miles. How will this work? Can I book her by herself and then call american to have the 2 tickets linked?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I can't find the recent thread we had about this.

I think the end result was you have to book your ticket first then call to book the child so they can ensure the child is not unaccompanied.

If I recall, some mention of booking the child's ticket with the wrong birthdate then calling to change after all the tickets are booked came up, but I don't remember what the end result was.

I would call AA and explain the situation. They would give you the best course of action.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't worry about it, just book the tickets. You can deal with the "accompanied" issue as late as the gate in a pinch (but preferably at the check-in counter or lounge).

AA does not require or expect that children be on the same PNR and the adult could be anyone, not even a relative.

While AA can place a note in the PNR notes for each passenger and that is all "linking" does, it is of no value in this situation as the GA will still need to see both of you at the gate and assure that you physically board if the child does.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kbissing
I would like to book award travel for my daughter (12 years old) with my husbands miles and award travel for me using my miles. How will this work? Can I book her by herself and then call american to have the 2 tickets linked?
If this is for roundtrip travel, just book it as one-ways: use your miles for two one-way award tickets in one direction, and use your husband's miles for two one-way award tickets in the other direction.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by guv1976
If this is for roundtrip travel, just book it as one-ways: use your miles for two one-way award tickets in one direction, and use your husband's miles for two one-way award tickets in the other direction.
Nailed it!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
Don't worry about it, just book the tickets. You can deal with the "accompanied" issue as late as the gate in a pinch (but preferably at the check-in counter or lounge).

AA does not require or expect that children be on the same PNR and the adult could be anyone, not even a relative.

While AA can place a note in the PNR notes for each passenger and that is all "linking" does, it is of no value in this situation as the GA will still need to see both of you at the gate and assure that you physically board if the child does.
Originally Posted by guv1976
I recently had to travel with my 4 year old son on a separate pnr. No issues at all except I couldn't check him in online as an "unaccompanied minor".

The best option is using @guv1976 suggestion and book 2 separate one ways. This way you are both connected for IRROPS and check in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.