Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free flight changes June 19-21 for PHX afternoon arrivals/departures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free flight changes June 19-21 for PHX afternoon arrivals/departures

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by AZbba
I think it has more to do with the max certified temperatures for the planes, not necessarily performance.
Yes, it has to do with the limits the aiframe has been certified for.

IIRC it's 118 degrees where some planes are no longer legal to take off. I think RJ's.
There is no design/certification limitation that says the maximum temperature for the CRJ is 118°F/47.7°C.

The maximum takeoff temperature for the Bombardier CRJ is ISA+35°C. This means the maximum permissible temperature will vary with altitude, air pressure and temperature, all of which need to be calculated to arrive at the ISA. Only then will a pilot be able to determine if the plane can fly or not in the present/anticipated weather conditions.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I was on 985 PHX-JFK yesterday (21 June) that departed at 315pm when the heat was about 116 degrees. Cabin was warm prior to takeoff, but we didn't sit long on the runway. Pushback was at 315pm and we started down the runway at around 330pm. The aircraft was fairly full, and we were nose up with about 4,000 feet to go (taking off to the west) on the runway. No difficulty with the left turn around South Mountain on the climb out.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Glad you had good luck, but at 116F on a mainline jet, traveling with the prevailing winds and a segment length well within (adjusted) range, you had little to fear.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am surprised to see AA is still keeping PHX as a hub. Too many overlapping destinations with DFW or LAX already.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by mediator
I am surprised to see AA is still keeping PHX as a hub. Too many overlapping destinations with DFW or LAX already.
Maybe they wanted to learn from the mistakes of America West de-hubbing LAS (which Southwest took over) or US Airways de-hubbing PIT (Southwest moved in). Not everyone flying to a hub is changing planes. If AA were stupid enough to de-hub PHX and expect everyone flying to Phoenix to be happy to change planes in DFW or LAX, Southwest will, once again, be happy to move in and take their customers. What's worse is that once Southwest moves in and takes the prior airline's customers, they never come back!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Maybe they wanted to learn from the mistakes of America West de-hubbing LAS (which Southwest took over) or US Airways de-hubbing PIT (Southwest moved in). Not everyone flying to a hub is changing planes. If AA were stupid enough to de-hub PHX and expect everyone flying to Phoenix to be happy to change planes in DFW or LAX, Southwest will, once again, be happy to move in and take their customers. What's worse is that once Southwest moves in and takes the prior airline's customers, they never come back!
But Phoenix has two airports and G4 is dominating AZA. I'm sure even if WN moves into PHX, they will have a hard time to compete with G4.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

There are multiple threads on AA hubs, flight speculation, etc. Please use one of those for discussion of the viability of the PHX hub.

Let's keep this thread focused on heat/weather related issues and impact on AA ops at PHX.

aztimm
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
A few summers back I got a sizable voucher for volunteering in PHX. I had no urgency on my arrival time and was confirmed on a later flight. There is a passenger/cargo weight threshold for the heavy aircraft to takeoff, depending on outside temps too.

Watching the gate agents and pilots do math on the takeoff weight was reason enough for me to bow out....no one could agree :-)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere (or if PHX is a BE market), but those holding basic economy tickets can only change to other flights with B inventory.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I fly MCI-PHX semi-often and have never noticed a BE fare. WN also competes in the market and Allegiant is starting MCI-Mesa (?) soon. Wonder if we'll start seeing BE on AA once Allegiant is up and running...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.