Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
AA and Alaska Airlines Reduce Partnership Perks Effective 1 Jan 2018

See article by Gary Leff on July 6, 2017 (link)

Effective January 1 2018:
  • AA will only allow EQM-EQS-EQD (and presumably award miles) on American Airlines marketed ("codeshare") flights operated by Alaska Airlines (AS marketed flights will not accrue AA EQM-EQS-EQD)

• "American Airlines elite frequent flyers will no longer receive travel benefits — such as priority check-in, priority boarding, access to preferred seats, and free checked bags — on Alaska Airlines." (Gary Leff)
Note that AA codeshares on AS were reduced by agreement when AS took over VX, not to mention that where AA codeshares are sold, they may cost significantly more than the AS prime flight.

Some current partnership benefits will continue:
  • AAdvantage awards using AS flights will still be allowed.

• Admirals Club members will continue to have Alaska Lounge (formerly Board Room) access with same day travel on an AA or AS marketed and operated flight.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members will also experience a number of changes, according to Gary's article, which includes Alaska's new award chart for ASMP awards on AA. Discussed in the Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan forum thread.

Print Wikipost

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by brp
it may be time to status match on AS, maintain 75K MVP there and fall back to LT Plat (both of us) on AA
That's pretty much where I already am, with my EXP status withering away. With the reduction of systemwides, plus the rolling revenue factor in play for domestic upgrades, on top of the $12,000 spend (and I know there's some workarounds there, but none really worked for me), AA just isn't the perfect fit after 17 years at EXP. I made the move to Alaska as my primary carrier in January. I'm fortunate to have lifetime status at both UA (1MM Gold) and AA (2MM Platinum) as backup carriers, though this years flights have gone to either AA or Alaska.

I do plan to credit some international to AA still, primarily Europe, as there will be less Alaska miles in play next year when only the AA international flight will accrue Alaska miles. In that direction lounge access plus MCE seats have me leaning towards crediting to AA if I plan to fly AA/BA. I can make Australia/Asia work with Alaska's partners in that directions nonstop from SFO (Qantas, Cathay, Korean primarily-- just did a Qantas trip in May).

If you're going to do an Alaska status match wait until October 1 or that status will expire at the end of 2017.

My expectation, when I did the status match from AA to Alaska, was that Virgin America routes would work better for me, so have been stuck in VX coach waiting for "enhancements" to come. We're told "summer" for elite seating, so may be getting closer. Don't think comped upgrades are in the plans for this year. Early boarding and free checked bags are already in place.

Don't overlook Alaska's SJC-EWR. Have cleared every upgrade on that route and the early departure time lets me avoid commute traffic to get down there.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911

Don't overlook Alaska's SJC-EWR. Have cleared every upgrade on that route and the early departure time lets me avoid commute traffic to get down there.
Not overlooking at all. I'd actually already been eyeing that one. The price for F was high, but your upgrade experience is heartening. I've heard that the ride into NYC from EWR is less than pleasant (and LGA is fabulous). Also, no Centurion Lounge in EWR. Still, the non-stop from SJC is very, very nice.

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang
I was able to try out CX's Pier first class lounge last weekend, which to me is worth $100+ in value. I got ugpraded to first class from business class on HKG to SIN just because their FC had availability.
Your profile is very different than mine. In 26 years of elite level flying, I've not bought a single business class ticket. I'm self funded. AA worked great for 17 years at the EXP level for me, but Cathay in particular does not accrue any AA miles in deep discount economy, the class you'd see me in.

I will miss both the Qantas and Cathay F lounges at HKG, having been in both of them the last few months, but it's not realistic for me to ramp up AA spending just for lounge access and four systemwides. My main focus is redeemable miles and Alaska has been working better for me this year in terms of bringing those in. A typical advance purchase $300 SFO-JFK brings me over 11,000 miles on Alaska and 2750 miles on AA. I can get over the lounge access and systemwides which don't clear until a day or two out for the extra redeemable miles.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by brp
I've heard that the ride into NYC from EWR is less than pleasant (and LGA is fabulous).
I hate going to EWR and avoid it as much as possible, but the getting from EWR to Manhattan via mass transit isn't horribly dreadful, as long as you don't come in very late at night (and as long as trains aren't derailing in Penn Station, which just happened again, and as long as emergency repairs aren't happening in Penn Station, which will be occurring starting Monday, etc, etc. But in theory, it's not bad!)
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
So, as long as Business As Usual isn't happening in NYC, I'm all good?

(I was born there almost 57 years ago and go back frequently...it hasn't changed a bit in that regard...)

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by brp
So, as long as Business As Usual isn't happening in NYC, I'm all good?

(I was born there almost 57 years ago and go back frequently...it hasn't changed a bit in that regard...)

Cheers.
Pretty much! It's the same tracks, stations, and signals that were probably in use when you were born
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:58 pm

Your profile is very different than mine. In 26 years of elite level flying, I've not bought a single business class ticket. I'm self funded. AA worked great for 17 years at the EXP level for me, but Cathay in particular does not accrue any AA miles in deep discount economy, the class you'd see me in.

I will miss both the Qantas and Cathay F lounges at HKG, having been in both of them the last few months, but it's not realistic for me to ramp up AA spending just for lounge access and four systemwides. My main focus is redeemable miles and Alaska has been working better for me this year in terms of bringing those in. A typical advance purchase $300 SFO-JFK brings me over 11,000 miles on Alaska and 2750 miles on AA. I can get over the lounge access and systemwides which don't clear until a day or two out for the extra redeemable miles.
Thanks for your perspective, I agree that AS would make a lot more sense from your front.

I'm unlikely to get any work paid long range business trips going forward and I have no interest in flying AS, so I guess I will have to get really creative next year.

My expectation, when I did the status match from AA to Alaska, was that Virgin America routes would work better for me, so have been stuck in VX coach waiting for "enhancements" to come. We're told "summer" for elite seating, so may be getting closer. Don't think comped upgrades are in the plans for this year. Early boarding and free checked bags are already in place.

Unfortunately with AS taking away the nice FC on VX, there won't be any difference between VX's FC and AS's FC.

I hate going to EWR and avoid it as much as possible, but the getting from EWR to Manhattan via mass transit isn't horribly dreadful, as long as you don't come in very late at night (and as long as trains aren't derailing in Penn Station, which just happened again, and as long as emergency repairs aren't happening in Penn Station, which will be occurring starting Monday, etc, etc. But in theory, it's not bad!)
Yep, with all the repairs going on for the next while, not the best time to fly into EWR right now.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang
Unfortunately with AS taking away the nice FC on VX, there won't be any difference between VX's FC and AS's FC.
That may be a positive in the long term. The Alaska 737-800/900s I've been on have 12-16 F seats. When the Virgin America aircraft are converted to the Alaska configuration, much better chances at upgrades as an Alaska flyer. I'm at 95% this year on Alaska metal. The fleet conversion can't happen soon enough for me, though I don't know if those Virgin aircraft are leased or owned and when the new seating configuration will appear. Not expecting any changes this year.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One change coming to AS is going from 36" pitch in F to 42", iirc. That will be welcome.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
I was starting to take Sna-Sjc pretty regularly, enough so that it mattered for status qualification. No codeshare on that route. Not surprised but pretty disappointed.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by brp
As to the upgrade experience - I will compare AS on Hawai'i routes favorably against just about any AA domestic route for F.

So, while the AS program can't provide these things, the AA program provides them in diminishing numbers, and the differences between EXP and PLT are shrinking, especially if one is buying premium cabin.

But, yes, AA will still work for many.

Cheers.
AS has done a solid job in adding frequencies to the Hawaiian Islands. From the West Coast there are many options, and with the 73H there's 12 seats with a 42" pitch (all converted). More legroom, and less passengers to compete with. Sure, I wish they used Koloa Mai Tai Mix (Have written in before ) but enjoy the island flair with service.

That may be a positive in the long term. The Alaska 737-800/900s I've been on have 12-16 F seats. When the Virgin America aircraft are converted to the Alaska configuration, much better chances at upgrades as an Alaska flyer. I'm at 95% this year on Alaska metal. The fleet conversion can't happen soon enough for me, though I don't know if those Virgin aircraft are leased or owned and when the new seating configuration will appear. Not expecting any changes this year.
VX F=no complimentary upgrade AS F=complimentary upgrade (space available).

And the E175's are a nice product... 12 in F and 64 in Y. How about that for a ratio?

Originally Posted by JDiver
One change coming to AS is going from 36" pitch in F to 42", iirc. That will be welcome.
41" to 42" depending on the config. 73H is 42" and 41" on the 739/ER. It makes a vast difference- row 1 is tolerable

All 73H's have been reconfigured, and the 739/ER's are making solid progress. (64.7% as of July 5) Fun tip: 73J is the reconfig'd model in EF.

And yes, I was referencing a hypothetical AS flown SEA-CLT.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:43 am

While that may the case. On a flight from SJC-EWR that I was commenting about, having 55 inch seat vs 42 inch seat make a big difference in comfort level. Much bigger difference than vs 38 to 40 inch FC on AA. Or even vs EMS on B6 E90.

VX F=no complimentary upgrade AS F=complimentary upgrade (space available).

And the E175's are a nice product... 12 in F and 64 in Y. How about that for a ratio?
I believe that's also the case for AA.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by beckoa
Is there a SEA-CLT route announcement on the horizon?
That would be nice!

Safe travels
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I was in this camp as well. Does anyone know if it will be possible to split FF#s on a journey with both a domestic and international AA-operated leg?
Advice given over at the Alaska forum would be to fly the itinerary using your Alaska number, and then after the international segment has been credited, and the domestic one rejected, send the domestic segment to American for retroactive credit.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by brp
Not overlooking at all. I'd actually already been eyeing that one. The price for F was high, but your upgrade experience is heartening. I've heard that the ride into NYC from EWR is less than pleasant (and LGA is fabulous). Also, no Centurion Lounge in EWR. Still, the non-stop from SJC is very, very nice.

Cheers.
AS has done a TERRIBLE job negotiating gate locations in BOS and EWR - cramp spaces, poor PA systems, little in the way of amenities. EWR-SJC leaves before 6 pm, there should still be TSA Pre-Check available - not the case for the 6:59 pm departure of EWR-SAN. Admiral's Club is not busy in the evening, but Citi Prestige has been useless with an AS boarding pass...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.