Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Changing FFN / Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Changing FFN / Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
Bit of a further question on this. I currently have my Cathay gold card in my booking, for free seat selection and luggage. Will I be able to change to FF number at the airport to BA as I would like to collect avios (one way flight only). If not it isn't a major worry as I will only lose 1500 avios and I think I should get sufficient tier points from other flights to reach ba bronze.
Ever get an answer to this? I've done something similar, using AB status to get free / exit row seats. Would like to switch back to AA if possible. In my case it's only 898 miles, not going to lose sleep over it and would rather keep the legroom if I must choose.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
Bit of a further question on this. I currently have my Cathay gold card in my booking, for free seat selection and luggage. Will I be able to change to FF number at the airport to BA as I would like to collect avios (one way flight only). If not it isn't a major worry as I will only lose 1500 avios and I think I should get sufficient tier points from other flights to reach ba bronze.
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Ever get an answer to this? I've done something similar, using AB status to get free / exit row seats. Would like to switch back to AA if possible. In my case it's only 898 miles, not going to lose sleep over it and would rather keep the legroom if I must choose.
You should both have no problem changing it at the airport. BA numbers tend to have a 'sticky effect' (and possibly other FFPs), but if it's been changed at the airport and shows on your boarding pass, they'll generally fix it if anything goes awry.

Just as a side note, I've had my FFP changed after flying the entire trip simply because I've changed my mind, never having asked in advance. As long as you get an amenable agent, you can get the miles recredited to your airline of choice. If an agent says no, HUACA.

I am still interested in finding out whether one can credit half a trip to one program and half to another.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
That would be a better question for AB and whether they care if you used AB status to avoid the exit row fee, but aren't using that account for earning.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Also wondering if there's a work around that can be done online. Using AS status
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bhamsan01
Also wondering if there's a work around that can be done online. Using AS status
I would think you would want to do this at the late as possible..... at the gate, possibly, to avoid possible seat loss.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
I would think you would want to do this at the late as possible..... at the gate, possibly, to avoid possible seat loss.
Good tip. Might just keep the AS number on the reservation. Flight gets 50% bonus of AS miles as opposed to no bonus on AA. Reason to credit to AA would be that AA balance is close to getting enough for a transpac award, while AS balance is at 0 (status matched AA Gold a month ago).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
How do I change a wrong FF number

I used to have an FF number long time ago (10+yrs). Haven't flown on AA all these times. So I recently flew on Etihad and seeing they are alliance partners with AA, I gave them my number. However, looking for the miles to post, I found that this number wouldn't show up. So I went to their help online and requested for my number. And I got back a new number.

So from my flight from LAX to DEL is on the old number. Am returning in a week. I assuming that I can give them this new number. The question is will they transfer the miles from the outbound miles to the new number. Or have I lost it all. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Contact AA Customer Service via the web post, give them all the info (name, new #, old #, flights) and ask them to consolidate the account.

if it's been inactive for 10 years, it probably has been archived with zero miles and they'll just update the 1st flight with the new # to give you credit for it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by duniawala
I used to have an FF number long time ago (10+yrs). Haven't flown on AA all these times. So I recently flew on Etihad and seeing they are alliance partners with AA, I gave them my number. However, looking for the miles to post, I found that this number wouldn't show up. So I went to their help online and requested for my number. And I got back a new number.

So from my flight from LAX to DEL is on the old number. Am returning in a week. I assuming that I can give them this new number. The question is will they transfer the miles from the outbound miles to the new number. Or have I lost it all. Thanks for any help you can give.
Was the new number a replacement number for the same account? In which case are you sure the miles won't show up in the new account? Otherwise, I would try retroactively requesting the miles to the new account. If they successfully credited to the old account though and you just can't access them, you may be out of luck. It's difficult to predict, not knowing exactly why you couldn't access the old account.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Thanks. Will contact AA via web. When I try to access the old account it says there is no such account.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I have a coach int'l AA award travel reservation booked on US metal. I have no status at AA, but I do have other oneworld sapphire status. I know when I use Avios miles to fly on US, I go to Finnair.com to change my ff number, and I can get preferred seats as a oneworld elite. But neither the US nor AA confirmation code works on Finnair. Is there any DIY way to change the AA ff number in the record to another oneworld number?

If I have to call, should I call AA or US? From the above discussion, that doesn't seem to always work, either.

BTW, is there any downside (like potential confusion) from swapping out an AA ff number in an AA award reservation?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:26 am

None of the older options seem to work to change a booked AA flight FFP to another (in my case AirBerlin). I have tried calling in to do it and that doesn't seem to work. Any options other than at the airport when arriving for the flight?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
With my recent AA award flights on QF, QF reservations (or the check in agent) had no trouble inserting my QF FF number and adjusting my seating to reflect the higher QF status.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Frequent Flyer number changes

Couple quick questions regarding frequent flyer numbers. I'd like to credit to Alaska and use my Alaska status on an upcoming flight - it's booked and ticketed through AA, I see no way to alter my AA FF #, will I need to call in to do this?

I have the same question regarding another flight, but that flight has upgrades processed already using my AA miles. Is this possible? Can a gate agent or lounge agent change this? Can it be changed per segment or will I need to update the entire trip in advance? I don't want to cause any issues with the upgrade / seating assignments.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
If you have any benefits granted due to existing program (using miles, getting an upgrade, etc.) then changing the FF number should not be allowed. There needs to be a tie back to the account and the systems do not have the ability to say pay for this benefit with x, pay for that benefit with y, but credit to z. This is such a corner case to not be surprised it's not allowed.

You might be able to flash your membership at the airport to get early boarding or maybe a better seat selection. I wouldn't expect much more than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.