Ticketing bait-and-switch - options?

Old Jul 5, 17, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Ticketing bait-and-switch - options?

I recently booked DUS-LHR-CLT-MCO return on the AA website. I was in business for the DUS-LHR legs but after I hit confirm I was put in Y. Called yesterday and was told I could remain in Y or get a refund (there's no availability in business). Is there anything I can do here? Seems like there was phantom business availability but it's also a blatant bait-and-switch.
Old Jul 5, 17, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patgarrett View Post
I recently booked DUS-LHR-CLT-MCO return on the AA website. I was in business for the DUS-LHR legs but after I hit confirm I was put in Y. Called yesterday and was told I could remain in Y or get a refund (there's no availability in business). Is there anything I can do here? Seems like there was phantom business availability but it's also a blatant bait-and-switch.
Cash money or award?
Old Jul 5, 17, 4:22 am

Programs: AA EP
Yu needed to check the infdvidual segments to ensure they were in a j bucket. Take the refund. Could also try escalating it before ur 24 refund runs out.

Old Jul 5, 17, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
It's not bait and switch. It is related to what is available when you actually confirm the booking. AA doesn't control what shows up for the other carrier.
Either take the refund or seat in economy. This doesn't sound like something you should get compensation for.
Did you pay a Business Class fare? Is it business for the other segments. I don't know about your DUS-LHR leg, but in many cases, intra-Europe business class seating is economy seating with the middle seat empty.
Old Jul 5, 17, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Take the refund whilst it is still easy to do so. It would seem like a mistake for 1 sector to be in business class. Even so, difference between economy and business on that flight is very minor
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:55 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Airline Agnostic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
It's not bait and switch. It is related to what is available when you actually confirm the booking. AA doesn't control what shows up for the other carrier.
Either take the refund or seat in economy. This doesn't sound like something you should get compensation for.

+1

The culprit is .... drum roll please...... BA!!!! Quel surprise!

I had a similar feeling, and subsequent discussion with AA on a trip MrsDallas49er is taking to OTP.

On a full J ticket, the itnerary DFW-LHR-OTP-LHR-DFW was pricing at one price, unavailable at time of purchase, but available for $200 more.

Upon further review, turns out it was one of the BA fares that was now "no longer available" for what she wanted. Still showing on the web site, but unavailable in real life.

Many thanks to the EXP desk for solving the mystery, and another gigantic to BA, again.
Old Jul 5, 17, 8:34 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA GOLD
The OP may have been booked on an Air Berlin codeshare for DUS-LHR instead of British Airways. Air Berlin doesn't offer business class on flights to the U.K. AFAIK (only select EU destinations, and relatively new in general)
Old Jul 5, 17, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
I had a similar feeling, and subsequent discussion with AA on a trip MrsDallas49er is taking to OTP.

On a full J ticket, the itnerary DFW-LHR-OTP-LHR-DFW was pricing at one price, unavailable at time of purchase, but available for $200 more.

Upon further review, turns out it was one of the BA fares that was now "no longer available" for what she wanted. Still showing on the web site, but unavailable in real life.

Many thanks to the EXP desk for solving the mystery, and another gigantic to BA, again.
What was BA's website quoting for the journey? If it was correct, then the issue would seem to be in AA's court for quoting something that was unavailble , rather than being BA's fault
Old Jul 5, 17, 9:51 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
What was BA's website quoting for the journey? If it was correct, then the issue would seem to be in AA's court for quoting something that was unavailble , rather than being BA's fault
The fare in question (LHR-OTP on BA metal) was showing available, according to EXP on both sites, until booking, then unavailable.

So who's the villain?
Old Jul 5, 17, 9:56 am

The fare in question (LHR-OTP on BA metal) was showing available, according to EXP on both sites, until booking, then unavailable.

So who's the villain?
Did you see it yourself as available trying to book directly from BA rather than when trying to book through AA? AA agents would have been booking through AA in its system ; I would be surprised if the agents went off to a BA website and trying there
Old Jul 5, 17, 10:04 am

What is the actual fare? Can you provide a screenshot/replicate what you thought you were booking, versus what you actually got?
Old Jul 5, 17, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Quel surprise!
C'est "Quelle surprise". Quel dommage.
Old Jul 5, 17, 10:15 am

Doing a test for DUS-MCO in October, the AA site is showing ( as an example ) AA6503 - AA57 both

Main Cabin
Meals: Snacks (for a fee)
Booking code: S
Class: Economy

Business
Meals: Served
Booking code: R
Class: Business

for the DUS-LHR sector and

Main Cabin
Meals: Snacks (for a fee)
Booking code: S
Class: Economy

Business
Meals: Served
Booking code: D
Class: Business

for the other 2 sectors when selecting economy class

When selecting the business class fare , it only shows R and D classes. Seems odd that it would show both classes in economy selection, but the heading of column indicates economy. Going through the booking, it also shows economy class in seat selection

At the final page before paying for it, it also states economy for the class of service

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 5, 17 at 10:21 am
Old Jul 5, 17, 6:12 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Did you see it yourself as available trying to book directly from BA rather than when trying to book through AA? AA agents would have been booking through AA in its system ; I would be surprised if the agents went off to a BA website and trying there
Be surprised.

Short answer: Yes.

Any longer answer to that question: Not worth my time.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jul 5, 17 at 7:07 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: