Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
AA and Alaska Airlines Reduce Partnership Perks Effective 1 Jan 2018

See article by Gary Leff on July 6, 2017 (link)

Effective January 1 2018:
  • AA will only allow EQM-EQS-EQD (and presumably award miles) on American Airlines marketed ("codeshare") flights operated by Alaska Airlines (AS marketed flights will not accrue AA EQM-EQS-EQD)

• "American Airlines elite frequent flyers will no longer receive travel benefits — such as priority check-in, priority boarding, access to preferred seats, and free checked bags — on Alaska Airlines." (Gary Leff)
Note that AA codeshares on AS were reduced by agreement when AS took over VX, not to mention that where AA codeshares are sold, they may cost significantly more than the AS prime flight.

Some current partnership benefits will continue:
  • AAdvantage awards using AS flights will still be allowed.

• Admirals Club members will continue to have Alaska Lounge (formerly Board Room) access with same day travel on an AA or AS marketed and operated flight.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members will also experience a number of changes, according to Gary's article, which includes Alaska's new award chart for ASMP awards on AA. Discussed in the Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan forum thread.

Print Wikipost

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
Bummer. No real good way to reach many places in Montana (MSO, FCA, HLN) now as an AA customer.
I had a trip to FCA recently. UA flies to DEN multiple times per day; DL flies to MSP. Other primary airports in MT does not have AA services as well. In other words, it is impossible to reach MT next year on AA.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by mediator
I had a trip to FCA recently. UA flies to DEN multiple times per day; DL flies to MSP. Other primary airports in MT does not have AA services as well. In other words, it is impossible to reach MT next year on AA.
Not unless you count the seasonal DFW flights or SEA codeshares, but point well-taken.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ntamayo
Not unless you count the seasonal DFW flights or SEA codeshares, but point well-taken.
You are right. Just realized AA flies to BZN and BIL.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there anyway to earn AA miles flying ANC-SEA RT or ANC-PDX RT without a 12+ hour journey?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Is there anyway to earn AA miles flying ANC-SEA RT or ANC-PDX RT without a 12+ hour journey?
Pay for your Alaska Airlines ticket on a card that earns AAdvantage miles?

Unless you're flying on a codeshare flight, I don't see a way to do it. (I don't know if there are AA marketed flights on these routes and how these fare compared to booking the Alaska prime flight number.)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
Pay for your Alaska Airlines ticket on a card that earns AAdvantage miles?

Unless you're flying on a codeshare flight, I don't see a way to do it. (I don't know if there are AA marketed flights on these routes and how these fare compared to booking the Alaska prime flight number.)
No, no codeshares. :-(
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:31 pm

I booked as flight with miles but there's two segments and the first one is operated by aa i have gold with aa and mvp with as if i put my as number on the reservation will i get free bags with aa and because aa is the first segment does the bags fall under them ?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ijones027
I booked as flight with miles but there's two segments and the first one is operated by aa i have gold with aa and mvp with as if i put my as number on the reservation will i get free bags with aa and because aa is the first segment does the bags fall under them ?
The baggage allowance will be on the ticket receipt. What does it say there?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Ijones027

As noted when you asked the question in the AS forum, if your AA FF# is in the AA record, you’ll get the bag fee waiver when you check in with AA.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The baggage allowance will be on the ticket receipt. What does it say there?
Not relevant for status-based bag fee waivers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.