Stuck waiting for gates CLT

Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:11 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Currently in CLT for the first time in years.

Arrived from BWI, and while our gate was free, we had to wait for 6 (I think that's what the captain said) planes to get out of the way.

The earlier SFO flight was C15 (I arrived C14), and I probably would have made it if we hadn't been delayed.
If that was AA/622 you were trying to catch, you might have been more lucky staying on your original: 622 diverted to RNO for a medical issue.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
doesn't bode well for my 30 minute connection at CLT on Saturday evening! (don't know yet the gates, either). Oh well, at least there are plenty of hotels near CLT and a 7 am flight the next morning to DCA...
Update -- I ended up canceling that AA ticket and flying UA back to DCA via ORD (1 hour scheduled connection, but we were early, so it was 90 minutes, plenty of time to relax in the lounge).

Am so glad I did, for when I checked the status of the AA flights (KCI-CLT, 30 minute connection, CLT-DCA), I saw that while the first flight left on time, and landed about on time, it waited nearly 55 minutes to get to the gate and people could get off! This was a half-hour after the CLT-DCA flight left. Would never have made that connection to DCA, so am glad I didn't have to stay overnight in CLT -- worth it to pay more for the change in flight. (Yes, I know ORD can get storms, but great weather predicted for that evening)
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Currently in CLT for the first time in years.

Arrived from BWI, and while our gate was free, we had to wait for 6 (I think that's what the captain said) planes to get out of the way.

The earlier SFO flight was C15 (I arrived C14), and I probably would have made it if we hadn't been delayed.
Ramp congestion is a serious problem in CLT, especially in E. The majority of the runways are on the A/B side of the airport but the majority of gates are on the C/D/E side of the airport and it causes issues quite often during banks. I have it take 50 minutes to taxi to E26 in the past; not because the gate was occupied but just because there were so many other aircraft in the way.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
If that was AA/622 you were trying to catch, you might have been more lucky staying on your original: 622 diverted to RNO for a medical issue.
Wow!

Although, it's down in SFO, and I'm still flying, so I'm going to disagree with your conclusion
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by dls25
I have it take 50 minutes to taxi to E26 in the past; not because the gate was occupied but just because there were so many other aircraft in the way.
North Carolinians know: don't book tight connections at CLT unless you are willing to miss them occasionally. Be particularly careful if your inbound or outbound uses E concourse. I've misconnected at CLT despite 1:15 for the connection in CAVU weather with an inbound wheels-down 10 minutes before scheduled gate arrival.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by atcdan
You know who doesn't have this problem? DL at ATL.
Ha! Can't tell you the number of times I flew to ATL, arrived early, and had to sit on the tarmac waiting for a gate to open up.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Have seen this far more at PHX than CLT. In fact, not sure we've seen this at CLT, but maybe 30% of the time at PHX.

Cheers.
Funny! I live in PHX and have only experienced it once or twice in the past 10 years. I guess it all depends on the day and time of your flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.