Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free flight changes June 19-21 for PHX afternoon arrivals/departures

Old Jun 17, 17, 12:40 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb

Just got an email:

Extreme heat, which is forecast to impact Phoenix June 19-21, may affect your upcoming travel plans. If your flight is scheduled to arrive and/or depart Phoenix June 19-21 between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m., we are offering flexibility that will allow you to change your travel plans without a fee.

The high temperatures, which will peak between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. Phoenix time, could impact flight operations. If you are scheduled to arrive and/or depart Phoenix during this time period, we recommend you change to an earlier or later flight, or connect via a different city, in order to avoid any disruption to your travel plans.

You can change your flights by contacting reservations at +1-800-433-7300.

Before heading to the airport, be sure to check your flight status on the American Airlines app or at aa.com, and sign up for flight status notifications.

This worked for me as I was hoping to change my 3:30pm PHX-LAX flight to an earlier option.

Gonna be hot here....LoL.

All-time record at PHX is 122 degrees in 1990 and they say it will possibly be hotter on Tuesday.

Safe travels, peeps.

Last edited by 355F1; Jun 17, 17 at 1:30 pm
Old Jun 17, 17, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Glad to see AA being proactive.

Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
All-time record at PHX is 122 degrees in 1990 and they say it will possibly be hotter on Tuesday.
oh WOW
Old Jun 17, 17, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Red face

Dry, though, right?
Old Jun 17, 17, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Dry, though, right?
heh. The air might, I certainly wouldn't be!
Old Jun 17, 17, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Dry, though, right?
I lived in PHX for 2 years and it spanned 3 Summers.
The whole "it's a dry heat" is such a crock. Once it is 110 it is just freaking hot. It's like putting the blowdryer on medium and blowing it on your face all day.
Old Jun 17, 17, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yea 120 in Palm Springs was too much for me even sitting right next to a pool.
Old Jun 17, 17, 3:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
The whole "it's a dry heat" is such a crock. Once it is 110 it is just freaking hot. It's like putting the blowdryer on medium and blowing it on your face all day.
I lived in Arizona for about 20 years and this happened a few times. I'm glad to see AA being proactive about it...since I don't recall either HP or US being so.

And yes, it did get warm, but as long as the morning temperature was still under 90 it wasn't too horrible. The worst was when lows were 95 or higher.
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:30 pm
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
I've been in Las Vegas with 100 degrees and 10% humidity compared with NYC with 80 degrees and 90% humidity...Vegas is MUCH nicer.
Old Jun 17, 17, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I've been in Las Vegas with 100 degrees and 10% humidity compared with NYC with 80 degrees and 90% humidity...Vegas is MUCH nicer.
^ And they do have this invention called air conditioning that works in both buildings and cars.

Of COURSE it's hot in PHX/LAS in the summer...if you're dumb enough to actually stand outside.
Old Jun 17, 17, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
120 is going to suck next week... But 95 and 90% humidity in Singapore was WAY worse. I was dripping, it was awful.
Old Jun 17, 17, 9:12 pm

I was in AZ when it was 115 - definitely felt like I had walked into an oven when I stepped outside. My brother-in-law, who grew up in NY, always says that you don't stand outside during a snowstorm in NY and you don't stand outside when it is over 100 in AZ! Makes sense to me!

The difference is that when you are in humidity in NY and walk into air conditioning, it takes awhile to cool down. When I walked inside in AZ, I immediately cooled off. Difference between that "dry" heat and humidity.

Glad to hear they are being proactive!
Old Jun 17, 17, 9:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Yes, over 100 is hot regardless of humidity. But those who believe there is no difference in how it feels have never lived in a humid area. Come visit us in south Louisiana in August.
Old Jun 17, 17, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Why would the heat affect flight operations? I think it takes a longer distance to take off if the temperature is higher, and if the humidity is lower, but so what, PHX has long runways.
Old Jun 17, 17, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but Plat for a year (yippie)
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
Why would the heat affect flight operations? I think it takes a longer distance to take off if the temperature is higher, and if the humidity is lower, but so what, PHX has long runways.
As far as I know, it has to do with the density of the air. Warm air is less dense than cold air, thus, heavy objects (such as airplanes) are not as well supported in warmer air.

I invite correction. I am not an aeronautical engineer, but I recollect hearing about that when flying to South Africa during the summer. Take-offs and landings were bunched in the cooler mornings and evenings.
Old Jun 17, 17, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach View Post
As far as I know, it has to do with the density of the air. Warm air is less dense than cold air, thus, heavy objects (such as airplanes) are not as well supported in warmer air.

I invite correction. I am not an aeronautical engineer, but I recollect hearing about that when flying to South Africa during the summer. Take-offs and landings were bunched in the cooler mornings and evenings.
Correct, which is why you see so many very late night and morning departures in Middle Eastern countries. Also, Google 'Hainan Airways Las Vegas' and you'll see they adjusted their flight schedule for the very same reason.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: