Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
AA and Alaska Airlines Reduce Partnership Perks Effective 1 Jan 2018

See article by Gary Leff on July 6, 2017 (link)

Effective January 1 2018:
  • AA will only allow EQM-EQS-EQD (and presumably award miles) on American Airlines marketed ("codeshare") flights operated by Alaska Airlines (AS marketed flights will not accrue AA EQM-EQS-EQD)

• "American Airlines elite frequent flyers will no longer receive travel benefits such as priority check-in, priority boarding, access to preferred seats, and free checked bags on Alaska Airlines." (Gary Leff)
Note that AA codeshares on AS were reduced by agreement when AS took over VX, not to mention that where AA codeshares are sold, they may cost significantly more than the AS prime flight.

Some current partnership benefits will continue:
  • AAdvantage awards using AS flights will still be allowed.

• Admirals Club members will continue to have Alaska Lounge (formerly Board Room) access with same day travel on an AA or AS marketed and operated flight.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members will also experience a number of changes, according to Gary's article, which includes Alaska's new award chart for ASMP awards on AA. Discussed in the Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan forum thread.

Print Wikipost

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
This is hugely disappointing. As a DC area flyer who loves to go to the West Coast AS was the best bet. There will now be no direct flights to SEA/PDX/SAN that someone can accrue One World miles. I wonder if AA will try to expand its west coast offerings from BWI and IAD based on this decision. Those AS flights were always packed, so there is demand.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by jlb3
There will now be no direct flights to SEA/PDX/SAN that someone can accrue One World miles.
How about Avios https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...-avios/flights

As Avios awards are distance based - even on AS - they are often the best value between the US West Coast and Hawaii, Mexico.

It is a bit of a hassle to book AS award travel with Avios, as it is necessary to call BAEC - but well worth it.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Aliquot
I doubt AS did the picking.

AS has always had more point-to-point routes than the big 3. The only ones that had anything to do with DL were the SLC ones. BOI-GEG, FAI-BRW, ABQ-SNA...etc have nothing to do with DL
^^^

Look more closely; AS has set up focus cities in SAN and SNA, where it is now possible to fly to every Hawaiian island from SAN, not to mention 2x-3x daily flights to SJD, transcons to BOS, BWI, EWR and MCO. They are also now running OO E-175's as the only competition to WN out of SAN to the likes of ABQ, BOI, SJC, SMF, STL, Q400's to destinations like FAT, STS. For those of us based in SAN with LT status on AA, it is not too difficult to earn at least MVP status, keep the best of both worlds.

The VX acquisition allowed AS to accelerate its California growth strategy, unclear how dependent Tilden's plan was on the AA, DL partnerships.

Pass the popcorn, please...
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by diver858
^^^

Look more closely; AS has set up focus cities in SAN and SNA, where it is now possible to fly to every Hawaiian island from SAN, not to mention 2x-3x daily flights to SJD, transcons to BOS, BWI, EWR and MCO. They are also now running OO E-175's as the only competition to WN out of SAN to the likes of ABQ, BOI, SJC, SMF, STL, Q400's to destinations like FAT, STS. For those of us based in SAN with LT status on AA, it is not too difficult to earn at least MVP status, keep the best of both worlds.
Work well for those of us in SJC where they also fly to all of the Hawai'ian islands from SJC and OAK (I think all from here) as well as some of the others you mention, maybe with a stop. And the LT PLT on AA gives us that, as you say.

Cheers.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by jlb3
I wonder if AA will try to expand its west coast offerings from BWI and IAD based on this decision.
No.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:56 pm

How about Avios https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...-avios/flights

As Avios awards are distance based - even on AS - they are often the best value between the US West Coast and Hawaii, Mexico.

It is a bit of a hassle to book AS award travel with Avios, as it is necessary to call BAEC - but well worth it.
But in terms of reaching status, it doesn't really make sense to try to do it on BAEC when you live in America.

I don't see why the need to only consider options on AS, when you can fly UA/HA to Hawaii and WN up and down the west coast.

Basically, if flying AS doesn't help you build status, why not just be a free agent on those routes that AA doesn't serve?

I would much rather be on a HA A321NEO to Hawaii than AS B739ER. The seat is wider, plane is newer and you get better service.

I wonder if AA will try to expand its west coast offerings from BWI and IAD based on this decision.
Not happening.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang
I don't see why the need to only consider options on AS, when you can fly UA/HA to Hawaii
HA only offers SAN nonstop to HNL; all other islands, carriers require connections, while AS offers nonstop to ALL islands.

and WN up and down the west coast.
Who in their RIGHT MIND would CHOOSE WN over AS - open seating hot mess, no first class / Y+, or elite priority boarding. I earned WN A-list status intra-California for several years, moved to AS when they added competing service from SAN, haven't looked back.

Basically, if flying AS doesn't help you build status, why not just be a free agent on those routes that AA doesn't serve?
MVP is a slam dunk at 20k miles, particularly with EQM bonuses for paid F, status on AS earns free upgrades to Y+ and sometimes F.

I would much rather be on a HA A321NEO to Hawaii than AS B739ER. The seat is wider, plane is newer and you get better service.
Agree if HA flew to KOA and OGG, offered nonstop transcons out of SAN. I also end up either paying for discount F, upgrade due to status or GGU, which beats Y on HA A321NEO by a longshot.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:46 pm

But in terms of reaching status, it doesn't really make sense to try to do it on BAEC when you live in America.
OP asked about earning OW miles on direct flights to SEA/PDX/SAN, I was simply stating that Avios can be earned on AS flights, offers significant value for some. There was no mention of reaching status.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:26 pm

HA only offers SAN nonstop to HNL; all other islands, carriers require connections, while AS offers nonstop to ALL islands.

Who in their RIGHT MIND would CHOOSE WN over AS - open seating hot mess, no first class / Y+, or elite priority boarding. I earned WN A-list status intra-California for several years, moved to AS when they added competing service from SAN, haven't looked back.

MVP is a slam dunk at 20k miles, particularly with EQM bonuses for paid F, status on AS earns free upgrades to Y+ and sometimes F.

Agree if HA flew to KOA and OGG, offered nonstop transcons out of SAN. I also end up either paying for discount F, upgrade due to status or GGU, which beats Y on HA A321NEO by a longshot.
OP asked about earning OW miles on direct flights to SEA/PDX/SAN, I was simply stating that Avios can be earned on AS flights, offers significant value for some. There was no mention of reaching status.
B6 has the best Y/Y+ product, seat selection and elite priority boarding, but people clearly still fly other airlines out of Boston. So I don't see why selecting WN with its own pluses like a great network/schedule with free luggage is so bad.

As for AS status, they don't fly to may international locations and offer lie flats. So while upgrades are good, it seems like only looking at AS options in order to achieve status level when picking your flights leaves out other good options when their network isn't the best out of most cities. For example, flying mint to JFK/BOS out of SAN is better value than flying AS FC.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:57 pm

B6 has the best Y/Y+ product, seat selection and elite priority boarding, but people clearly still fly other airlines out of Boston.
B6 may work for someone based in BOS, not so much for someone like me, based in SAN, who would like to earn upgrades on nonstops to Hawaii.

So I don't see why selecting WN with its own pluses like a great network/schedule with free luggage is so bad.
1. WN has NO interline agreements, which can result in MAJOR complications during IROPS.
2. Free luggage can be had on ANY carrier with their credit card
3. Inability to select seats in advance, upgrade to Y+ or F on WN is a dealbreaker for me (6'2" tall).

As for AS status, they don't fly to may international locations and offer lie flats.
That is why they AS (and B6) maintains an extensive list of international partners. I also have LT PLT status on AA --> OW to fall back on.

So while upgrades are good, it seems like only looking at AS options in order to achieve status level when picking your flights leaves out other good options when their network isn't the best out of most cities. For example, flying mint to JFK/BOS out of SAN is better value than flying AS FC.
B6 does not offer Mint service SAN-BOS, FLL; and as mentioned above, their SAN network does not match my requirements very well.

When was the last time you tried to take an earlier flight, or were trying to modify plans during IROPS. I have been in those situations enough to believe that status / loyalty MATTERS.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXPLT; AS 75k; B6 Mosaic; UA Gold; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott/SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ty97
I hate going to EWR and avoid it as much as possible, but the getting from EWR to Manhattan via mass transit isn't horribly dreadful, as long as you don't come in very late at night (and as long as trains aren't derailing in Penn Station, which just happened again, and as long as emergency repairs aren't happening in Penn Station, which will be occurring starting Monday, etc, etc. But in theory, it's not bad!)
I dunno... EWR is kind of the armpit of the universe. Then again, I might be biased having been trapped in an AirTrain car whose doors spontaneously decided to fail and where the engineering group couldn't get the "manual overrides to work" today. Honestly, EWR makes the MTA look like Ethiad premium product.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:40 pm

B6 may work for someone based in BOS, not so much for someone like me, based in SAN, who would like to earn upgrades on nonstops to Hawaii.

1. WN has NO interline agreements, which can result in MAJOR complications during IROPS.
2. Free luggage can be had on ANY carrier with their credit card
3. Inability to select seats in advance, upgrade to Y+ or F on WN is a dealbreaker for me (6'2" tall).

That is why they AS (and B6) maintains an extensive list of international partners. I also have LT PLT status on AA --> OW to fall back on.

B6 does not offer Mint service SAN-BOS, FLL; and as mentioned above, their SAN network does not match my requirements very well.

When was the last time you tried to take an earlier flight, or were trying to modify plans during IROPS. I have been in those situations enough to believe that status / loyalty MATTERS.
B6 starts mint service BOS-SAN in December.

My point wasn't that you should pick B6, but rather plenty of people have picked an airline without the "best hard product" as their go to airline. For someone with kids and needing to checking in luggages, WN is a life saver. Also WN has enough frequency on so many routes out in the west coast that they don't need to put their passengers on other airlines.

Imo, the most valuable part of AA status are:
1) being able to get free upgrade on premium transcon
2) Use SWU or paid upgrades on international flights
3) Lounge access at Oneworld airlines outside of America
4) The occasional unexpected free upgrades by Oneworld airline (has happened to me 3 times the past year)

These bring tremendous extra value that a program like AS simply can't provide. In your case, it seems like you already get lounge access and other Oneworld benefits with LT PLT status, so AS does sound like the best option for you . But not everyone has LT PLT status and go to Hawaii for vacation.

But if you fly internationally a lot, then getting status with AA or UA is a better way to go. Or if you do a lot of intra-california flying, WN is the most convenient. Or you can do free agency.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
2) Use SWU or paid upgrades on international flights
Have you tried using SWU in the past year or so and looked at availability? We had a flight with J7 and 16 (or more) open seats that barely cleared outside T-24. Does it still happen earlier? Probably. But it is on the serious decline to the point of no longer being much of a positive.

Cheers.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:36 am

Also WN has enough frequency on so many routes out in the west coast that they don't need to put their passengers on other airlines.
Talk to someone who have been left stranded for days by WN at SFO or MDW during IROPS, WX. Tough to find space for ~150 people from a cancelled flight when most everything is already fully booked / oversold.

I recently missed the last flight to SAN from DFW due to WX, ended up on a flight to LAX (thanks to my LT PLT status), was not looking forward to the late night, 2+ hour drive to SAN after a long week on the road. To my pleasant surprise, the AE LAX GA greeted me with a BP on the late UA flight to SAN.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:16 pm

As with brp, I may be in the camp of status-matching, as my priorities are the following out of SJC as a LT PLT:
  • PNW travel, mainly GEG/YVR
  • Seat selection: much of our travel plans are last-minute, usually leaving only elite-status seats available online
  • Board Room access with Admirals Club membership
  • Partner elite check-in
  • Priority boarding: still able to board early with a little one and gate-checked stroller, but not for long when the stroller is no longer needed.

Mostly affected for me will be elite seat selection and check-in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.