Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chicago ORD AA T3 -> T5 transfer bus now for all airlines (beyond BA and QR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

Saw on OMAAT that there is now a full time bus between T3 and T5 (or rather T3 to T5?) at O'hare now as of today. Previously you had to be flying British or Qatar, but the shuttles only ran around the flight times.

Good news if you're connecting, or even if you are a *A partner connecting to T5.

I wondered how this might work for those of us not flying out of T5. Two things for me:

1) Opportunity for lounge access - that would be huge. I often transit O'hare, and sometimes have 3+ hour layovers. If I could go to T5 for lounge access and spotting planes, that would be awesome.

2) Does the shuttle run T5 to T3? I'm guessing not, since T5 is Intl arrivals (and the handful LCC flights). But the shuttles have to return to T3. Can anyone at O'hare today find out? I suppose if I'm flying at night, I could always hop over to T5 on the bus, then take the train back and go through normal security at T3. Not ideal, but for those of us with long layovers and no UA/AA lounge access, might be an option.

EDIT: looks like you have to have a confirmed ticket for a T5 carrier. Still good news for those AA pax connecting to T5.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the update.

"...8:30AM until 8PM, so that doesn’t quite cover all departures, though does cover most. Furthermore, it’s only supposed to operate in spring, summer, and fall, but not in the slower winter months..."

Link

There's no way a T5-T3 bus will operate, given

1) anyone airside at T-5 has to process entrance formalities, and

2) the landside on-airport rail transit offers by far the least transit time and greater headway.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks for the update.

"...8:30AM until 8PM, so that doesn’t quite cover all departures, though does cover most. Furthermore, it’s only supposed to operate in spring, summer, and fall, but not in the slower winter months..."

Link

There's no way a T5-T3 bus will operate, given

1) anyone airside at T-5 has to process entrance formalities, and

2) the landside on-airport rail transit offers by far the least transit time and greater headway.
Unless something has massively changed at ORD recently, all *arriving* international PAX are immediately processed through CBP, then released Landside. Airside is just like any other US airport, since the US doesn't have immigration checks on exit.

I agree that there won't be much demand for such a transfer, but the bus is already making the trip.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Existing thread on this in the Midwest (née Chicago) forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwe...cting-pax.html

I asked our resident insider ords about the T5-T3 possibility, but there are no plans to allow it. Requiring a boarding pass for a T5 departure negates that possibility anyway.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:41 pm

Thanks for this information. I am flying dca/ord on aa connecting to cx in t5.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:37 pm

Is this bus still in operation and only for AA T3 to BA T5 connecting customers?
What happens if you are on separate records arriving on AA and departing on BA and don't check in online? Will they deny you the ability to use the bus and make you go outside and use the bus?

How about a local ORD customer who prefers the Flagship Lounge at ORD? If you do check in online with BA, will the TSA let you use clear security in the AA Terminal for lounge access?
Could you then take the transfer bus over to T5?

Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by chuck1
Is this bus still in operation and only for AA T3 to BA T5 connecting customers?

yes, still in operation, for all T-5 customers

What happens if you are on separate records arriving on AA and departing on BA and don't check in online? Will they deny you the ability to use the bus and make you go outside and use the bus?

you need a boarding pass for a T-5 departing flight to get on T-3 to T-5 secure-side bus.

How about a local ORD customer who prefers the Flagship Lounge at ORD? If you do check in online with BA, will the TSA let you use clear security in the AA Terminal for lounge access?

I believe so but not positive.

yes, as long as you have a boarding pass for a T-5 departing flight

Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by chuck1

Thanks!
Not sure about mobile BP, but back in the days ATS was still running, I checked in with bags with CX in T5 and took the train to T3. They even let me use Precheck.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
is this operating during the pandemic? do they require printed boarding pass or is an itinerary showing inbound BP and outbound flight segment enough? Transiting AA to QR
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
is this operating during the pandemic? do they require printed boarding pass or is an itinerary showing inbound BP and outbound flight segment enough? Transiting AA to QR
Unfortunately no, the shuttle is not running.
You must go landside, use the landside transfer bus for that transfer and reclear security at Terminal 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.