Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads up re: Spain (MAD, BCN etc.) - Long passport / security queues Jun 2017 onward

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
In BCN they have started using both D and B gates. For D gates, the passport control is the miserable one right after security (left turn). For B gates, the passport control is right ahead of the gate. Flying to PHL today, they opened passport control at 12:05 and it nearly took an hour to get everyone through and then onto the plane.

I've only ever flown out of the D gates with AA and BA, so today was a new experience (may be familiar to some). We couldn't find the other lounge to save our life, so we just waited it out after the long walk to the end of B gates.

Both security and passport controls that I saw were running at a good clip, no unreasonable delay like I've seen in the past.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Kreative03
In BCN they have started using both D and B gates. For D gates, the passport control is the miserable one right after security (left turn). For B gates, the passport control is right ahead of the gate. Flying to PHL today, they opened passport control at 12:05 and it nearly took an hour to get everyone through and then onto the plane.
I wonder what the situation is for the E gates (I have an upcoming QR flight that left from an E gate today, according to EF).
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by anabolism
I wonder what the situation is for the E gates (I have an upcoming QR flight that left from an E gate today, according to EF).
D and E share passport control gates. Usually only the D side is open, but they are connected airside.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by andox
D and E share passport control gates. Usually only the D side is open, but they are connected airside.
Thanks for clarifying. So, it's best to allow an extra hour or so for passport control when leaving from a D or E gate?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...OUR-hours.html
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Ugh...I'm going to be in MAD & PMI in late September. I hope things get better than the pictures I'm seeing in PMI in that article!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm dreading my return to JFK from BCN this coming Monday.....ugh. It leaves at 10am so maybe I have a chance of missing the crowds? One can hope.....
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
The Mail is renowned for it's anti-European stance so will tend to exaggerate any problems. Here's the Guardian's take which is, perhaps, less sensationalist. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...opean-airports

Perhaps those soon to travel through MAD or BCN could provide their feedback here on what is actually happening?

Last edited by johnash; Aug 2, 2017 at 6:31 am Reason: Modified anti Mail sentiment!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I traveled to Spain twice in July. No issues. Once MAD and once BCN.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Friends flew home from BCN this weekend. They arrived at the airport at 7:30 and only made it to the gate well after boarding had started for their 10:00 am flight.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:42 am

https://cronicaglobal.elespanol.com/...79486_102.html

Security checkpoint workers in BCN have notified the relevant government body that they are going in full strike starting mid August, for an indefinite period. The government has the right to establish a minimum service schedule for the workers, but expect this to be contested in courts.

So brace for impact if going to BCN.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:48 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Can someone help me understand? Based on the daily mail article is the queue only applied for UK passport holders leaving EU airport? I'm not familiar with the setup, are there other channels for EU passport holders and say other US passport holders arriving or departing?

Thanks
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Can someone help me understand? Based on the daily mail article is the queue only applied for UK passport holders leaving EU airport? I'm not familiar with the setup, are there other channels for EU passport holders and say other US passport holders arriving or departing?

Thanks
From what I understand, two things have recently changed:

1) UK citizens (who are in the EU but not in Schengen) used to be able to enter and exit with just a visual scan of their passport page by an Immigration officer.
Now, they are required to have their passport info checked by computer, which has been complicated by:

2) There is a new computer system for checking all non-Schengen citizens on both arrival and exit, which requires scanning more than one database (three, I think). This new system is SLOW!

When I left BCN in early June, there was only one Immigration officer at the gates for flights departing to non-Schengen countries, and her computer system did not have a passport scanner so she had to enter all the information manually, then wait for the computer to respond, which took about 15 - 20 seconds after she had entered the info. I was in the line for an hour and ended up boarding at departure time. There were 50 - 70 people in the line behind me but AA held the flight (to JFK) and we left about 30 minutes late.

When I left MAD in early July, there was a separate lane for EU passports including those of UK, which were visually scanned only (taking seconds) but seemed to be contrary to the new regulations.

The reason why the UK papers (and travellers) are so riled up about it, is that they have been accustomed to quick visual scans, but now have to queue up with all the non-EU citizens for full computer checks. Because UK travellers are probably a majority of non-Schengen travellers to/from Spain, especially during this busy summer school holiday period, it means that Immigration staff at the airports are overwhelmed.

Good luck!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Thanks for clarifying. So, it's best to allow an extra hour or so for passport control when leaving from a D or E gate?
Update: Flew in to BCN in July on a Friday, landed around 6:30 PM. Arrivals passport queue was pretty quick. Flew out on QR to DOH midweek in the early evening. Got to the airport early. Passport queue for D/E gates was long, but only because there was a choke-point everyone was funneled through. Once past that, the actual lines for passport agents were not bad, maybe 5-10 minutes.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by NDFan
1) UK citizens (who are in the EU but not in Schengen) used to be able to enter and exit with just a visual scan of their passport page by an Immigration officer. Now, they are required to have their passport info checked by computer...
The new, heightened database checks apply to all EU citizens, UK residents or otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.